Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ming

Ben, you know you can never make O'Neill images too big; that level of insane detail is the gift that goes on giving.  Great to see a better scan - I love the eerie glow from the candle...

For me, there aren't that many artists whose colour and B&W work rival each other to the same degree as Kevin O'Neill (Cam Kennedy is another).

hippynumber1

hippynumber1

Skullmo

It's been a bit slow on here this week . .  . anyone got any new art?

:P

Lovely pages Hippy - you must be pleased with those beauties!
It's a joke. I was joking.

ming

It does seem a bit manic around here lately :lol:

Great pages, Mark - I'm especially loving that Colin W page...

Simon Beigh

Nice pages, Mark! I particularly like that Colin Wilson Rogue page with the spaceships panel.

ming

That new Fabry Saine page really is a beauty; made me take a closer look at the page I have from Slaine the King.  Although there's a lot to be said about the looseness and fluidity exhibited in Fabry's art these days, I was always a sucker for the ultra-detailed earlier work (rosy-tinted-spectacle-wearing-reactionary that I am).

And in the spirit of Steve Cook's 'Largin' it'...

Jim_Campbell

Wasn't Fabry drawing on ma-HOO-sive pages when he did Slaine the King...?

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

ming

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 05 September, 2013, 11:52:54 AM
Wasn't Fabry drawing on ma-HOO-sive pages when he did Slaine the King...?

The page I have is pretty much standard art-droid favoured art board size... (35 x 50cm-ish at a guess.)  If you want mahoosive, you should look at Colin Wilson, Ian Gibson (Day of the Droids, for example), or Ewins / McCarthy Bad Co.  They're HUGE (I think I made some measurements and posted them earlier in the thread).

ming

After a bit of digging...

Quote from: ming on 25 July, 2012, 09:22:32 AM
Yeah, that's the same size for my Gibson Robo-Hunter (the actual artwork, panel-border to panel border, comes in at 51.5 x 42cm).

I had a quick look for other outsized artwork I have:

Bad Company (first run): 43.5 x 36cm (on a 52 x 44cm page)
Colin Wilson Dredd (his first story): 49 x 36cm (56.5 x 40cm page; his Rogue stuff is along the same lines)

hippynumber1

Simon Harrison's 'Revere' pages are roughly 32"x24"

Sideshow Bob

That's an absolutely brilliant Slaine page Ming......

And, for me anyway, a most wonderful depiction of Slaines' Warp Spasm...
Just incredible stuff....

Cheers
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Graff Vynda K

Quote from: ming on 05 September, 2013, 08:29:13 AM
Ben, you know you can never make O'Neill images too big; that level of insane detail is the gift that goes on giving.  Great to see a better scan - I love the eerie glow from the candle...

For me, there aren't that many artists whose colour and B&W work rival each other to the same degree as Kevin O'Neill (Cam Kennedy is another).

The candle is done with layers of white-out over the markers. Incredibly subtle effects. And yes! A colour piece from Cam Kennedy would be high on my list; another beautiful colourist.

Greg M.

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 05 September, 2013, 12:07:15 PM
Simon Harrison's 'Revere' pages are roughly 32"x24"

Yes - the Revere Bk III pages are the biggest pieces of original comic art I've ever seen - Bk I and II are already substantially larger than the norm, but the Bk III ones are colossal.

Graff Vynda K

Quote from: SimeonB on 05 September, 2013, 10:49:11 AM
Nice pages, Mark! I particularly like that Colin Wilson Rogue page with the spaceships panel.

That's a fabulous Colin Wilson.

The Wilson Rogue page I have is on board 22 x17, but the panels themselves are on paper, cut out and stuck to the board. Is this what Wilson usually does? I don't have another to compare (poor me).

The Brett Ewins DPS's from Haunting of Sector House 9 are almost too big for my house; on board size 32 x 22. Too big to frame, don't fit in any storage folders, just sitting around scaring the kids right now. Eeek!

For comparison, the O'Neill 1985 annual page is just slightly bigger than A4.