Main Menu

how to do a prog slog

Started by sheridan, 22 May, 2015, 09:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

2000AD Prog 309: Destruction of the Gambling Ship Miziz-ippi IV!

Zhcchz sees the dark side of Earth, reconstructed humanity sees the blues, the Lawmaster see the error of their ways, the Thrill-Suckers see their target and the Fort Neuropans see the light through the chem clouds.

Lobo Baggins

I think Hossanjo Valley and Griff Mountain are references to Bonanza - Hoss and Little Joe Cartwright were main characters, Griff King seems to have been a minor character for a while.

I tried to get in touch with Carl Sargent when I was working on the Judge Dredd D20 books, but apparently he'd 'disappeared' in the mid nineties. Turns out he'd just left the industry. Sadly, he died in 2017.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

sheridan

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 13 June, 2020, 05:14:06 PM
I think Hossanjo Valley and Griff Mountain are references to Bonanza - Hoss and Little Joe Cartwright were main characters, Griff King seems to have been a minor character for a while.

I tried to get in touch with Carl Sargent when I was working on the Judge Dredd D20 books, but apparently he'd 'disappeared' in the mid nineties. Turns out he'd just left the industry. Sadly, he died in 2017.

I watched Bonanza when I was a kid, but didn't remember the names of any of the characters - I only remembered it had Admiral Adama in it - thanks for the insights!.

Yes - I was reading up about Carl when I wrote today's blog post.  I saw he had a previous career in parapsychology before his gaming career.  I also found out I have a few of his fighting fantasy game books but that they were written under the name Keith Martin (and you'd be hard pressed to realise they were by anybody other than Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson* at casual glance).

Didn't realise you'd worked on the D20 line.  I wonder if I have anything you worked on?  I'm very patchy at the moment, but I'm trying to fill in the gaps before my prog slog blog gets to the 21st century :-)

* not that Steve Jackson, unless you were thinking about this Steve Jackson in the first place.

TordelBack

Quote from: sheridan on 13 June, 2020, 01:16:37 PM

And this one is my first (proper) prog!  Lured in by that incredible cover, and as noted elsewhere I had no idea there was a 'prologue' to Skizz for the better part of a year, despite it being my favourite story. So the idea of writing episodes as if every issue is someone's first certainly worked for me.

sheridan

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: sheridan on 13 June, 2020, 06:58:48 PM
Yes - I was reading up about Carl when I wrote today's blog post.  I saw he had a previous career in parapsychology before his gaming career.  I also found out I have a few of his fighting fantasy game books but that they were written under the name Keith Martin (and you'd be hard pressed to realise they were by anybody other than Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson* at casual glance).

Didn't realise you'd worked on the D20 line.  I wonder if I have anything you worked on?  I'm very patchy at the moment, but I'm trying to fill in the gaps before my prog slog blog gets to the 21st century :-)

* not that Steve Jackson, unless you were thinking about this Steve Jackson in the first place.

The Fighting Fantasy line had Steve Jackson and Steve Jackson working on it, unless you're thinking of Steve Jackson.

I had a couple of chapters in the Core rulebook and bits and pieces in most of the Dredd line, as well as a chapter in Gangs of Mega-City One (the chapter about the Doghouse in the Traveler Strontium Dog line was by me as well), so you've probably got something by me. However, Amazon likes to send me emails along the lines of 'hey, because you showed interest in the Rookie's Guide to the Undercity, we've got a used copy available for seven hundred times what you got paid to write it!' so I'm not sure if it'll be possible get that one (I think I might have stumbled onto some sort of money laundering operation or something!)
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

sheridan

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 14 June, 2020, 03:05:55 PM

The Fighting Fantasy line had Steve Jackson and Steve Jackson working on it, unless you're thinking of Steve Jackson.[/quote]

Yep - and Scorpion Swamp is one of my favourite gamebooks because you have multiple patrons you can take, multiple paths and you can return to the same locations.

QuoteI had a couple of chapters in the Core rulebook and bits and pieces in most of the Dredd line, as well as a chapter in Gangs of Mega-City One (the chapter about the Doghouse in the Traveler Strontium Dog line was by me as well), so you've probably got something by me. However, Amazon likes to send me emails along the lines of 'hey, because you showed interest in the Rookie's Guide to the Undercity, we've got a used copy available for seven hundred times what you got paid to write it!' so I'm not sure if it'll be possible get that one (I think I might have stumbled onto some sort of money laundering operation or something!)

I don't know how Amazon's automatic pricing system works, but it's pretty out there on some items.  Right now said Undercity guide is about twelve to eighteen times more on Amazon than they are on eBay (though the eBay price gets doubled by post and packaging from the states).

The credits in the Mongoose games leave a bit to be desired, you'd think the whole of the books were written by one person alone, without help on any chapters...

p.s. so yes, I have got at least a few things by you.

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 13 June, 2020, 09:16:32 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 13 June, 2020, 01:16:37 PM

And this one is my first (proper) prog!  Lured in by that incredible cover, and as noted elsewhere I had no idea there was a 'prologue' to Skizz for the better part of a year, despite it being my favourite story. So the idea of writing episodes as if every issue is someone's first certainly worked for me.

It was certainly a golden period for Massimo warparound wraparound covers, and Slaine hasn't even started yet!

2000AD Prog 311: Tidal Terror on Torquan!

Belardinelli does what he's best at!

sheridan

sheridan

sheridan

sheridan

2000AD Prog 314: "Meet my metal assassins, robo-hunter!" Teeny-Mek attack!

The story opened with the life support being switched off, but this is the one where Slade actually gets fatally shot.  Magnam gets sent off - wonder if he'll be back?  I don't remember any further appearances, but time will tell.

sheridan

Posted 314 for the second time yesterday - should have been 315.  I'll blame it on Dr Dibworthy.  Here it is, along with 316:

2000AD Prog 315: "Look, mummy... the judge is going to miss his bus!"

2000AD Prog 316: The Stupid Gun!

sheridan

2000AD Sci-Fi Special 1983: Featuring Judge Dredd plus! Rogue Trooper future war hero! Return of the Jedi colour preview Tharg the Mighty as you've never seen him before!

I'm not sure what that thing about Tharg is - we've seen photos before, we've seen colour pictures - possibly it's the first colour photo of the jumpsuited mask-wearing editor?

sheridan

Busy day - three posts!

Games Workshop Index

Anything missing?  Reply here, email me or comment on that post!

Mega City Book Club 124: Nemesis the Warlock (Book II)

I speak to Eamonn, or Eamonn speaks to me - about Nemesis the Warlock (Hachette) Book II.