Main Menu

Stewart Perkins Funeral Thursday 16th June 2016

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 07 June, 2016, 06:56:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

COMMANDO FORCES

I've just got back and Deborah has given permission to show the flowers, the artwork and a few other things. I'm just scanning the Service order in now and I'll post up everything either later tonight or first thing in the morning.
I'll post the pictures on separate replies, so that if they need to be scrolled across, then at least it will be one picture at a time. All I ask is that no-one replies until all the pictures are up.

COMMANDO FORCES

Stewart's funeral was a wonderful thing, the weather was bright and warm and the setting was not like any other that I had been to for such similar events.

John and myself waited at the Ex-Servicemen's Social Club for the funeral cortege to stop and then slowly drive past. Then the convoy of family and friends followed behind and drove through Wymondham's narrow and picturesque streets until we exited onto the main road.

We then drove to GreenAcres Woodland Burial and just from the drive in, you knew it was a serene place. The parking was spread around the trees and not so obtrusive, so as to spoil the calm that was in the air.

We made our way to the Woodland Hall, where a large gathering of family and friends awaited the arrival of Stewart. There were current military friends from the United States Air Force in their uniforms, friends from his military days, friends from his amazing days working with the cadets and a sprinkling of friends from his comic life. There were many others there from other aspects of his life as well.

Once everyone was there he was carried into the hall and we all entered and took our seats, where we picked up the beautiful and thoughtful order of service. His beloved Deborah sat at the front, while the Celebrant began the service. Stewart was in the front with large glass panes behind him and a view of the trees basking in the sunlight.

Then began the speeches from friends and loved ones. There were funny stories recounted and many of them involved his love of 2000 AD and Judge Dredd. He seemed to try and gather new readers everywhere he went. There was even one mention of 'Grumpy' along the way which brought a smile to my face, one of many during the speeches. There were also heartfelt stories of love and friendship, that some found very difficult to say due to this being their sad goodbye to Stewart.

Deborah read out a touching poem that she had composed herself and it conveyed her love for Stewart in a beautiful way. This was followed by the Last Post and two minutes silence and then Stewart was carried out to the main theme of Star Wars for the family committal.

You think you know someone is generous and giving of his time but when I heard from all the others that he did similar things for, you wonder how on earth he managed to fit it all in

It was a very special moment and I'm proud that I was there to say my farewell and also help the forum say their goodbye as you will see from what we helped with.

I must thank the following people for their time and efforts put in at this difficult time and let me say that everyone did everything for the love of a fallen friend.

Daniel Carey-George donated the JUDGE LOGAN badge, which he wore for the duration of his time at rest, until the funeral itself.
Mike Marshall donated his time and skill in donating the Order of Service.
Henry Flint for his wonderful picture of Judge Logan in front of his tank.
PJ Holden for his deep and emotive picture of Stewart.
Jake Lynch for his Star Fan picture that was lovingly crafted.
Barry Renshaw for his Class of '79 and Dredd adding Judge Logan to the roll call.

And also the forum for their donations for the flowers and the charities and their posts of love for Stewart. Deborah has read these two threads and it has shown her how loved he was by so many in our band of 2000 AD brotherhood.

Now for the pictures and I will start with the Order of Service

COMMANDO FORCES

Now for the flowers. I have enclosed one of ours from the service and one from when I picked them up in the bright sunlight, just so you can see the colours and detail a little more.

Now for another flower decoration which showed part of his love in life, scooters, can you believe it  ;) I didn't take pictures of the flowers from close family as I thought they were too personal.

COMMANDO FORCES

Now for a wall of photos, which people brought in and shared their memories. I brought one which is on the right screen on the right side. It shows Stewart in the pub with us lot for the private Dredd screening.

COMMANDO FORCES

These last two pictures show a wonderful plaque and also a card that was filled with loving tributes and also his Tankie beret.

I'm sure the forum wish Deborah and her family the very best for the future and to know that she is always welcome to see any of us at a convention or a gathering and we'll make her very welcome.

STEWART PERKINS R.I.P.

JOE SOAP

A wonderful tribute and goodbye, albeit far too soon.

Tjm86

My only regret, following this thread, is that I never had the opportunity to meet the aforementioned gentleman.  The strength of feeling that has been generated by his passing has surely to be the greatest testimony to his character.

I'm even able to find it in me to forgive the fact that he was a tanky!  (I guess we all have our minor flaws.)

TordelBack

My god that was a tough read. Well done John, and all the contributors. A powerful tribute to a great guy.  We should all be so well loved.

Goaty

amines2058

Never met Stewart but wish I had as he seems to have been well loved by all. Reading the above sat here in work John and am struggling to hide the 'grit' in my eye.  :'(
RIP Stewart

critter

Buttonman

Well done for a great commentary of events John and for letting us all take a small part in them. It will be comfort to his family that he was so well regarded.

Jim_Campbell

I'm still pissed off that I picked Buttonman over Logan in the 2000AD forum dead pool. So close, and yet...

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Steve Green

Dunk!

Cheers for the photos, John, much appreciated.

He'll be greatly missed.

Dunk!
"Trust we"