Main Menu

Fringe Binge

Started by Tjm86, 21 December, 2022, 06:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

Well, given the current drought of new and inspiring television productions, I've turned back to my bookshelf and the (to my mind) highly under-rated "Fringe".

Having just finished the first series it is interesting how it compares to a number of related series of the time.  I have a passing recollection of someone having pegged it as "X-files for the 21st Century."  In some respects I can understand that.  There is the "mythology" of the series, clearly lifted from X-files.  Then there is the "monster of the week" motif.

One thing that strikes me after the first series is that the "monster of the week" approach is clearly different from the X-files.  In the latter, this is a "one and done" episode that can be cheerfully ignored.  With Fringe even this episodes tie in.  There are so many episodes that contain events related to the central theme.

Another thing is the issue of how to deal with the central "mythology."  It starts with the idea of "The Pattern" but by mid-season this has become the "ZFT."  Whilst there are clear similarities, the drop-off is a little jarring.  I do wonder if this is why I had issues with it first time round whilst on a second (and now third) viewing, it worked far better.

The Walter Bishop character becomes far more interesting as the series progresses.  Leaving aside some of the remarks about his willingness to abuse mind-altering substances (to the point of being admonished by Timothy Leary), his relationship with science and reality is fun to the least.  Definitely more than the "Alternate" of later series.  Arguably the influence of Babylon 5 with a long term view of a story is at play here.

Moving into the second series with the alternate universe becoming more of an issue is intriguing.  Clearly the series is finding its feet and becoming more confident in its future.  Where the first series almost paid lip service to the "mythology" until the tail end, this tries to play up to it right from the off. 

sheridan

Am I imaginging this, or was there an animated episode?

IndigoPrime

What I found interesting about Fringe was how mediocre it was to begin with. It was a B-list X-Files, with one person weirdly linked to everything. None of it hung together. But it had something that kept us watching – although I'd imagine it benefitted heavily from being in that era of TV where we watched a lot of crap.

But then something clicked. After that first run, it was like the people behind it got what they really wanted to do. They built an interesting concept and mythos. Right through to the end, it was excellent. I also bloody loved [spoiler]"Manhatan" and slowly catching on that, no, this wasn't a typo[/spoiler].

sheridan

I've seen little bits of it past the first series, and assume that [spoiler]Manhatan[/spoiler] is the place where the [spoiler]two towers still stand[/spoiler] - the 21st century equivalent of sticking airships in the background so you know it's an alternative* or parallel** dimension!

* copyright Zenith

** copyright Luther Arkwright

IndigoPrime

I won't say anything for fear of spoiling it for those who've not watched the show. And I've no idea if it still stands up. But I'd say if you can get through the first series, it's probably going to give you a lot of fun as it barrels towards its conclusion, lobbing frequent twists into the mix.

RookieNerd

Fringe is a series I liked, but forgot about, but hey I think that is just maybe getting older. I remember it being pretty cool with wierd sci-fi stuff going on. Like a X-files, Twilight Zone type of vibe. The dynamic of Walter Bishop and his son relationships is what I remember the most and it was doozy.

rabbie77

Loved Fringe. As others suggest, once it really got going, some brilliant twists and turns.