Main Menu

One Year Later: Turn On or Turn Off?

Started by Dan Kelly, 05 April, 2006, 12:03:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Kelly

I've been mulling this over for a while, where do you stand on the whole Infinite Crisis/One Year Later/52 thing going on over at DC?  How about Marvel's Civil War?

Personally they're turning me off the big boys.

Initially I was quite happy staying in my own corner.  The Infinite Crisis buildup saw Adam Strange and Hal Jordan brought back and gave me some interesting comics to read.  However I only bought the Rann Thanager War and GL mini's.  

Then I moved onto the new GL ongoing.

Infinite Crisis itself passed me by, but I thought perhaps I'd pick up the trade.  However now we hit One Year Later and Green Lantern is feeling wrong.  I really cannot be arsed to get involved in the whole "what happened" stuff when not having read the oter strands of the build up.

I'm seriously thinking about dropping a book mid-run.  The only other book I've done this on is Amazing Spiderman.  The reason there - the dire rethink before the Civil War.

Anyone else feeling the same?

Buddy

Haen't read those books, but I did read the new Spiderman book (the one that introduces the 'new' costume).

It's bloody awful and anyone associated with it should be ashamed of themselves.

ARRISARRIS

...havent got a clue what this is all about but it still sounds pants, and very confusing...

Art

I've happily avoided all of this so far, along with House of M and any other cross-continuity bollocks that isn't Seven Soldiers.

All Star Superman remains ace, BTW.

Art

Is it me or does the next big Marvel event - bringing back the heroes reborn characters and a forgotten 90s bad guy called onslaught - sound like the worst thing ever?

ARRISARRIS

shane05

Didn't onslaught turn out to be Prof X? How're they going to pull that off?

I agree with Arrisarris, about it being too confusing and complicated to possibly be enjoyable.

Dudley

I just looked this up on Wikipedia.  To anyone still reading, all I can do is quote Trout:

"Ha. Ha hah. Ha ha ha hah. Hah.  You idiots."

scutfink

I've not read any of the One year later titles as yet, I'm about a month and a half behind on my reading, but I don't hold out much hope.  

Generally I don't like big jumps in continuity, it should be continuous, hence the name, but I'm a big time DC fan, so hopefully the DCU will recover.

Luckily I'm financially stable enough to cope with 52 just now, but that could change at any time, and then there's the Spirit due out any day...

Dan Kelly

I'm trying to work out what the game plan is on both of these (Marvel/DC).

They've reached the point where they are only workable if you buy into the whole shebang - which means buying almost the whole DC/Marvel catalogue.

Whilst I find it laudable that they are getting back to the idea that something happening in The Flash can have an effect in Superman, Batman et al.  It's a bit much on this scale.

In my case it's having the reverse effect to what they want - I'm buying fewer comics, not more.

scutfink

It seems to be a semi regular thing over at DC to tighten up the continuity, usually after one of their Universe redefining cross over events.

But, usually you can muddle through with only a handful of books. You don't need to know what GL said to Firestorm while they were fighting Captain Boomerang last month to enjoy the latest Nightwing, for example. In much the same way as you don't need to know why the President of Thialand resigned to keep track of who's shooting who in Iraq in the 'actual' universe (what I like to call the 'Real' world).
You only need to buy all the books if you want to know the whole story.

The continuity over at Marvel on the other hand can get incestuously close, I remember reading an issue of one of the X titles a few years back in which the central character, and featured star was Spiderman, there wasn't a single Mutant in the whole book,WTF?

Tex Hex

You either decide you're in, and budget for the millions of pounds of continuity-essential-but-pretty-pish titles, or abandon ship and miss out on your favorite characters for, what, a year?

Im reading IC and some others but the whole 52/one year on thing is a bit much to swallow.

(I thought it was supposed to have been a LOST year, a gap that 52 fills in, so why in GL #10 is Hal recalling some drab post-crisis anti-commie bashing. Dosnt that rather defeat the purpose?)

With the new Supes movie coming I thought DC might loosen up the whole interwoven tie-in nature of most of their titles. Alas.

I'll stick with Justice though...

Oh, and while were Event-Bashing, House of M was shite.

-hex  

scutfink

Another thing that annoys me with the Bat titles in particular, since Hush, there've been a few major storylinesbounced around the timeline, so we had a year of Hush, then a year of War Games then, in 'Tec a year of City of Crime, which takes place before War Games now the DCU has taken a year out to bum round europe...

What year is it exactly in Gotham City?

Trout

Floyd-the-k

I don't read any of this stuff except one Batman comic. This thread certainly doesn't make me feel like starting. There's a kind of inflation in the world of Marvel....when I gave up reading their stuff in the late 70s it was already getting hard to keep track of it