Main Menu

First ever view of NEW Dr.Who!

Started by therev, 03 December, 2004, 12:25:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VampiraJen

upon closer inspection, it is indeed london (sigh).  i mistook france for england and thought wales was cut of from england like irland, with water (coz it is, after all, a foreign contry.  i am dumb like that.  how stupid.  99% of all alien invasions take place in london.  fact.

VampiraJen

DavidXBrunt

The alien invasions of London? Clever stroke of strategy on behalf of the aliens. If you want to take a planet you need a bridgehead. A major world power. One that's seperate from other world powers would be good so that any help from outside the nation is delayed. Preferably an island so that once you've taken it you can defend it. And you start with the capitol so you crush the heads of state and any leaders of resistance.

It's all thought out in advance people...

Adrian Bamforth

Simon Callow was on something tyhe other day, either Des & Mel or Richard & Judy.

He's just been filming for Doctor Who playing Charles Dickens, who teams up with The Doctor to fight an alien invasion.

Sounds fun, if a little like a Don't-Go-There Future Shock.

ADE

Conexus

longmanshort

I'm very happy with that trailer - hopefully this nw series will recapture some of the fun that was so lacking in that TV movie.

I must confess to having a great deal of fear about resurrecting Who, but by the sounds of it it's being done by people who love Who, who understand what makes Who enjoyable, and who want to make it a success.

And for once, the BBC is actually behind it, rather than trying to undermine it because they think it's an embarrassment ...

And looking at that image of Billie coming out of the TARDIS that I posted on the other thread ... am I the only person who's surprised that it looks so ... right?
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

DavidXBrunt

Just to add that not only do there's a core of people behind it love Who, and have proven Who track records, there are also people who don't have any former connections to balance them out and to keep an even head.

Even more importantly the Who people behind Who all have proven successes in television and writing generally under their belts.

The perfect team. Though here's hoping Paul Magrs gets an episode next year, then it'll be even perfecter.

Tu-plang

Russel T. Davies, Paul Cornell (CHS M! CNTS!), Rob Shearman, Steven Moffatt, Mark Gatiss.

I am ridiculously excited about this, even if we probably won't see it here in Oz for about a year.

paulvonscott

The trailer is a bit brief, no guarantee the original theme music will be used in the show, this is just a trailer.  But it worked, so I hope they do.  Danger of it sounding a bit lo-fi by todays standards.

Logo doesn't look quite so farscape-ish when it's animated.

To be honest, I couldn't see much.  The Earth and moon shot looked OK, the subtitles ripped off from the Hitch-hikers TV show, we had one of those AWFUL full pans from space to ground (which ALWAYS look shite), wotsisname mumbling something about running away and then there was some murky blackness and a tardis.

Still looking forward to it immensely but this trailer was rubbish!  I cringed a couple of times. Maybe if I can see and hear it properly on the TV screen it'll come across better.  I really wish I hadn't watched it!

petemaskreplica

It seems unlikely (IMO) that they'd make a point of using the old theme in the trailer if they weren't going to use it in the series. At least, I bloody hope not.

The original is one of the few genuinely iconic TV themes, it made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck hearing it again, plus of course, that whole Radiophonic sound is a huge influence on a lot of contemporary music, and also I believe there's a spanking hi-fi version of it knocking about that was mixed from Delia Derbyshire's original tapes that were rediscovered recently, so they'd be daft not to use it.