Main Menu

Dave Evans, R.I.P.

Started by Mike Carroll, 07 May, 2021, 11:32:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacabreMagpie

Quote from: dancornwell on 07 May, 2021, 01:38:57 PM
Really can't take this in. Dave was the guy who gave me a chance. He gave a chance to so many. I can say wholeheartedly that I would not be doing what I do for a living if not for Dave. He was a warm, kind, funny and a genuine good guy. A huge presence if the UK scene, both publications and convention scene. Really hard to take this awful news in. Going to miss his warm character at pretty much every convention I've been to. Its just not going to be the same now is it. I'll raise a glass to you mate at the next convention.
Rest in peace Dave and my deepest sympathies to all his family and friends. X

Yourself, Steven, I and all other artists who honed their craft in the playground that Dave made possible will have to raise a glass to him at the next con we're all together at.

petemaskreplica

So sorry to hear this. What a lovely bloke he was.

dancornwell

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 07 May, 2021, 02:20:45 PM
Quote from: dancornwell on 07 May, 2021, 02:14:50 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 07 May, 2021, 01:56:57 PM
Quote from: dancornwell on 07 May, 2021, 01:38:57 PM
Really can't take this in. Dave was the guy who gave me a chance. He gave a chance to so many. I can say wholeheartedly that I would not be doing what I do for a living if not for Dave. He was a warm, kind, funny and a genuine good guy. A huge presence if the UK scene, both publications and convention scene. Really hard to take this awful news in. Going to miss his warm character at pretty much every convention I've been to. Its just not going to be the same now is it. I'll raise a glass to you mate at the next convention.
Rest in peace Dave and my deepest sympathies to all his family and friends. X

Heh. I remember the email from John asking if you and [redacted] other Dogbreath artist was reliable and we both said you. Such a pleasure to see your career blossom. I know Dave took a kick out of that too.

None of it possible if not for you guys. Sometimes I wish I could have told him to his face, though I probably did every time I saw him. Wish I could again.
Whenever I get asked advice in breaking into comics I always, ALAWAYS, recommend Futurequake Press. I was only messaging him the other week too.
Hope you are bearing up well, though obviously that's a stupid thing to say at this time. Despite how divided the comic community can sometime seem, Dave was always a warm, welcoming presence. Really isn't going to be the same.

He knew. Don't worry. He knew. lso: christ i miss my best friend. (sorry about making this about me )

It is about you. You were his best friend. So don't apologise.

Dudley

I met Dave here on the board, and we collaborated on several things including producing several strips and setting up the relaunch of Futurequake. He was undoubtedly one of the nicest people I have ever had the pleasure to work with, and to count as a friend.  My heart goes out to all those most affected by this loss.  Truly devastating news. 

Alec Worley

Dave was so sweet-natured and positive, truly generous with his time and endlessly enthusiastic about the comic we all love. He was my first comics editor and always a friendly face at conventions. I was always glad to see him. Such a lovely, lovely bloke!
My sincerest condolences to his close friends and family.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: dancornwell on 07 May, 2021, 02:43:13 PM

Absolutely this, Richmond. Given the way that this sad news has effected me, who was a Pluto to Dave's Sun, then the effects on you, a Mercury, must be indescribable.

xxx

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Lobo Baggins

Absolutely devastating and heartbreaking news. Over and over again, Dave proved himself to be an incredibly patient and generous man, a great editor as well as a talented artist and amazingly prolific letterer. He even admitted to chuckling at some of my terrible jokes. I can't believe he's gone.

I was only emailing him the other day! How can this be?
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Trout

I return, land-walking fools, to pay grudging tribute to this departing minion of the mighty king fish!

And that's quite enough of that nonsense.

Dave Evans, Bolt-01, was one of the good guys. He was a creative person, down to his DNA, who was unstoppable in his enthusiasm and acceptance of everyone.

He was driven to create his own work. I'm sitting here with a pile of comics: Zarjaz, Dogbreath, Whistler and more. As I opened the bag they were in, I also found a sketch of Tharg that he did, unasked, when sending me some comics. He just loved drawing and telling stories. It didn't matter how many setbacks he encountered. He just kept creating.

I'll never forget the delight on Dave's face when he first showed me the character "Troutmann", a kilted fish-like Stront who teamed up with Whistler and loved to bellow "Never forget the Trout is evil!" I didn't quite know how to react - I was overwhelmed and thrilled that he'd do such a cool, fun thing. I'll always treasure the experience, and always remember the conversation in that student union building in Oxford, where the Dreddcons happened.

And he encouraged others. In accepting collaborators, Dave only ever asked them to share his love for comics. As this thread shows, he mentored and supported so many people.

My love goes out to everyone in our community today. I also send my best wishes to Dan (who I nicknamed Mini-Bolt, leading Dave to take me aside at a con and thank me for including his son in our online banter) and the rest of Dave's family. I cannot imagine what you're going through now.

What a loss to us all. I'm crying at my desk here.

- Trout

Art

Thirded or fourthed. Not much I can do from here but if there is let me know.

Not really sure what do say about Dave except he will be hugely missed. I feel like I should have known him better than I should, considering, but never once thought there was a time limit on that. Bit of a hammer blow.

Rest In Peace, Bolt. 

Spaceghost

Just returning from long term lurking to say how gutted I am and to pay my respects.
I met Dave a few times at cons and he always made me feel like I'd known him a lot longer than I had.
A lovely, talented man gone too soon.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

MacabreMagpie

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 07 May, 2021, 02:54:39 PM
I was only emailing him the other day! How can this be?

That's the weird thing, isn't it? I sent him a project update mere days ago for something I was working on for him that went unanswered and even now I keep expecting I'll hear back. Seems unfathomable.

ming

Terrible news; very sad to hear this.  Bolt - you'll be much missed.

Dudley

Have had this on my study wall for years: Bolt's rendition of a few boarders as fatties for a poster we did for Dreddcon back in the day.

paddykafka

Never had the pleasure of knowing Dave myself, but it is clear from the thoughts expressed here that he was a pretty special and decent bloke. My condolences to his family, friends - including, of course, all you good people who have posted here - and his colleagues. May Dave RIP.

sheridan

Quote from: broodblik on 07 May, 2021, 12:35:14 PM
From 2000AD's twitter feed:

"We are devastated to hear of the death of Dave Evans - also known as Bolt-01 - a much loved member of the 2000 AD fandom, as well as editor of Futurequake, Zarjaz, Dogbreath and a host of other fanzines. Our hearts go out to his family and friends.

See you at the bar, Bolt."

link here