Main Menu

Life's so drokking fantastic because (the rebirth)

Started by vzzbux, 22 April, 2010, 08:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Something Fishy

today was just stunning here so we Kayaked around the Carrick Roads.  Lovely.

maryanddavid

I brought Brendan to his first game at Croke park, and it ended up a great result and a great day.

Dandontdare

there's a remake of Prisoner Cell Block H starting tonight on C5 - although how it could top the original is pretty hard to imagine.

Frank

Quote from: Dandontdare on 28 August, 2013, 05:54:57 PM
there's a remake of Prisoner Cell Block H starting tonight on C5 - although how it could top the original is pretty hard to imagine.

Apparently, they forgot to include either Vinegar Tits or The Freak. To omit one may be regarded as a misfortune, to omit both looks like carelessness.   

It's all going to be a bit grim and realistic, like the Nolan Bat films and everything else. Where's the room for Lizzie's cries of "where's me grog?" in a Wentworth where everyone's on crack? How can a drama full of nubile RADA graduates playing caged lesbians hope to capture the charm of a show where Doreen was the juvenile lead and cast pin-up? When Boardwalk Empire features someone's head being beaten to a bloody pulp every week, Queen Bea grabbing someone by the straps of their dungarees and threatening to bash them probably isn't going to cut it anymore.

Dandontdare

*sigh* You're right of course, it'll never be the same. It used to bring me roses - I wish it would again. But that was on the outside, and things were different then

P.S. the woman who sang that was a native of my home town (Blackburn, Lancs). So there.

willthemightyW

Girlfriend is out of hospital! GIRLFRIEND IS OUT OF HOSPITAL!!!!!!! Extremely, ridiculously happy.
Having her over tomorrow (upon checking the what time of morning it is, I suppose I should say tonight), picking a film, might go for the most romantic of all... First Blood.

Did I mention my girlfriend's out of hospital?  :D
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

Something Fishy

Zarjazzer

Great news willthemightyW.

Mine is rather less important, still I managed to actually get rid of three bags of sci fi books cluttering up the house by donating them to charideee. Of course this means I now have room for some more... :-\
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Sideshow Bob

Just thought I'd share this with you guys......
Sometimes people whose work you admire,  turn out to be a bit disappointing in real life, or not particularly friendly.......but sometimes it works out even better than you had ever hoped for !!

An artist I admire greatly is Sean Phillips , who has contributed many great covers and artwork over the years for 2000AD......I am lucky enough to own several pieces of his original artwork, ( Dredd and Devlin Waugh ) and a couple of convention sketches by him,  and the twice previously I've met him he was very friendly, extremely chatty and appeared an all round really nice guy......

Well,  my brother Alastair has an exceptional piece of his artwork ( a wrap around cover from 1991 ) showing Dredd on his Lawmaster,  dispensing justice to several crims ( including the Bobbsey Twins ) in his usual manner....
I noticed that Sean was having an art exhibition in Kendal during / around the time of the Lakes International Comic Festival and said to my brother..."Why don't you get in touch with Sean via his blog, and see if he would like to borrow your piece for his exhibition"....
After some initial reluctance, he eventually did,  and Sean immediately replied saying " That would be really great as he didn't have any of his Dredd work from that particular period, and that he would really like to borrow my brothers' piece "...

This is the piece...

Long story short, we dropped the piece off at his house, had a coffee with him, ( made by his lovely wife ),  and spent a good hour or so in his Studio discussing artwork and lots of things 'comic related'.... 
He gave us a tour of his work station and Studio .......An absolutely fascinating insight for anyone interested in art...We got to see the painted cover for the next Fatale Edition he had just completed ( wonderful ), his artwork for a Movie Poster he is doing,  and even had a quick glance at the new script for Fatale which he had just received from Ed Brubaker, and which Sean was doing the pages for.....
To top off the visit he gave us both signed copies of his new hardback book The Art of Sean Phillips, not released to the market yet.....

All in all,  an absolutely fabulous day for my brother and I. 
It was a real pleasure to meet such a genuinely 'nice bloke', who truly loves the job he has, and who also made us both feel extremely welcome in his home ......
An absolute gentleman, a very friendly man and an absolute 'top bloke'.......along with being an awesomely talented artist.....Something that he surprisingly put down to 'lots and lots of hard work' and not 'natural' talent.....

If you are at the Lakes Comic Festival in October,  take the time to visit his exhibition, details of which are on his blog.

link : http://theartofseanphillips.blogspot.co.uk/

Cheers

" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Frank

Great story, Bob, and interesting to learn that Phillips is one of the few folk working in comics today still cranking out painted art. Your brother's Phillips piece is a beaut, even without the silver effect of the printed version.

Link Prime

Nice one Bob, Sean sounds as nice a bloke as he is a talented artist.  :thumbsup:

maryanddavid

Great story Bob, I have had a little help from Sean a while back, and he is a nice guy. His work with Brubaker is really great.

Sideshow Bob

Quote from: sauchie on 05 September, 2013, 05:34:44 PM

Great story, Bob, and interesting to learn that Phillips is one of the few folk working in comics today still cranking out painted art. Your brother's Phillips piece is a beaut, even without the silver effect of the printed version.

Cheers guys, it was a fabulous and very informative day out for my brother and me....What a great bloke !!

Sauchie......Sean had tried to scan the piece for inclusion in his book The Art of Sean Phillips ,  but the only scans he could get were the ones that included the 'silvered finish' ( done by 2000AD ) over the original white acrylic....
Unfortunately because of that 'silvering' he couldn't get a decent enough scan to include it in his book...
Shame,  as it really is a cracking piece,  and looks actually better 'out of the frame' than when it's behind the glass.... The colours are astonishingly vibrant in 'real life'...
And unfortunately for all us 'original art' collectors,  the more artists move to digital,  the less of these type of pieces are going to be around..

Cheers
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Charlie boy

Quote from: Dandontdare on 28 August, 2013, 05:54:57 PM
I've got to admit, me and one of my friends are really enjoying this!

I, Cosh

That Sean Phillips sounds great!

Returning the thread to the theme which was running a couple of pages back, I'm currently six weeks into a three month contract working in Basel and have now been asked to extend this for up to a year. The city itself is fairly small but a lot livelier and artier than I'd expected and, never having lived outside the UK (or central Scotland for that matter) I seem to have lucked into something I've always fancied doing but never made any real effort to immanentize.
We never really die.