Main Menu

MangaQuake product recall.

Started by Bolt-01, 15 August, 2006, 04:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art

Ouch. That's a pretty painful discovery.

So did the "artist" send you the 700x1082 version? What kind of communication did you have with them?

dyl

I think the artist has been semi reasonable, but to expect you to recover already sold mags is taking it a little too far imho. I'd try and explain a little better that you are a non profit mag let him know your circulation figures too. You could also do a feature on him and his studio to help smooth the way. I've had stuff miscredited in the past and stuff I didn't do credited to me it's annoying but not the end of the world, especially in this case where there is no financial loss and the situation will be rectified in your next ish.

Dylan

Link: http://dylansdrawingboard.blogspot.com/" target="_blank">http://dylansdrawingboard.blogspot.com/

Emperor

Yeah I just posted over there on this too but I agree with PVS - they have been very reasonable. They probably have a pretty solid case and even if it was a bit of a grey area it'd be unwise to test in court due to the expense (I know from experience, and with a large publisher for backup, that the advice is almost always to work out a compromise solution). Its also a good idea to show willing as such titles rely on the goodwill of contributors and getting a bad reputation would be the kiss of death (its hard enough to find enough good artists as it is).

I have suggested a compromise might be for people to return just the covers - it addresses the artist's concerns without being a huge amount of hassle for everyone else (as the only person who has deliberately done something wrong is the guy passing his own work off as his own - he gets to sit in his Finnish lair pretty much scott free. One wonders if this story can somehow be turned into comic form but with more ninjas going wild in Finland).

Oh well - fingers crossed things work out for the best and, as has been said, buy other FQP products to help them over this bump in the road.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Bolt-01

Ah, cheers Grumpy! Sheesh.

I'm going to replace the covers on the comics not sold, and then use those to replace any copies that 'do' get returned. However, many folks out there may not want to be bothered with it and keep their copy. That is their business, I cannot force them.

Art: Looking back I should have had alarm bells ringing when the supposed artist told us that he'd had a pc problem that had caused him to lose the hi-res copy I wanted. The version printed was not to the quality I'd like, but it was enough to do the job.

Bolt-01

Byron Virgo

Commiserations - that sounds like a bit of a fucker, all told. Particularly as it's you lot who'll have to cover the financial cost, whilst this Flying Dutchman or whatever nationality he is, gets away scott free.

And that still doesn't answer the big question: WHY? Why did he pass off someone else's work as your own in a non-paying small press book? I mean...what's the fucking point?? What can he possibly have hoped to gain, other than a comp copy? The whole thing just seems utterly twisted and bizarre.

What a chimpy little cockrag!

Matt Timson

Actually, I'm with the grumpy fucker.  You accepted the work on good faith and responded to his complaint quickly and politely.  I'd have told him to piss off and pick his day in court if an earnest apology wasn't good enough.

I'd pull the comics from shops and print a genuine apology in the next issue- but that's about it.  Hopefully, everyone will ignore your recall and the guy will be satisfied that you've done your best.  If he isn't- let him do his worst.  Legally, you can't make anyone return their copies once you've sold them- and I really can't see what he's going to do all the way from California over a print run of less than 200 anyway.

I certainly wouldn't want to use him for anything else- he's got a right bad attitude on him*.  Has he even apologised for repeatedly insinuating that you stole from him on purpose?  He's got a right to be pissed off- that doesn't give him an automatic right to act like a cock-end.  "Here is MY reply" indeed.  Fuck off!

*no, the irony isn't lost on me
Pffft...

W. R. Logan

he basically calls everyone liars and after airing everything in public whilst the MQ boys are bending over backwards to sort it out continues to rant.

My favourite bit is:

+++
if all conditions meet, we will offer you 3 cover arts (exclusively) and  additional illustrations for your future publications. i will leave the contact line open for you to discuss further, and i can promise to get bigger attention to your endeavor, and bring more fans to your books. ( im offering this only because i do not want to traumatize your publication. i am trying to make the best out of this terrible situation)

i have not gone public with this problem. but if you insist on selling this book with copyright law violations, i will make sure to bring this issue to public, (my home page, and most of major digital art communities) not to mention seeking legal action.

im also forwarding this email to Cao-Hsin Lee, art director  mess studios at UK branch. she will also be able to assist you on making resolution to this matter.

Cao-Hsin Lee
[postal address removed for privacy]

please send 2 copies of the mangaquake 2 to her  postal address, as she may request in following email.

+++++

I'd tell him to stick his 3 covers up his arse

Matt Timson

Pffft...

Buddy

I'd like to submit my totally original, not traced or copied of no-one image for issue three.http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/ximoc/mq3.jpg">

Wils

Talk about blowing things way out of proportion!

I side with Matt and Logan on this. Everyone on MQ's bent over backwards to apologise and rectify the matter realistically, but the way he's going on, it almost seems that he's determined to try and end this in court and start a smear campaign.

Pulling unsold copies and printing an apology in the next issue should be more than enough after the obvious efforts by Dave and the others to get to the bottom of this.

I'd tell him to stick his 3 covers up his arse

Too true. Is he expecting to be paid for them as well?

The twat that passed the cover off as his own could do with publicly humiliating as well.

Bad Andy

All this recent joviality aside, I feel for you Bolt. As part of a small publishing company, and responsible for one of the titles, there's nothing that gives you that sinking feeling in the stomach when something goes tits up and you can't do anything about it.

As a small consequence I will be looking to buy some more FQ stuff in support. I don't think I'll bother with the MQ publications though as I don't think I like manga.

Quirkafleeg

I've seen the Guardian, for instance, print an apology when they get an attribution wrong on a photograph... I can't recall them asking me to send them the paper back.

And I would not want to work with someone who sent me a nastygram threatening legal action. I'd be checking out the legal situation from my own end.

paulvonscott

The guy has every right to be as annoyed and supsicious as he wants, just as any of us would be if we had felt we'd been ripped off.  I think most of us would take a bit more convincing that 'oh we didn't know about it, sorry' in the same situation.  As it is, once things have been explained in a bit more detail he's been more understanding than he needs to be.  

Why he's getting a slagging, when he is the wronged party and the guy responsible barely gets a mention is beyond me.

W. R. Logan

>Why he's getting a slagging, when he is the wronged party and the guy responsible barely gets a mention is beyond me

I thoink the guy who caused the trouble is a twat but in trying to sort out the problem he rants on a public forum. If he's the professional he reckons then thats not the way to conduct business.

paulvonscott

I just don't get it, dude.  I just don't get it.