Main Menu

Iain Banks on University Challange

Started by Quirkafleeg, 16 December, 2005, 12:22:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quirkafleeg

On a 'writers' team (vs 'actors')
8.30 pm on Sunday 1st January

Art

Old school luvees or dimwitted know-nothing TV actors?

Quirkafleeg

My BBC insider (ok someone on another board who subscribes to some fancy listing thing) sez the actor team is: Janet Suzman, Robert Powell, Martin Jarvis and Samuel West. The other writers on Bank's team are Jimmy McGovern, Andrew Davies and Tony Marchant

longmanshort

Janet Suzman

Pffp, all they need to do is ask questions about the plays and theories of Brecht - the woman hasn't got a clue on that subject ...

It's a long story ...
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

Quirkafleeg

He's also on Celebrity Mastermind on Jan 2 at 19.00  answering questions on 'Malt Whisky and the Distilleries of Scotland'

Quirkafleeg

Writer's won (despite the actors having an early lead) so Banks is on twice tonight!

Richmond Clements

The boy done well last night, even managing to get a minor dig in at the royal family.

Matt Timson

Pffft...

Bico

Does he still do that thing with the 'M' in his name for his science fiction/non-science fiction books?

Slippery PD

Hes wearing a Morton top.  Well done! :)

Slips

Funt Solo

::"Does he still do that thing with the 'M' in his name for his science fiction/non-science fiction books?"

Aye, he still does that.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Quirkafleeg

Bico

I don't have a clue what to make of that thing with the M in his name.  It's probably smart to disassociate yourself from what's percieved to be more of a ghetto than an actual genre of writing (if the literary awards are any indication), but is it sort of shying away from making a stand and saying "this is literature too"?
I'm not bothered either way, to be honest - I'm just confused why I'm not bothered.  I'm usually quite reactionary on such subjects.

Art

"It was a mistake, It seemed like a good idea at the time ... I put in the manuscript of The Wasp Factory as Iain M. Banks, and my publishers then, Macmillan, thought the M. was a little fussy, and would I mind losing it. It didn't bother me in the least, so I did. But then I got grief from my family - 'Are you ashamed of being a Menzies, then?' When the first science-fiction novel was coming out I had thought of using a pseudonym and then decided against, but I had what I thought was a good idea and said, 'let's put the M. back.' There's a sort of historical precedent: Brian W. Aldiss puts the W. in when he's writing non-SF. But I regret doing it, intensely now, because I'm always answering questions about it, and also because it passes on ammunition to the literary snobs who just assume that I make the distinction because I'm writing down when I'm writing science fiction."

Funt Solo

You may already know this, but in an interview years ago, it surprised me to learn that Banks actually wrote his sci-fi first, only writing non sci-fi books because the publishers wouldn't cut him a deal on his sci-fi.

Thus, his first few non sci-fi books are all pretty far out, with strong elements of fantasy:  The Wasp Factory and The Bridge spring to mind.

Once those were successful, the publishers were only too happy to publish Consider Phlebas.

After his sci-fi was accepted for publication, you'll note that his non sci-fi work settles down somewhat with work such as Espedair Street and The Crow Road.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++