Main Menu

MEG 282 - WORLD AT WAR!

Started by Dandontdare, 28 February, 2009, 12:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Only read Dredd and Citi-def so far, but I had to bag the thread to highlight a most remarkable bit of Dredd dialogue; "Don't feed me the mouldy munce Citizen!". Is Dredd turning into Frank Butcher? ("wot am I, some kind of pilchard, creep?") A nice 'fascist overkill' type story from Wagner, and great to see Cliff Robinson on art duties.

I think Citi-def is a load of fun if you don't take it too seriously. Not generally a fan of manga-style art, but I quite like Jackademus' (???) work, apart from the over-bulbous judge helmet.

Quick word about Insurrection - when did this trend appear for putting the titles on the last page of a comic rather than at the beginning? It annoys me probably more than it should. Stop it!

worldshown

Quote from: "dandontdare"Quick word about Insurrection - when did this trend appear for putting the titles on the last page of a comic rather than at the beginning? It annoys me probably more than it should. Stop it!

IIRC, Tempest also had the titles at the end of the strip.

W. R. Logan

Dredd, nice little story but a bit light.

Citi-Def, possibly one of the worst Dredd World stories ever and thats saying something.

Insurrection, nice art and will hopefully read better in one chunk.

Articles and interviews, month by month I read these less and less. If I wasn't such a sad fanboy I'd have dropped the Meg at the start of the year.

Jim_Campbell

In contrast to Logan's now-obligatory "I'm not enjoying this very much" post, I'd like to say that I'm thoroughly enjoying the Meg thus far in 2009, with Insurrection in particular being a surprise highlight. This month brought the added pleasure of a Chopper reprint that I had largely forgotten despite it being excellent.

Good stuff ... my only quibble is that maybe some of the Dredd-world stuff that's currently in 2000AD would be better placed here, whilst some of the stuff that's been in the Meg (I'm thinking Fiends of the Eastern Front particularly) would have been more suited to 2000AD ...?

That is -- however -- a very minor niggle. For me, at least, the revival in the Meg this year has been startling in its suddenness, but most welcome.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Robin Low

Quote from: "Jim_Campbell"Good stuff ... my only quibble is that maybe some of the Dredd-world stuff that's currently in 2000AD would be better placed here, whilst some of the stuff that's been in the Meg (I'm thinking Fiends of the Eastern Front particularly) would have been more suited to 2000AD ...?

I'm generally with Logan in that I could do without the Meg and am just getting it for the Dredd. There are some good things that pop up from time to time, such as Insurrection, but they are few and far between.

I've probably said this before, but I think one of the Meg's problems is the Judge Dredd part of the title. It encourages, if not enforces, Dredd World Stories, and the vast majority of these are not that interesting. Oddly, enough, the best of them don't actually need to be part of Dredd World. Devlin Waugh would probably work a lot better without the Dredd World baggage, and Insurrection would also work fine outside Dredd World (and it was probably imagined, if not originally written, as a Warhammer 40K strip, anyway). What's more, it would avoid the issues of continuity and tone.

Your point about placing series appropriately is a good one, but I wonder if what's needed is a change of focus, with the Meg becoming a comic for 2000AD stories rather than Judge Dredd Stories.

Regards

Robin

TordelBack

Hey, as of this week we have 6 ongoing Dreddworld stories across the two titles - 2 Dredd strips, Cit-Def, Marauder, Insurrection, and Low-Life - not even counting the Chopper reprint.  Is that a record?

The Monarch

My only complaint is I wish the chopper story was a proper gn in its own right

radiator

Does the Chopper reprint mag contain Dead Man's Curve and Soul On Fire, or is it just Song of the Surfer?

QuoteMy only complaint is I wish the chopper story was a proper gn in its own right

Agree completely - I'd buy that GN in a second - especially so if it was bundled with the stories mentioned above.

I just noticed there was a new Chopper (by Wagner and Patrick Goddard) story published during the late 1300s (during my time away from 2000ad) was it any good?

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: "radiator"I just noticed there was a new Chopper (by Wagner and Patrick Goddard) story published during the late 1300s (during my time away from 2000ad) was it any good?

Not bad, if a little needless (it didn't really tell us anything new). Not much of note happened, but hey, it's Wagner, Chopper and Mega-City One, so it's worth reading.
@jamesfeistdraws

radiator

Hm. Can't believe I'd never heard of it, and that I've only just discovered [spoiler]Jug McKenzie is dead[/spoiler]. Would like to read this - I've really enjoyed the recent collaborations between Wagner and Goddard. I actually wouldn't mind seeing all the Chopper solo material collected together - perhaps excluding the rather weak Supersurf 13 strip by John Higgins and Alan McKenzie(?) from the mid-nineties.

TordelBack

What are you people talking about?  Chopper died at the end of Song of the Surfer, inches from the finish line - it was very sad, but there you go.  All this other twaddle is make-believe nonsense.

Roger Godpleton

The Big Meg was actually good though, and more importantly, it featured boobs.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Proudhuff

I , for one am enjoying it... except the film review of course!

Dredd story: three driods to create the artwork? must be the levels of thrillpower, a bit like Monty Python's 'deadly joke'  This story is one for those of us who work in Libraries, me thinks.

Skimmed the Frank Q interview, it seemed more of a potted history that anything else.

Citi Def: Apart from the threatened rape (why is it never the males who get threatened in this way?) and the odd racist stereotype, I'm surprisingly enjoying this, I'm not a fan of manga, but it has been turned down enough here to make this readable,  in fact the story telling is better that a lot we've see recently from better 'admired' artists.
Ponder this, Why would a young Judge take the long walk?

Tank girl: Enjoyed this up to now, but feel it should natu'rally' have ended at the finish/half way line.

Deadwood article, great series, but I don't feel this will turn anyone on to it, sorry but it doesn't capture the essence of the series

Marshall Law: Really enjoyed this Pat Mills creation at the time, so a nice wee wander doon memoryloss lane for me, Should the M'Law strip be in the Megazine, I think so!

Warhammer insurrection, the only niggle with this is the whole MC1 resources thang once you ignore that and think of it as a Space Marines Adventure its the bee bollocks!

hey Buttonman, There's a letters page, anyboarders there?
DDT did a job on me

satchmo

Quote from: "TordelBack"What are you people talking about?  Chopper died at the end of Song of the Surfer, inches from the finish line - it was very sad, but there you go.  All this other twaddle is make-believe nonsense.

I'd kind of agree with that, BUT if you have Chopper stories set after SotS (which we have, mostly rubbish), it was fantastic seeing John Wagner giving him a quality sendoff.
It's a decent read and I like it a lot for giving one of my favourite fictional characters a [spoiler]happy ending[/spoiler].

Proudhuff

I, for one, will not sit on the bus reading a copy of CHOPPER! especially when that knee pad on the cover looks like its a codpiece
DDT did a job on me