Main Menu

I remember when 2000AD was the future ;)

Started by Offbeatmammal, 03 May, 2009, 04:41:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Offbeatmammal

now here we are in 2009 and my daughter is about the age when I first discovered the joy of Thrill Power.

I was a collector from issue #1 - it was the highlight of my weekend... getting my pocket money, hopping on my bike and heading down to the newsagent and getting 2000AD and a Double Decker... I continued to collect until I started travelling (lost the first 500 or so issues to an accident and probably the next 500 are sitting in a trunk at my Mums house!) but now somewhat older (but no wiser) thanks to the miracle of the internet rediscovering the old memories (though don't try and get a 2000AD in a Northwest US comic shop - apparently they are rarer than pure dilithium crystals and anyone asking for a copy must be some sort of 7th level mage ... I felt quite awkward, probably won't go back there again!)

Looking at a digital subscription with ClickWheel - though I don't use an iPhone and the Comical reader has some shortfalls for me (not least my aging eyesight!) and I'd love to be able to access the whole back catalog digitally (trying to re-capture lost youth!)

Favorite stories (probably a good way to carbon date me!)
- Judge Dredd (of course)
- Dan Dare (both versions)
- Harlem Heroes (and Hellcats)
- ACE Trucking
- MACH1
- Mean Arena
- Invasion
- Flesh

Bouwel

Hi there and welcome :)

I think you'll find a lot here share your personal journey, myself included.

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

Dandontdare

hi there! A fan of vintage thrills eh? If you don't already have a copy of the "Best of 2000ad" hardback that came out last year, you should pick it up as it's full of stuff from your list.

Kerrin

Welcome Mr.Mammal. What about an international subscription?

IndigoPrime

@Offbeatmammal—you might also want to check out the range of 2000 AD books, many of which are chunky volumes collecting early B&W stories.

vzzbux

Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

The Enigmatic Dr X

2000ad is the future.

It just remains for the world to re-discover that fact.
Lock up your spoons!