Main Menu

Lee Carter or Brian Bolland - Artists Ryder Cup Current vs Classic - Tie 5

Started by Colin YNWA, 07 May, 2021, 06:34:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

As if the news of the morning wasn't bad enough for Current Team the Classic Team is rolling out some very big guns these last couple of rounds - if there was to be a strong start for the Current Team it's hard to imagine it not being pulled back...

That said to my surprise Brian Bolland actually only got to Round 2 in the Classic Tourney swamped as he was by a tide of love for Massimo Belardinelli - it wasn't even that close. That feels a slight false view of this much loved droid.

Likewise Lee Carter got to the second round of the Current Tourney where he was swamped by a tide of love for Cliff Robinson. Can his crisp imaginative stylings surprise us against Bolland?

Time for you to decide your favourite as the droids square up to the tee...

Lee Carter - more info

Or

Brian Bolland - more info

Remember for this tourney you have 5 votes to distribute as you please between these two artists, whole numbers only. So you can vote 5 - 0; 4 - 1; or 3 - 2; either way depending on how much more you like one artist's work over the other.

If you can't be doing with that just name your favourite - remember bold tags, or other ways of highlighting always appreciated - and I'll give them 3 votes and nowt to the other droid.

Three day votes, so this one ends ....

Remember we only consider work for Tharg in these Tourneys

What the heck is all this about - well we have a thread for that

How does this new voting work? Look here and why again?

I don't understand how this works, what are the rules of the Ryder Cup - yep got ya covered there too

Anything else just ask and I'll make something up. Most importantly have fun!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Sean SD

Magnetica

abelardsnazz

Boland will always be held up as creating classic work for the Prog's early days. But Lee has created some incredible work for the modern era, love his work on Dead Eyes and Angelic.

If I could issue half points I would, but as it is it's Brian Bolland 3, Lee Carter 2.

milstar

Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

AlexF

So here's the thing - one can't, CAN'T I say, deny the technical mastery and vivid imagination of B. Bolland. But you also can't underestimate how much I love it when an artist draws things that make my flesh crawl with creepiness and even disgust. And boy howdy, is L. Carter a MASTER of that art.
So yeah, Carter: 3, Bolland: 2.

rogue69

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Even as a small boy, Bolland was my least favourite of the 2000AD artists, so I have no hesitation in awarding this a 5-0 victory to Lee Carter.

SBT

Tomwe

Dog Deever

Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

DrJomster

Hmm, tricky one. Bolland has no doubt delivered on iconic images, but Carter's really quite good in his own right. Rounding a bit, let's go:

Bolland 3 Carter 2
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

I, Cosh

Carter is an artist who has improved a lot over his time with Tharg and his Indigo Prime is a delight. Obviously I like to take every opportunity that presents itself to sneer about how Bolland's clean, realist style isn't for me. In the end, I can't deny it though:

Bolland 4 - 1 Carter
We never really die.

BPP

Funnily my complaint about both artists work is the same but 4-1 Bolland for those classic panels amd covers.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

BPP

I'd just like to add - Colin, if you put Henry Flint against Carlos Ezquerra I will murder you.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd