Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Mister Pops on 02 April, 2017, 04:48:46 AMThe problem is, the biggest advocates for UI, Sinn Fein, have absolutely no plan for it.

And the elected government of the Republic, even less.

Prodigal2

I did a fair bit of work with various political figures over the past 15 years and even Jim Wells firebrand DUP politician admitted that high level Republic governmental figures had told him that they had no real interest in securing Irish political union (In terms of governmental priorities it ranked about 20th in the list apparently).

TordelBack

Well the mortal enemy of all other Irish political parties is SF, not because of ideology nor history, but because they are energetic and active at a local level in a way that  moribund Seat-warmers everywhere dread, so the idea of increasing their overall share of the vote at the same time as having to deal with the political savagery of hard-line Unionists and a minimum of 700K unwilling new citizens, plus 200K public sector positions to fund... Sure it'd cut into your drinking time at the Galway Races/Cheltenham something fierce.

Plus no-one down here really gives a feck, and until they give 'the diaspora' a vote no-one ever will.

CalHab

Michael Howard is speaking about war with Spain. This is going well. FFS.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: CalHab on 03 April, 2017, 05:27:26 PM

Theresa May has ruled it out already, but still; it hasn't exactly been a graceful and dignified process so far.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Steve Green

Not when you've got Kelvin Mackenzie using the term 'Donkey rogerers' in a column for the Sun.

Proudhuff

Quote from: CalHab on 03 April, 2017, 05:27:26 PM

And people wonder why the jocks want nothing to do this this...
DDT did a job on me

Prodigal2

Quote from: TordelBack on 03 April, 2017, 12:43:02 PM
Well the mortal enemy of all other Irish political parties is SF, not because of ideology nor history, but because they are energetic and active at a local level in a way that  moribund Seat-warmers everywhere dread, so the idea of increasing their overall share of the vote at the same time as having to deal with the political savagery of hard-line Unionists and a minimum of 700K unwilling new citizens, plus 200K public sector positions to fund... Sure it'd cut into your drinking time at the Galway Races/Cheltenham something fierce.

Plus no-one down here really gives a feck, and until they give 'the diaspora' a vote no-one ever will.

Precisely and yet we still get the virulent political merry go round of orange and green repeated over and over again.

Personally I am warming to the idea of some form of political union between a united Ireland and Scotland followed swiftly by an invasion of the English.

Professor Bear

It's not an invasion when you're saving them from their own leaders, it's a peacekeeping mission.

Goaty

So no-one got fucking clues on what to do with Brexit?

Hawkmumbler

The Legendary Shark

I for one welcome our new Celtic overlords.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

Quote from: Professor Bear on 04 April, 2017, 01:39:21 PM
It's not an invasion when you're saving them from their own leaders, it's a peacekeeping mission.

If you think I'm confronting lorry-driver turned resistance leader 'Zardoz' Burdis and his shootah at Hadrian's Wall...

Steve Green

He's filling in the gaps with Dredd tat.