Main Menu

Hello and I'd like to ask for a little help with what to read

Started by Zoso5, 28 December, 2022, 06:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoso5

I registered a while back, but I don't think I ever said "Hi," so Hi.

Middle aged American reader here who decided to dive into Dredd and 2000 AD about a year and a half ago.  I've been reading mostly chronologically and I'm up to about 1993. I'd seen the warnings about the 90s and, sure enough, I'm not enjoying myself as much as I was. I'd really like to pick up the pace.

Is there a guide to recommended 2000 AD stories similar to this: https://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=46845.msg1036993#msg1036993 (This is excellent by the way. I'd love to see the "twice as long" version!)

Or is this all I really need: https://2000adbestever.blogspot.com/2022/01/best-thrill-ever.html

broodblik

I will continue to read the Judge Dredd Case Files. They are currently @ 2004. But if you do not mind digital you can always get the digital progs from 2003 until present.

I can also recommend getting the Brink and The Out from the webstore they are excellent but it al depends on your taste. Classic stuff like Nemesis, Slaine and Rogue Trooper is a fully collectible as well.

And before I forget welcome to the board.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

JohnW

Zoso, everything after 1992 is something of a blur to me, so there'll be others better able to answer your question. I just wanted to welcome you to the board. I've only been here a few months myself, but oh – the stories I could tell!
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

broodblik

The Best of 2000AD is also a good option volume 1 is out now with volume 2 coming end of January.

https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/XB799

https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/XB800

I will also just start getting the latest prog 2312 and start reading and then jump back to the older stuff with time.

https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/PRG2312P/2000-ad-prog-2312
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Trooper McFad

The above posters have summed it up. My personal suggestions after I had a hiatus would be Nikolai Dante & Kingdom.

Welcome and if you have any spare time over the year create something for the Annual 2000AD advent calendar and post it next December 👍🏻😁. I'm a trier
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Colin YNWA

I'd flip it on its head and read some current stuff as frankly some of the recent thrills are the best ever. Personally I'd go:

The Out
Brink
Lawless
Kingdom (well newish)
Brass Sun

Then circle back around to classics like Halo Jones, Nemesis and of course Nikolai Dante. Frankly the majority is all good and we've not even mentioned John Smith's work yet!

IndigoPrime

I'd 100% agree with trying the six-volume Best of 2000 AD. That'll bet you a bunch od different strips and from there you can dig deeper into things you might like.

Zoso5: are there any strips in particular you have or haven't enjoyed so far?

WhizzBang

If you want to spoil yourself you could go for the Judge Dredd books Origins followed by the 2 volumes of Tour Of Duty.

JohnW

Your best bet is to go back in time to about 1980 or '81 – making sure that you arrive in that era a couple of years before adolescence hits. Then you just get stuck in to whatever is on sale. Nothing simpler.

A word of warning: do not attempt to communicate with boys who are reading Roy of the Rovers. You'll be speaking different languages.
One more thing (and this might save you from a beating): when asked whether Adam and the Ants or Shakin Stevens, the answer is of course Madness.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Richard

Not everything in the 90s was bad. Button Man is excellent. Nikolai Dante started then. Many people would recommend Sinister Dexter, although I wouldn't. There were some good Slaine stories between progs 1104 and 1118. There was a series of one-episode science fiction stories called Pulp Sci-Fi, and a series of fantasy stories called Tales of Telguuth (the latter series has been collected in a book).

The Complete Case Files series has enough good Judge Dredd stories by John Wagner (from the Megazine) to be worth persevering with, in my opinion. But Wagner returned as the main Dredd writer in 2000AD from late 1994, or Case File 21.

JohnW

The Legendary Shark

:-D
Given that "this far" is posting messages on an internet forum frequented by middle-aged, bald-headed, hairy-arsed comic book fans, that isn't what I'd call an encouraging recommendation...
:-D

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JohnW

Zoso5

Thanks for all of the replies.  Just to add a little more info, I'd never read any of this before Spring 2020. I jumped in at Block Mania and kept going chronologically prog by prog. I want to keep reading chronologically, but fast forward through the 90s, only reading what the community considers worthwhile from that decade.  I'm eager to get to the Matt Smith era which I'm gathering was a new Golden Age for 2000 AD.