Main Menu

Darkie's Mob

Started by milstar, 29 April, 2021, 10:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Funt Solo on 03 May, 2021, 02:37:44 PM
Uh, guys? Can we please stop spelling out the n-word? With the greatest respect. Thank you.

I remember being somewhat taken aback to see it in unedited a Robbie Morrison story in a Dredd Mega Special.  Bit unexpected from the house of Tharg, but then it was coming from an alternative universe racist scumbag version of Pa Angel.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

Must look out that Mega-Special - I don't remember that. Fictional context for that word is interesting - there's always that question of whether or not you could make Blazing Saddles today. Even where the word is used in a supportive narrative.

Having been in the US for near 13 years, usage is clear. Being white, it's not a word for me to be using (except, perhaps, in private, for educational purposes for my daughter). Context is king, as with the Mob reprint that this thread is discussing.

Talking of supportive: thanks, board, for being so.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

CalHab

Quote from: Funt Solo on 02 May, 2021, 04:11:18 PM
- Where are all the British Indian troops? This is Burma - the vast majority of the troops in the British army would not have been white guys.

There were also significant amounts of African troops in the Burma theatre, as well as the Indian Army.

The fact that they have been written out of the British version of the war is an absolute disgrace and causes grief to this day.

broodblik

For some reason history has always poorly reflected the British Colonies contribution to the war effort.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.