Main Menu

Hi y'all from Brisbane Australia

Started by Rattatattat, 30 May, 2009, 12:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rattatattat

Hi gang... my name is Martin, I have been a fan of Judge Dredd since the first time I encountered him in "underground" comics, that were distributed thru the showground circuit here in Australia, I guess in the late 1960's or the early seventies!!

He was a bit strong for my taste at first, then as I got older I was increasingly drawn back to him, he has never been a cruel man as far as I ever knew, and I liked the way he sent his brother down.. or up actually to the mines in the asteroid belt, that's the kinda devotion to the law that I admire.

He comes over to me as a guy who has what it takes, he never shies away from danger and his no compromise attitude toward crooks, shows the human genome at it's highest level of development, I wondered if his battles with arch villianess Mercy Shakespeare would ever lead to romance, indeed I often hoped it would.

Not so much as to soften the Judges outlook, but so that he would have at least some respite from the awful dramas that he encounters by repairing to her tenderness at the end of every day...

I believe that the artwork in the 2000 AD comics is at least on a par with Michaelangelo's best work, or even that it surpasses it.

I intend to read whatever I can on this forum, then I too have to head back to my own workplace where I do what I do.. where I anticipate being strengthened by such exposure to the Judge, and where I use his simple philosophies to similarly strengthen my own self in such dramas as I, and most everyone else as far as I know, encounter!!

Floyd-the-k

Hi there from Melbourne Australia, Martin.  Good to see you here.
  Any questions you have about Dredd will be answered here, exhaustively.  I'm fascinated by the idea of Dredd helping you with personal dramas.  Which ones?

cheers

Floyd

Paul faplad Finch

Welcome Martin. Never mind that pesky work stuff, get stuck in here. Far more productive.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Bouwel

-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

Dandontdare

G'day and welcome! I'm always interested how people regard the international characters in Dredd's world - have you read Oz?

Pete Wells

flip-r mk2

It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

Gavin_Leahy_Block

vzzbux

Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Kerrin

Devons Daddy

THRILL POWER IS SPREADING

welcome to the WORLD WIDE WEBS
finest message board.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

ThryllSeekyr

QuoteHi gang... my name is Martin, I have been a fan of Judge Dredd since the first time I encountered him in "underground" comics, that were distributed thru the showground circuit here in Australia, I guess in the late 1960's or the early seventies!!

Thats something I didn't know and it's so close to home.

I suppose I should let you know that I do live very close by near the suburb of Ipswich.

I was reluctant to speak up at first as I have become accustomed to the anomimity of being one the few Australians addicted Thrill-power. Been posting on this board or some time now, more out of habit and way of relating to those that are fond of the same things I like. Nobody has really challenged me to poke my head up and I sort of like it that way.

Boarders here take notice of me, but not enough to make me feel uncomfortable.

You may find kindred spirit or bitter rival in me. if you understand the code of "Highlander", I theres a similar fraternity that has formed amongst 2000AD fans across the world.

I been made official Mayor of the Board for nearly a month now and I'm about to finish my term of office in few days. Not really knowing if there were actual duties that came with this position. Apart from controlling the movements of imaginery money and writing unfeasibly long posts. I will be adding this to my job resume. It seems a impressive enough title to add to my Curriculum Vitae.

You should know that I'm the most warped Slaine fan of the board. Unofficially. Nobody seems to post more about this character than I. As I see Slaine as essential to the escapism that I crave from reality and have not felt bite of his axe of his since I first started collecting him. Though it does appear to be sweeping closer.

