Main Menu

Zarjaz!

Started by Bolt-01, 17 May, 2006, 08:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolt-01

Before you start reading this please note:

This is all my opinion and seeing as I?m a pencil monkey should be taken with a pinch of salt?

I?ve not been the quietest when it comes to Zarjaz. I was openly critical of the first issue and so I was wondering what was issue 2 going to be like?

Excellent is the word to use. Sod-it!

Colin has really got it right here, The cover is not really to my taste, but it works really well, and once I realised it was a piece from the Zarjaz exhibition it went up in my estimation. Nice to see a piece  from there used again.

The opening article on the Zarjaz exhibition is well written and informative, with some nice images that I?d love to see larger, full colour versions of.

The Rogue Trooper strip is a cracker. Paul Glasswell has written a nice little tale that covered some territory that Rogues regular strip didn?t deal with over much. The art by Nick Dyer is also spot on. He was at the table when I bought my copy, so we were able to talk about him trying to get the feel of the series. He succeeded in style.

Judge Dredd by Alex Smith wasn?t what I was expecting. The art has a big ol? dollop of Frank Miller, but the story seemed to have that familiar feeling of needing to know what was going on in the writers mind. That being said, It was interesting enough that I did want to know what happened in more detail.

The Future Shock: Mojo by Eric Jackson and John Aggs was a bit of a let down, with the main plot  possibly needing tightening up, but the visuals were solid.

Durham Red by Nathan Adler and David Gray was a total surprise. Colin previewed a pic that had Logan wondering if Red had found some way of smuggling bowling balls and Grays artistic quirks aside, this was immaculately drawn. It might have benefited from having the edges of the art cropped tighter to the panels, as there was a lot of black edges which, to me, screamed FULL BLEED PLEASE!

Samuel Slade: Automaton Hunter is an ?Elseworlds? style tale of a steam-punk remix. It was reasonably well done, but not to my taste.

Finally: News. Next issue (presumably October time, will see the return of a strip from the recent winter special- Bones of Eden. An interesting move, especially as it is a complete return for the writer (Al Ewing) and artist (Russell Hossein).

All in all it was ?2.50 well spent, and my minor niggle is that a full bleed cover would not go amiss.

Bolt-01
http://photos1.blogger.com/hello/184/2712/320/rogue-cover-2.jpg">

Bolt-01

Damn, forgot to put a title...

Bolt-01

DavidXBrunt

Well that's me gone from being mildly interested in it to wanting to buy it a.s.a.p.

johnnystress

Go Rogue Go!

I'll pick this up when I see ithttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/johnnystress/rogue.gif">

Dark Jimbo

Please buy it, I'm in it. :)
@jamesfeistdraws

Bolt-01

?!?

Writer/Artist? Who?

+rufus+

Yeah, it's nice... he did a nice little write-up on he Zarjaz exhibition....just wished he'd asked if he could use my KANO painting....
Rufus

Bolt-01

He NEVER asked?!?

How rude!

Jimbo- You did the Sam SLade story?

Bolt-01

Dunk!

The one small press comic i forgot to pick up, but after that review will place an order for forthwith.
"Trust we"

Dark Jimbo

Jimbo- You did the Sam SLade story?

I did indeed - although I haven't actually seen the finished version, so I'm dubious as to how well it might have worked. That script was a bitch, and frankly had far too much going on, both in action and dialoue, for an A5 comic. It was a nightmare to fit it all in, and apparently several artists had run screaming from it before I picked it up.

Did it work? Does it look okay at A5? Can you rub soothing oil into my nervous ego?
@jamesfeistdraws

longmanshort

Why does Rogue have a club foot?!
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

Dark Jimbo

**Um, I'd like to clarify I'm not fishing for compliments, I just need to know if it worked, rather than whether it was good**
@jamesfeistdraws

johnnystress

longmanshort

Are you able to do a Dredd one of those?
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

Rex Banner

Sam Slade.

I think it worked. The art suits the story well & I thought the story most amusing.