Main Menu

The John Wagner Facebook Thread

Started by Pete Wells, 04 November, 2009, 08:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Wells

As many of us know, Mr Wagner now has a Facebook account and there's also a group thingy for him there too. He's been terrifically patient and generous with his time on these pages, entertainingly answering a fair few fan questions (though did f*cking Scojo try to ruin it?)

Up to now, John has used this page to announce the title of his next Stronty tale, his view on the Dark Judges and, as brought to our attention in the 'Dredd into the Sunset' thread (thanks Radiator,) his thoughts on Dredd's aging.

So, I was thinking, as many on this board are Anti-Facebook and/or these exciting nuggets can be easily missed by being in different threads, can we use this thread as a repository for further tantalising Wagner nuggets?

I know some folk are thinking that the board is getting a little bloated with non-2000AD stuff at the minute but I reckon this could and should be a wonderfully exciting thread!

jabish

I've been following the John Wagner Fan page avidly and its great and, Mr. Wagner has been brill and like you say patient. But I was so pissed off when Scojo and a couple of others decided to start posting their story ideas for him to look at. He very politely told them to feck off:

"Sorry, I don't have time to get involved in commenting on a flood of story ideas. My life wouldn't be my own."

That's far more polite than I wanted to be! The man's a saint. After that Scojo still posted some more stuff and I really thought he would scare John away from reading the page or answering questions. But that seems to have stopped now, thankfully.

It'll be a really cool enjoyable fan page if it and its subject are handled with respect :-)

be cool

jamie Beamish

eggonlegs

i love face book
it has got me in touch with people i havent seen for years
and it has been a good way to stay in contact with people at uni etc(and the lovely folk i have met on here) - with added links etc - texting is a pain in the arse i think
im going to try and add mr.wagner right now
a shame about *****

radiator

In summary:

re: Dredd

On whether he ever reads other writer's Dredd scripts:
QuoteI tend not to read other writers' stuff, but I have read some of Al's and they've been superb. Like Gordon Rennie, Al understands Dredd, yet he still manages to bring his own voice to it.

On Ratfink:
QuoteI'd be surprised if Ratfink didn't make another appearance, though can't say when.

On Tour of Duty:
QuoteI've just written episode 23 and there's a lot of mileage left in it. If you include stories like Backlash it will be the longest continuous Dredd narrative ever. Of course, Matt Smith may get sick of it and tell me to stop, but until then...

On the subject of Dredd's advancing age:
QuoteI've always assumed I'd be dead or too senile to care before I had to answer that question, but the time is getting closer when it will have to be dealt with. I've heard it suggested that the current storyline is building Rico up to being the new Dredd. I admit that is a possibility (I'd certainly enjoy writing those episodes!) but don't forget... Read more, whatever I may decide, Matt Smith and Rebellion have the final say.

How old is Batman? Does it strike anyone as odd that he, and indeed most superheroes, live through generations and never age? My characters - ones I care about, at least - always age. I wouldn't be happy writing them any other way. Attitudes change as we get older. Ageing is an intrinsic part of character development...and, having done rather too much of it myself, it's one I understand.

On the possible return of the Dark Judges:
QuoteIt's always a possibility, though try though I might I have difficulty seeing them as much more than music hall villains these days. I've come to know them too well, they lack the mystery element of their earlier appearances, which made them stronger characters. Perhaps in the hands of another writer they might blossom again (if blossom's the right word!). Someone else's vision, a new perspective.

On Strontium Dog:
The next series of Strontium Dog will be called The Life and Death of Johnny Alpha and will 'sort out some issues' with the character.

On whether he is tempted to create any new characters or series for 2000 AD:
QuoteI did. It was called The Balls Brothers (with Kev Walker). Nobody seemed to like it!

re: The New Dredd Movie

On the script:
QuoteI have seen the script, it's much better than Dredd 1.

On whether the film is likely to be made:
QuoteJudging by the people involved, there's a good chance.

On possible lead actors:
QuoteI'm not at liberty to name names....but the one I've heard suggested seems an excellent choice. He's got the looks and he's got the voice.

On whether he ever reads forums:
QuoteI do check out all sorts of fan comment, though I don't post because I wouldn't want to deter anyone from giving an honest opinion. Praise is great, but you tend to learn more from adverse criticism. Both have affected what I write. I have more than occasionally picked up useable ideas, or been reminded of characters that are worth another run out.

Oh, and he also reveals that Logan has a third breast under his left armpit. ;)

Think that just about covers everything.
Mr. Wagner has been brill and like you say patient

Agreed. Really glad he didn't get put off by the spammers and their rubbish story ideas. I'd always had the impression that John Wagner was a bit grumpy (I don't know where I heard that), but from what he's posted he seems like a lovely guy.

HOO-HAA

New Dredd movie?! Oh god...

If they did make it, I'd suggest good ol' Agent Smith as a contender for the lead  ;D

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: HOO-HAA on 04 November, 2009, 10:55:19 PM

If they did make it, I'd suggest good ol' Agent Smith as a contender for the lead  ;D

I believe John has already confirmed that Michael J Fox is the only actor who could play Dredd.

What?

What?

