Main Menu

Do we know what Dredd looks like?

Started by kev67, 28 April, 2021, 10:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Andy

Quote from: gogilesgo on 29 April, 2021, 11:32:05 AM
I have long been mesmerized by the sketch that Bisley made for Judgement on Gotham.

Totally non-canon, totally unauthorised, and totally rejected by management but a great look. Almost Bruce Wayne-ish.

I am too much of a noob to upload images, but it's on page 150 of Thrill Power Overload if someone else can do the honours.

Joe's never really been a fan of facial hair

JayzusB.Christ

I have long been mesmerized by the sketch that Bisley made for Judgement on Gotham.

Totally non-canon, totally unauthorised, and totally rejected by management but a great look. Almost Bruce Wayne-ish.

I am too much of a noob to upload images, but it's on page 150 of Thrill Power Overload if someone else can do the honours.

It's a funny one, that.  Kind of works but he looks a bit too much like, well, Bruce Wayne, as you say, for me.  I'd see Dredd more shaven-headed and grizzled than the debonair semi-Devlin-Waugh type here.  I'd imagine Bisley, buoyed on by nobody asking him to take all the willies and tits out of Sláine, had decided he could do what he wanted.  But I'm glad they stopped him breaking this particular taboo.

EDIT - I also think that while Karl Urban's scowly jaw was perfect for the job in the film, the rest of film Dredd's face somehow doesn't look like the rest Karl Urban's face in my mind.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Bad Andy on 28 April, 2021, 11:42:13 PM

Thread should have been locked at this point. That is the definitive Dredd chin.
Lock up your spoons!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 29 April, 2021, 12:23:57 PM

It's a funny one, that.  Kind of works but he looks a bit too much like, well, Bruce Wayne, as you say, for me.  I'd see Dredd more shaven-headed and grizzled than the debonair semi-Devlin-Waugh type here.  I'd imagine Bisley, buoyed on by nobody asking him to take all the willies and tits out of Sláine, had decided he could do what he wanted.  But I'm glad they stopped him breaking this particular taboo.

EDIT - I also think that while Karl Urban's scowly jaw was perfect for the job in the film, the rest of film Dredd's face somehow doesn't look like the rest Karl Urban's face in my mind. I'll always love him for not taking off the helmet.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

GoGilesGo

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 29 April, 2021, 12:26:49 PM
Quote from: Bad Andy on 28 April, 2021, 11:42:13 PM

Thread should have been locked at this point. That is the definitive Dredd chin.

First time I've seen that panel and it's a beaut but it does follow a common Carlos trope, as evidenced with Stainless Steel Rat, Major Eazy and Cursed Earth Koburn - make all leading men look like James Coburn.

Admittedly here it's a youthful JC before he went prematurely grey, maybe back when he was doing TV westerns in the late 50s.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Funt Solo on 29 April, 2021, 05:14:40 AM
Aye, aye, cap'n:

Having looked at the image for too long, I'm curious about the "Ladies Whale Shop".
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Leigh S

How has this got to page 2 without an imge of Ron Smith's definitive "first ever appearance before we even knew it" of Fargo in Dredd Angel?

http://www.theliberati.net/quaequamblog/2012/08/01/f-is-for-fargo-and-fargo-clones/

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Leigh S on 29 April, 2021, 05:06:13 PM
How has this got to page 2 without an imge of Ron Smith's definitive "first ever appearance before we even knew it" of Fargo in Dredd Angel?

http://www.theliberati.net/quaequamblog/2012/08/01/f-is-for-fargo-and-fargo-clones/

@jamesfeistdraws

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: BPP on 28 April, 2021, 10:53:53 PM

Also worth mentioing that these pictures of Dolman don't count, as by the time we first saw him without a helmet, he'd already had a face change.
@jamesfeistdraws

Dark Jimbo

More to the point, how has this thread got to page 2 without Simon Fraser drawing Joe and Rico at the Academy...?

@jamesfeistdraws

Bad Andy

Quote from: gogilesgo on 29 April, 2021, 01:29:21 PM
First time I've seen that panel and it's a beaut but it does follow a common Carlos trope, as evidenced with Stainless Steel Rat, Major Eazy and Cursed Earth Koburn - make all leading men look like James Coburn.

Admittedly here it's a youthful JC before he went prematurely grey, maybe back when he was doing TV westerns in the late 50s.

This is just one panel of course. He's helmet-less more than he wears the damn thing in this comic. So more if people want more.

Dandontdare

Funt Solo

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 29 April, 2021, 05:21:49 PM
Quote from: BPP on 28 April, 2021, 10:53:53 PM

Also worth mentioing that these pictures of Dolman don't count, as by the time we first saw him without a helmet, he'd already had a face change.

Part of Dredd lore I'm weak on - when did Dolman have a face change?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

TordelBack

In his original appearance, Brothers of the Blood. When he quits the Academy and heads off to be a Space Cadet the Dept makes him alter his appearance to save future confusion (?). Not bothered by Rico or any of the dozen others, though.