Main Menu

Nikolai Dante in today's Metro

Started by SmallBlueThing, 23 November, 2012, 04:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing

Fucking phone- im on a train and have been trying to ext this thread in for the last half an hour. Anyway- today's Metro contains a big pic of the cover of Dante: Too Cool To Kill, as part of a spread on graphic novels. It's the choice of a mr david bishop of an edinburgh university. Doesnt mention him being an ex-tharg though. Also, reviews of Grandville: Bete Noire and the Nao of Brown later in the paper.

SBT

Colin YNWA

Very cool. Of course Mr Bishop (assuming it the same?) should have declared an interest (did he?) given he was involved in its creation... mind who cares. Nice one...

Actually here's the online version. I'm off to read it...

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/newsfocus/918768-batman-and-beyond-how-a-dose-of-reality-revitalised-the-graphic-novel

jannerboyuk

Do all journos have a cliche machine with a big button labelled "press when out of ideas"?

Richmond Clements

Quote from: jannerboyuk on 23 November, 2012, 08:15:06 PM
Do all journos have a cliche machine with a big button labelled "press when out of ideas"?

A more common name for it is a "mortgage".

Daveycandlish

At least the headline wasn't ZAP! POW! Comics finally grow up!
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Colin YNWA

Whats even more interesting is that it even acknowledges that its an old story. Referring back to all the old favourites like Dark Knight, Maus and Watchmen. It really didn't seem to have anything new to say. The expert view manages to prove how inexpert it is... oh and that's not even a Infographic in any real sense. Its really depressing that people are still trotting out this stuff.

Frank

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 23 November, 2012, 06:21:27 PM
Very cool. Of course Mr Bishop (assuming it the same?) should have declared an interest (did he?) given he was involved in its creation... mind who cares. Nice one... Actually here's the online version. I'm off to read it...

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/newsfocus/918768-batman-and-beyond-how-a-dose-of-reality-revitalised-the-graphic-novel

It's definitely our DarkDaysBish-OP; a friend of mine was on a screenwriting course he taught at Napier, where he spoke about editing 2000ad.  That article didn't really seem like it was making the old point about comics not being just for kids anymore, it takes the fact that folk aren't embarrassed to be seen reading a Batman title as it's starting point. Instead, it was emphasising the diversity of material already available - and the point that comics don't necessarily involve spandex can't be made often enough.

The idea that digital platforms could help comics enjoy the same visibility and accessibility as some mainstream fiction is interesting, the idea that distribution to handheld devices might encourage a flood of comics with the merit of EL James and Dan Brown isn't.

Dandontdare

If he'd chosen five diverse graphic novels and NOT included a 2000ad strip folks'd be bitching even more. As a sad commuter who reads the Metro every day, I thought this was a pretty good idiot-level piece about comics in general, and a good plug for five very good books. I've read far worse in the daily press f'sure

Colin YNWA

Quote from: sauchie on 23 November, 2012, 10:43:52 PM
That article didn't really seem like it was making the old point about comics not being just for kids anymore, it takes the fact that folk aren't embarrassed to be seen reading a Batman title as it's starting point. Instead, it was emphasising the diversity of material already available - and the point that comics don't necessarily involve spandex can't be made often enough...

The idea that comics are diverse are the types of points being made by journals to emphasize the fact that comics have grown up and aren't just spandex since I've need seeing them in '86.

Its time we moved on from these sort of things and talked about specifics. So if you want to write an article about how digital platforms are transforming the industry do that. Don't head it with the old done points. If you want to do an article about how the study of comics has entered academia do that without mentioning 1986's holy trinity of Maus, DKR and Watchmen (actually when did Maus come out?)

Cactus

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 24 November, 2012, 06:56:00 AMIf you want to do an article about how the study of comics has entered academia do that without mentioning 1986's holy trinity of Maus, DKR and Watchmen (actually when did Maus come out?)
*Checks bookshelf*

1986. "Chapters 1 to 6 appeared in a different form in Raw magazine between 1980 and 1985."
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Cactus on 24 November, 2012, 08:13:04 PM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 24 November, 2012, 06:56:00 AMIf you want to do an article about how the study of comics has entered academia do that without mentioning 1986's holy trinity of Maus, DKR and Watchmen (actually when did Maus come out?)
*Checks bookshelf*

1986. "Chapters 1 to 6 appeared in a different form in Raw magazine between 1980 and 1985."

Phew.

Cactus

Would it be so bad to have mis-remembered the publication date of a comic over a quarter of a century old? It's not like the spines don't match or something.
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!