Main Menu

Dredd Screenplay

Started by Will I. Cooling, 21 May, 2003, 06:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quirkafleeg

Well the far right and the far left do kind of meet eventually...

But then there is Maxist 'communism' and what Stalin ruled over and they aint the same by a long way...

Generally Contrary

Stalin was no more a communist than the Democratic Republic of Congo has been a prime example of democracy.

Spaceghost

hello, i'm new here and this is my first message. am i the only one who reckons that the new dredd film is simply not going to happen? it just seems so unlikely to me. what do you lot think?
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Leigh S

Well, according to interviews Alan Grant did at the time of the first film, Wagner and Grant were asked to put forward a treatment for the first movie.  Having spent weeks coming up with a suitable and original way to go with the film, they were hocked to discover that they would receive no money for there efforts, so  refused to hand over the work they did.  This is allegedly now sitting in Alan Grants bank vault...

I wonder if Rebellion were aware of this, and if they pursued it further?

Leigh S

Thats "shocked and "their"...tut tut....

Queen Firey-Bou

do you still get Torys? werent they all burnt at the stake or something?

pfff i know nothing of these engerlandishways.

So william i'm guessing you don't like much else thats in the prog, much ?

Jonah Jacks

TB Grover all the way for a Dredd screenplay!!(who arsed up that Stallone vehicle?) mind you I'd like to see Nemesis as a live action or cgi movie that would have to be written by Mills or a Charleys War movie/mini series now theres a story that desrves live action treatment

karne

"hello, i'm new here and this is my first message. am i the only one who reckons that the new dredd film is simply not going to happen? it just seems so unlikely to me. what do you lot think?"

Link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ArgueWithScojo/" target="_blank">Discuss the new Dredd films

paulvonscott

"Still, I feel that Fascism is the closest analogue for the government of Mega-City 1."

As Gary pointed out, it's not.  

"They even expelled the mutants."

They did indeed and any mutants found are still expelled.  This may look fascist, and it's certainly unpleasant (because hey, mutants are people too) but actually it was done to maintain civil order.  Because the citizens and mutants couldn't live together. The judges themselves aren't trying to create a perfect race through eugenics.   There is no racial goal of perfection in mega city one.  The ultimate fate of any group creating civil disobedience in mega City One, whether they are punks, fatties or grud-botherers is exile.

Citizens are pretty much free to do what they want, and as long as they don't go breaking the laws (which are there to protect the people and the city) the judges aren't interested.

A Totalitarian Police State is as good a term as any.  

But to be honest, trying to label something like Mega-City is something of a mistake.  What would you need to run a population bigger than the current day USA housed in one city over the ruins of new york?

Will I. Cooling

"Do you reckon the mills fan is really Mr. Mills himself? I've noticed a bit of Mills promotion on the board recently, and that letter in this weeks prog was down right suss, "oh i'm trying to remember a Slaine story that featured Cythrons & the Guildig, is it available as a Graphic novel as I haven't seen it reprinted" Nice timing Tharg!"

I'm not Pat Mills promise!. The only reason I suggested him was that he had written a screenplay for the ML film. Its quite obivous that Wagner & Grant would be the best to script as they have the most experience of the character.

"do you still get Torys? werent they all burnt at the stake or something?"

Hey

"So william i'm guessing you don't like much else thats in the prog, much ?"

You kidding? I thought this prog was great (as they all have been since prog 2003) fav stories ABC Warriors and Snow/Diggle
The I is for 'I can't remember the password to my other account' or Ian. One or the other.

Matt Timson

I always thought Marshal Law was a bit "Judge Dredd with super powers" anyway- but with the Marshal being a bit more 'human'.

Not a criticism or anything- in fact I quite liked it in the early days.  Got a bit silly in the end though...

Matt
Pffft...

Generally Contrary

My apologies.  Those comments were a product of the popular labelling of all authoritarian regimes as fascist.  That is a mistake that runs right across the modern political spectrum.  I'll have to try and be a little more thoughtful in my future analysis.

So... are the Kreelers facists? ;-)

"What would you need to run a population bigger than the current day USA housed in one city over the ruins of new york?"

On a serious note, I am not contrary in this case, I actually agree.  It seems to me that the larger the population, the less that meaningful democracy is possible.  If this is the case, should we not be attempting to arrest the megalopalization of our conurbations?

paulvonscott

I think the Kreelers are basically fascists.

I only make a point of this because Dredd and Mega City got a lot darker in the nineties and there wasn't much benefit for most of this.

I did however like the democracy stuff, I think there could be democracy in mega city one, and more inpuit from citizens, but they blew that one.

Eric Plumrose

The Judges are authoritarian. And Mega-City One doesn't really qualify as a police state. Sure the Judges can be underhand when they need to but they have an overt street presence that rarely requires the use of secret police.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Oddboy

In a lot of ways it makes sense to have the people who have to uphold the law being the same body of people who create the laws - how many times has parliment made new laws or ammended old ones which are completely impractical for the police to enforce?
A case of "you make the bed, you lie in it" for the judges.

Of course it does give oppotunity for mad dictators to assume complete control, but they've got Dredd there to stop any Cal & the monkey of Goodman, and the whole Necropolis fiasco.

If the citizens stopped commiting crimes then they wouldn't have to fear the judges, and the majority of Dredd stories do place him against 'baddies'.  (Even Chopper's a baddie really, reckless skyhog!)

Better set your phaser to stun.