These days, I don't venture out much to look for this comic and the ever popular graphic novels. I don't venture out too much to do much at all actualley. I use the Web-Shop and Ebay as it's proven to be very fruitful. There is one Comic book store in Bell street Ipswich --In the arcade, right next to "The Caladonian" --.I was once was geting Progs off them on regular basis. I'm not sure if they still trade and have shut down. There is also the newsagancy closest to Murphy's Pub. Interesting, both the main pubs in Ipswich have Celtic themed names. Anyway, thats the other place here I had started collecting Progs again for short while. There were some secondhand bookstores. One of which was here I got my very first Prog. They are gone now.  Before I was told about the "Daily Planet" comic-bookstore in Brisbane. Thats when it was across the road from the Myer Centre multi-level shopping complex back in late eighties. It was in a small room at the back of a arcade. It's since been replaced another comic book store of no exact name known to me. That might have been known as the Phantom Comic book store that was a few doors across. Before they built that new "Borders book store" on the same street. Do you remember that piece of graffiti of a kangeroo done up as "The Phantom"? on brickwall out this other store. --GHOST WHO HOPS--Thats when the actual "Daily Planet " book store expanded in the early ninties and they were selling lots of Sci-fi stuff and were doing well with the Baseball cards. This other place moved temporily to the street on the other side of the Queen street Mall off the same block as the large Post-Office building. There was also "The Comic Book Dungeon" across road from the place on he same block as the mall. They were down a few flights of stairs. It was a real dungeon. I found quite afew progs in there, then purchased, that I still own. The first place where I found "Sky-Chariots", "Beast of the Broch". It was those years in the very early ninties that I found the "Slaine: Warriors Dawn" graphic novel and eventualley some well used volumes of "Slaine the Horned God" but not all at once in the Daily Planet when it still was operating in the back room of that arcade. Anyway, I warned you I am the Slaine fan.

Since I got back from Sydney few years ago now. Everything in the Brisbane CBD. Has been turned on it's side. For me it was  like a sick joke. With that new Borders Book store replacing "The Forum" cinema. They have since refused to sell any 2000AD gn's. Though, I figured otherwise since they advertise 2000AD magazine internationally. That other cinema right on mall, but close to Myer centre. Since it's been knocked down making a quarter of that block look like it's been hit by a bomb. I don't even remember what was on the steet corner. i miss the large video game arcade thats since been replaced by jewlery strore. The one that was next to " Hungry Jacks ". As the MacDonalds that we right next to the Her Majesty's Theatre is gone replaced by another jewelery store. Which would have led through to where the latest known location of the main "Daily Planet " store is now. Even the "Myer Centre" had switched over with the cinemas moving to the top floor to replace " Topz. " Since that and thremoval of the swinging Viking ship. It's seems to have changed the theme of the whole complex.

Regarding the main  "Daily Planet" still doing buinss on the other side of the "Winter Garden" They were selling back Progs there which kept me interested and I managed to get the latest " Slaine Time-Killer" graphic novel from them before I resigned from shopping there altogeher. I have come to think of the other comic book store that trades in their original spot as the same place yet forever changed. Then there's this place up several flights of stairs. It's mostly a gaming store, though they still sell a few comics. It's these few places that still anything reallly interesting to me in that genre. Yet I found their staff to be lot less friendly, since this side of year 2000.

They seem much colder to me, these days. Perhaps they prefer to cater for a younger crowd. They make me feel so uncomfortable everytime I go there these days.

I know that other comic book store thats across the road from the Myer Centre has either hidden or sold what was it's collection of vintage Judge Dredd GNs.  You might know the ones I mean. They were foolscap sized with laminated covers. I think the original seller might have reclaimed them. Who knows. But if you go to the back of store where they have those
 large dolls. You may find some bundles of the DC styled Judge Dredd, Psi Anderson, Rogue Trooper, Strontium Dog comics in the wooden boxes. Behind the twin isles of new stuff. I was buying some of those. You migh still find some of those if you look hard enough. Ten dollars a bundle.

Now thats out of the way, welcome to the board from me.

Since I noticed this thread on the board a few days ago , I have tried to ignore it,  as the idea of another 2000AD euthusist so close by unsettling. Yet this thread seems remain saring me in the face from the 2000AD Online Index.

As, I don't readily seek out others as much I like to "word - up" on this message board.

If you think you've seen me round, perhaps the secret handshake or salute might in order.

Though as I have already said I don''t get out much, lately.

James Stacey

ThryllSeekyr

QuoteSince I noticed this thread on the board a few days ago , I have tried to ignore it, as the idea of another 2000AD euthusist so close by unsettling. Yet this thread seems remain saring me in the face from the 2000AD Online Index.

That last sentence was meant be read as "Yet this thread seems to remain staring me in the face from the 2000AD Online Index."

Now it makes sence.

I'' ll just add to that " That should be more of us in Birsbane/ipswich area to justify a reasonable distribution of the magazine. More than it has been lately. "