Main Menu

Prog 2159 - The Thrill Of It All

Started by norton canes, 22 November, 2019, 11:34:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

norton canes

OK, I know it's not the done thing for one to start a prog review thread when one has nothing to actually review, but...

I met Rob Davis at The Lakes International Comic Art Festival in Kendal last month - he signed and illustrated a copy of his excellent graphic novel The Motherless Oven for me and mentioned that he'd recently completed a 2000 AD cover. Which character did it feature, I asked. 'Tharg The Mighty!' was his jubilant reply.

So here it is, and it's ruddy wonderful. Chapeau, Mr Davis.

CalHab

That's rather excellent. Might be cover of the year.

broodblik

Nice cover

I see: JD, Death, Rogue, Slaine, Stickleback, Mongrol, Nemesis, Johnny Alpha, Rogue, Zenith, Halo Jones and Ace Garp
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

TordelBack

Wow, I'd have fingered D'Israeli* for that cover. I have no higher compliment to give.

*settle down.

Bolt-01

Tell you what - that cover is even better in the flesh.

I've made no secret of my feelings for TMO over the years, so it is always a treat for me to get a Tharg cover. This is a complete classic. I'd love to see a lighter version but that is a personal thing.

Inside...

You know - when a prog is 'this' good, I don't want to single any part out. This prog was a complete score for me - Every strip is just doing exactly what I want right now.

Thanks to TMO and the droids. This is what comics 'can' be.

Fungus

Quote from: TordelBack on 22 November, 2019, 11:52:05 PM
Wow, I'd have fingered D'Israeli* for that cover. I have no higher compliment to give.

Took a moment to make an educated guess and went with d'Israeli too. My favourite cover in recent times, probably (topping 2116, 2140, 2147, the list goes on & on). This one's getting bought physically!

Tjm86

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 23 November, 2019, 11:02:37 AM

You know - when a prog is 'this' good, I don't want to single any part out. This prog was a complete score for me - Every strip is just doing exactly what I want right now.

Hmm, not sure I would agree completely.  Dredd is a little formulaic and predictable.  Defoe has slipped back into muddled territory.

Brink continues to be the highlight and in some respects puts Dredd in its place as a crime procedural.  Hope ups the ante quite nicely mind.

I'm assuming that next week is going to see the clearing of the decks in time for the end of year prog.  I would agree that the year is ending well all things considered.

Colin YNWA

Agree the cover is great, if the background is a little dark in print (norton canes electronic version seems to be spot on). It feels like this was meant for a launch Prog or similar but for whatever reason didn't make the cut. Mind who cares, whatever Prog its on its very welcome.

As for the rest of the Prog I'm kinda with Tjm86, yet the three winners as so good I kinda echo Bolt-01's delight. Dredd is solid, if not astonishing, enjoyable mind. Defoe while the art is still working better the story drives it into confused crazy corner.

The three others are just sublime in much the way they have been to this point. Deadworld just charges and doesn't stop for breathe. Unlike Defoe though it perfectly pulls you through with it. Hope twist the story towards its showdown confusion. Its as horrible as it intends to be, just brilliant.

However good these two are however its Brink that is the star of the show. Its just sublime. Once again what could be condemned as a talking heads episode just goes to show how character, dialogue, exquiste 'acting' and a sharp plot can all be thrilling and compelling even when delivered via two folks chating alone in a room. Jez this is a masterpiece.

So while Tharg thrills might be in the dark on the cover insode they are absolutely illuminated.

Bolt-01

I love this cover so much it is now cropped in and is the lock screen on my phone.

Tomwe

It's a masterful cover. The balance is just right. I just finished reading the final part Mr Davis' Motherless Oven trilogy myself. That one's called The Book Of Forks and it's bonkers. I've also recommend his Don Quixote adaptation, which is a brick of a book.

Proudhuff

First real wobble Prog for me in a while, unless there is a stunning explanation for the sword wielding caped crusader/butcher, Dredd seems a bit lacklustre.

Defoe has lost me completely and I have no idea or interest in what's going on.

Blink is treading water for me and D'eathworld is dead to me

Which leaves Hope to carry the prog and wonderfully full on it is.

DDT did a job on me

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Timothy

That's gorgeous in B&W. I had missed the Brass Sun nod on the completed cover.

Woolly

Wow!  :o
The colouring job really didn't do that one any favours, IMO...

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 22 November, 2019, 11:52:05 PM

I said pretty much exactly this to Rob on Twitter and, thankfully, he took the compliment as intended!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.