Main Menu

Meg 279 - Chrimbo Meg

Started by Pete Wells, 06 December, 2008, 10:07:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

+rufus+

Tank Girl continued to earn her Meg stripes in a fun story with some cracking Rufus art. I especially liked the splash of the skateboarder who's so good that he doesn't even need a back set of wheels!

Just to put your mind at rest.. ;-) It was covered by the logo...

Buttonman

Ha ha - cheers Rufus - thought as much, but in the best Roy Walker tradition 'Say what you see'!

+rufus+

Quote from: "Buttonman"Ha ha - cheers Rufus - thought as much, but in the best Roy Walker tradition 'Say what you see'!

:-) Fair play! My apologies...Logo had to go somewhere!

Hoagy

Nice pic don't understand what all the commotion was for, but it served for a little show and tell.

To my amazement they are stocking meg in WHSmiths when I'm sure the last two months have not seen shelf life for it in that store. What's going on, can anyone say? I've just got mine today.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

TordelBack

Not a bad Meg at all.

Bloody Grinch Wagner, what a miserable ending! (great stuff, obviously).

Really starting to enjoy Tank Girl now.  About that art: either the double-page compositions or the faintly out of focus pixellated effect makes the Tank Girl pages somehow seem bigger than normal, almost like reading a broadsheet instead of a tabloid.  Odd sensation, but I like it.

Alec says an odd thing in his Watchmen preview notes, when he notes that the movie characters are  "ever-so-slightly superhuman", "no doubt aware that non-powered crime-fighters in silly costumes might work on the page but can't be taken seriously on screen". Isn't that the point, or at least one of them?  There are only two players in Watchmen, Jon as the real superhuman and Veidt the self-made genius/athlete, a sort of optimised human.  The other folk are just people in silly costumes who don't make any difference in the long run, and at the end Jon makes it clear that Adrian isn't actually any different.  It is a worry I had from the first moment I saw Nite Owl's flying drop kick, but this seems to confirm it. That said, I'm impressed and excited enough by the trailers to withhold any judgement.

wrly_bird

Hi TordelBack! Yeah, what I mean to say is that Snyder's kind of tweaked the world itself, plasticised it slightly so that it works more along the lines of animation than photo-realism (in the same way that 300 with all its slo-mo and hyper-real action was kinda like a live-action cartoon). However, those character's don't literally have superpowers within the story, he's just stylized them in keeping with the tone of the film. I hope that makes sense - he made it sound very convincing at the time...

mogzilla

good cover but surprised its taken so long for dredd to get him...strange man breaking into peoples houses AND sneaking into our childrens bedrooms AND WE LEAVE HIM A DRINK AND MINCE PIE OUT!!!!!!!!!  

hence its called the silly season!

Hoagy

I really like the art on Citidef I can identify where characters are and what they aspire to immediately. The "what?" bit caught me unawares at first but i didn't mind hovering over it a second as the artwork glowed off the page. And it's funny!

Elsewhere, on the Dredd story I thought Dave Taylor took me into a vile dystopia, cramped and full of frustrations the kind honed by Wagner's precision writing. The apococriptica had me reeling at the last. I liked how DT stuck in a mini story of Dredd's dented helmet, which he had replaced by the time of the arrest.

Insurrection looks very much Warhammer and I think this could be great in a fantasy roll play arena too. I myself would love an SJS death'shead squad of figurines addorning a K-Alpha planetary model landscape.Monkeys,mutants and robots too? Ace! Nevermind the rebelling mega-city marines. I think the premise is there for a stonking story with MacNiell on the art, who is a legend, as definitive as D'Isrealli IMO. Love the Y-fronts in the uplift dorms.

One complaint I have is there was a fading on the bottom of the sixth page of Tank Girl. Is that supposed to happen? Rufus Dayglo has revved up that pacing and consistantly, creating stunningly designed pages. Alan Martin is a very wacky writer isn't he?

Having the Greg Staples interrigation to lookforward too is another good thing as that man really is all out for the limits and taking no prisoners.

And the rest of the features are balancing up nicely as I'd hoped by the end of this year. Really good package and well measured editing.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
Previously Krombasher.

+rufus+

I'm sorry about the printing mistake.. that's out of my hands sadly... It's on all the copies I've seen which was a bummer, but worse things happen. LOL

Anyway.. my apologies. I hope it didn't detract too much..

Richmond Clements

It's not your fault- so you don't need to apologise you crazy man!

+rufus+

TordelBack

Hah, I thought it was intentional -  a sort of fading-out associated with Tankie's battered noggin getting subjected to too much madness.  Shows know ought about aht.

Hoagy

Well if Rufus hadn't so kindly cleared up the matter, Tordle, then I would have thought the same thing.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
Previously Krombasher.

flesario

Interesting comment about sales rising since the move to bagged megs. I'd love to know what the figures actually are.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: "flesario"Interesting comment about sales rising since the move to bagged megs.
Not a big surprise to me. It appears people are way more likely to buy bagged magazines with 'free' gifts, as pretty much proved by the games mag industry.