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

W. R. Logan

Quote from: jabish on 04 November, 2009, 09:52:20 PM
I've been following the John Wagner Fan page avidly and its great and, Mr. Wagner has been brill and like you say patient. But I was so pissed off when Scojo and a couple of others decided to start posting their story ideas for him to look at. He very politely told them to feck off:

Hey my son of Dredd Starborn Thing story idea was pure genius 8-?

Mike Gloady

I'm sure Mr Wagner was prepared for ScoJo and his ilk by bitter experience, if not by being actually warned by other creators in a simlar positon.  Some folks, when given to opportunity, will always take any chance to make a massive ass of themselves.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Bolt-01

Good thread- as a non- facebook user, I'm really pleased to see that the nuggets dropped will find a home on this thread.

Mike Gloady

I'll try to add my tuppenny ha'penny every now and then, I don't stalk the poor man, but as a regular FBer for years, it's nice to see him and a lot of other boarders on there.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Tiplodocus

I'd got a friends invitation/confirmation thing for this (and Carlos!) but wasn't sure if a) they were genuine or b) I wanted to mix my comic web up with my real life web.

I sort of use this forum for all comic and geeky stuff,  my family to keep track of family affairs and was planning on using facebook for my normal (not met through the web) chums.

Of course now I've met some of you I count you as normal chums so get confused as to how many different forums and mediums I should keep up to date with.

Oooh it's too hard for an old luddite like me sometimes.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

HOO-HAA

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 05 November, 2009, 07:12:17 AM
Some folks, when given to opportunity, will always take any chance to make a massive ass of themselves.

Ain't that the truth! ;D

Pete Wells

John has been back on Facebook answering a couple of questions. The first, from Richard Field asked how John keeps tabs on over 30 years of continuity. He said:

QuoteAs a juve I spent time memorising long sections of text, poems, number sequences etc, for no other reason, I suppose, than to see if I could do it. It left me with an unusually good memory. In the early days of scripting I could, for instance, remember most scripts practically word for word, right up into the hundreds. These days I still have... Read more fairly good recall of events and characters, and if unsure ask people like Matt Smith, Stewart Crofts, Dave Evans and others, who, if they don't know my stories better than I (and they often do), know where to look for the answers.

Cor, nice name check for a couple of boarderes there, hmmm, I thought Logan's name genuinely was Logan? Next, Richard  asked if John would bring Sniffer Martinez back to Strontium Dog.

QuoteSniffer Martinez is noted and filed for future reference!

The second asked if "a certain faulty computer named after the "elevator boy" from this Ogden Nash poem....? http://www.ogdennash.org/poems/a_tale_of_the_thirteenth_floor.htm"

John said:
QuoteIt's not a poem I know - doubt Alan Grant knew it either or he'd have mentioned it. Interesting coincidence, though.

This is Pete Wells, reporting from his sitting room, in his dressing gown. Back to the studio.

mogzilla

garageman have you got a facebook page? that'd confuse the crap out of scojo!   ;)

Pete Wells

A couple more questions answered by the wonderful Mr W on Facebook:

Richard Field asks:

1) I used really enjoy the features in the annuals where 'Tharg' asked his 'droids' their top ten favourite things. I remember scrutinising what your favourite books were and getting them out of... the libarary. I seem to recall enjoying Diary of a Nobody and The Card because of your suggestions. Which is a really long winded way of asking what are your current favourite books. If you have a favourites from various genres even better as I really enjoyed the comedy novels you recommended before.

JW:
QuoteOne of my favourites is Damon Runyon, whose style I brazenly stole for Al's Baby. I have two collections of his stories, On Broadway and From First to Last, which I prefer. I notice you can currently pick it up on Amazon for 13p (plus P&P). Try Cannery Row and Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck - indeed, just about anything by Steinbeck, ... Read moreespecially The Grapes of Wrath. For undemanding fun I read Michael Connelly. I'm also addicted to Patrick O'Brian's Jack Aubrey naval adventures. They're not perfect but they're better than Hornblower. Master and Commander is the first in the series. Luke Rheinhart's The Dice Man is also a good read.

What I tend to do now when I'm searching for something interesting is look up a book that I rate on Amazon, then check out the books on the punters' lists at the bottom and go for any that I like the look of (and that are cheap enough!). I've bought some rubbish that way, but also some excellent stuff, like Peter Godwin's When the Crocodile Eats the Sun (about social breakdown in Zimbabwe) and Sarah Dunant's In the Company of the Courtesan. Hope this is of some help.

Richard Field: This is the really geeky question. Do you consider the Dredd stories to be taking place in the same 'continuity' as Strontium Dog. To me it feels like they do on a superficial level because of the shared creators but the recent emphasis on Mutants in Dredd makes me feel like things are moving in that direction too.

JW:
QuoteContinuity: no, don't see Dredd and Stront as the same.

Then Jamie Beamish says:

I'm a big fan of Damon Runyon myself and can see the influence on Al's Baby. Great stuff.
Seeing as how Runyon's stories were used as the basis for the musical Guys and Dolls, imagine "Al's Baby - The Musical!".

It could work.......

JW:
QuoteYes, I'd love to see that.