Main Menu

Thrillpower Overload: the missing chapters

Started by Frank, 21 November, 2016, 01:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Quote from: tonyf33 on 21 August, 2018, 09:04:28 AM
Thrill Power Overload (very slightly) quoted the AKA Tapes featuring 2000AD, a zine produced in 1983 which exposed a number of 2000AD secrets while they were fresh in the mind.  On ebay it was going for £40+ but it's been reprinted and can be purchased in print or pdf here.  It's a gossip fest!  https://comicscene.tictail.com/

sounds fascinating thanks - ordered!

Tjm86

While we're on the subject then, did anyone actually see any of the interview videos that were advertised in tooth around about the prog 600 mark?  I think there were 3 or 4 of them, including an interview with Alan Moore of all people.

Frank

Quote from: Tjm86 on 21 August, 2018, 04:38:11 PM
While we're on the subject then, did anyone actually see any of the interview videos that were advertised in tooth around about the prog 600 mark?  I think there were 3 or 4 of them, including an interview with Alan Moore

Not sure where the interview with Northampton Roy Wood went*, but I think one of the videos advertised was 10 Years Of 2000ad, which was posted to Youtube by The Greatest 2000ad Fan In The World:

https://youtu.be/YvOZ1LzSAig

* The video above includes sections of what looks like An Audience With Alan Moore, where he describes DR & Quinch as a short story with no socially redeeming features that got out of hand

Tjm86

I've found an add in Prog 674.  CA Productions in Leamington.  4 videos:  2000ad, Will Eisner, Dave Gibbons / Alan Moore and Alan Moore at the ICA.

Thanks for the 10 year vid link though.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Tjm86 on 21 August, 2018, 04:38:11 PM
While we're on the subject then, did anyone actually see any of the interview videos that were advertised in tooth around about the prog 600 mark?  I think there were 3 or 4 of them, including an interview with Alan Moore of all people.

I bought Videos 1, 3 & 4 but not 2 – the Will Eisner interview.

JOE SOAP

JOE SOAP

maryanddavid

I have one, send the over to me Joe, Ill sort them for you :lol:

Tjm86

Them's the bunny's!  wow.  What were they actually like?

I'd agree that porting and uploading would be well worth it.  Even from a purely historical point of view.

Frank

Otto Sump's Smart Sweets, by TB Grover & Ron Smith, prog 436, 21st Sept 1985

IAMTHESYSTEM

Quote from: Frank on 22 August, 2018, 08:48:41 PM

Otto Sump's Smart Sweets, by TB Grover & Ron Smith, prog 436, 21st Sept 1985

I often wondered if the Comic did influence the 1995 effort and this compare and contrast panel walkthrough confirms it. A great example, so if you have any more, please share though don't go out of your way to do it. Watching the Stallone Dredd all the way through can be a little exasperating sometimes!
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Frank

NO SURRENDER was an interesting thing to put on the cover of a British newsstand title in the Summer of 1981.

Bobby Sands had died a few weeks earlier. Steve MacManus probably wasn't immersed in sectarian politics, but you would have thought one of the bluff old army types he and Pat Mills say scoured every issue excising all mention of body parts or functions in case they brought down the monarchy would have spotted the possibility for controversy. MacManus and his Sub were only taking their lead from words typed by Alan Grant (& John Wagner), who would definitely have been familiar with the phrase's contemporary use (although, no doubt, disapproving of the sentiments behind it).

Frank

Six years later, y'all finally have the definitive answer to the question WHAT WAS ANDERSON SENSING WHEN SHE READ DREDD'S MIND? In the preceding sentence, the term definitive is used as a synonym for both disappointing and wrong: