Main Menu

Insurance

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 05 June, 2003, 04:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

Have any of you insured your comics? I have a complete set of 2K, all the specials, all the annuals and all the original print anciallaries (eg poster progs, team ups), all the Complete Dredd/ Law in Order. Everything, in fact, other than the Best Ofs/ Eagle reprints.

I reckon this lot would cost over ?1500 to replace, which is the ceiling for notifying most UK home insurance companies about the collection. Given that they are kept in my loft they could be damaged by damp, rain coming through a hole, or a busrt pipe or water tank.

What do you think it would cost to replace them? Any idea who would value them? To have them insured, you need to have a valuation passed to the insurer.
Lock up your spoons!

WoD

I checked with my insurer as there was a section on the form about collections.  Mine stated that if the collection would not be completely destroyed (in value) if there was one missing then they did not have to be seperately insured.  Not sure if that makes much sense, but if you do find anything out please post it up on the board.

Cheers,
WoD.

The Enigmatic Dr X

My insuer tells me I need to give a value for my collection. Sorry for the rambling post. My question is this: who can give me a valuation?

It needs to be sufficiently official to satisfy Direct Line; not just a "Well, I think it is worth X"
Lock up your spoons!

The Enigmatic Dr X

Actually, I still need Prog 1163 to finish it all off... good money will be paid!
Lock up your spoons!

Oddboy

You could probably go by this - you'd have to add up the price of each issue you've got though!

Of course, when buying a many comics, you'd ususally get a large batch for considerably less ?s then this guide; but you can't rely on occasional bargains for insurance purposes...

Link: http://www.2000adonline.com/index.php3?zone=collector&page=price" target="_blank">Price guide

Better set your phaser to stun.

Wake

who can give me a valuation?

I can.

W. R. Logan

Mine are covered on my house insurance. Just had to submit what I had and supposed to update it each year.

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

W. R. Logan

go to somewhere like the http://www.silveracre.com/>Silver Acre site, see what they currently go for and base your valuation on that with where you got your details.

Also make it known the age of the collection and that prices will obviously go up in time. I had my isurance company send me a letter saying that they would replace any losses at current market values so they dont try and give me 8p if my Prog 1 goes up in flames.
If your collection is bagged and boxed include those in your valuation, ?3 for a box or ?5 for a pile of bags might not sound much but then multiply it by how many you need to house a collection of 2000's.

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

W. R. Logan

I'd put the value of the first three Progs much higher. Remember its nots not always what its worth its how much its going to cost you to replace it.

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Lofgan.

Wake

Here's the bulk list I've just sent him.

Prog 1 ?100 - no spinner
Prog 2 ?100 - no biotronic stickers
Prog 3 (no red alert wallet) , 71, 72, 77, 78 ?20 each

Prog 4-20 ?5 each = ?85
Progs 21-200 ?2 each = ?360
Progs 201-500 ?1 each = ?300
Progs 501-1199 ?50p each = ?350
Progs 1200-1350 ?1 each = ?150
Prog 1208 = ?20

Total ?1565

2. All annuals - including Dredd/ Rogue Trooper

?10 for 2000AD 1978 and Dredd 1981
?5 each for everything else

3. All summer/ winter specials

?15 for Summer Special 1977
?10 for Sci-Fi 1978
?3 each for everything else

4. All team ups
5. All poster progs

?2 each

> 7. All Complete Dredd/ Law in Order
>
?1 each.

> 2. Zenith (all of them - five or six volumes)
>
?150 for the set

Does anyone want to chip in and dispute any of the values I've given. This kind of
valuation is obviously a fairly broad brush approach, based on how much I would charge if
commissioned to replace such a collection.

Cheers,

Wake

The Enigmatic Dr X

Ta very much! Never knew the Titan Zeniths were worth anything like that. Given that I prefer to read back progs - Ebay here I come!
Lock up your spoons!

Oddboy

What would you say for Megazines?
(I've a complete run minus 11 issues from Vol 3 (Preacher era)...)
Better set your phaser to stun.

longmanshort

"Remember its not always what its worth its how much its going to cost you to replace it"

I'm pretty sure someone was selling a Prog 1 for ?400 at Bristol, minus any free gift but in pretty good nick.

They were also charging ?70 for prog 7!

Replacing those progs could turn out to be damn expensive, depending on who you go to.
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

Wake

IMO Megazines in bulk are worth ?2 each for vols 1 and 4 (because it's bigger), and ?1 each for vols 2 and 3.

Wake

Wake

You may not get quite that much on eBay, but you should be able to get at least ?100 total. Vols 4 and 5 are worth the most. Vol 1 may not be worth more than ?15.

Wake