Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Plenty from the Big Two this week;

Batman 29; I've caught up with my back issues, and generally have a taste of Meh in my mouth. The 'filler' previous issue (number 28) was the worst Batman comic I've read in more than 10 years. Turn this around Snyder- quickly.
Superior Spider-Man 29; Last few issues continue to be on fine form. A fun and engaging read. I'll miss it.
X-Force 2; I was impressed with Spurrier's debut issue. It's made the cut.
X-Men Legacy 300; One of those annoying renumbered issues Marvel randomly release. Still though, I was a big fan of Carey's lengthy run on this title, and its great to have him back. Plus, a bit more Spurrier too. The outrageous $4.99 price tag is the only sour note.
Royals Masters of War 2; I expect big things from this mini series. Big things.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Link Prime on 11 March, 2014, 02:12:04 PM
X-Men Legacy 300; One of those annoying renumbered issues Marvel randomly release. Still though, I was a big fan of Carey's lengthy run on this title, and its great to have him back. Plus, a bit more Spurrier too. The outrageous $4.99 price tag is the only sour note.

What does Si Spurrier have in this? Is it related to his Legion stuff, or is it more to do with his X-Force stuff?

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 11 March, 2014, 04:47:55 PM

What does Si Spurrier have in this? Is it related to his Legion stuff, or is it more to do with his X-Force stuff?

It'll be his Legion stuff.
As far as I've read, this one-off issue will feature stories by Carey, Gage & Spurrier, each revisiting characters / arcs from their respective runs (technically 'X-Men Legacy' began with issue 208).
I'd strongly expect flashback tales featuring Xavier & Rogue too.

Hawkmumbler

"You've destroyed this armour that I forged to house my unctonrollable power"

"........OK."

OPM continues to make me squee week in week out.  :lol:

The Adventurer

My Digital Pulls for 03/12/14

2000 AD 1872 - Feels a little filler heavy at the moment, with a short JUDGE DREDD, a FUTURE SHOCK one-shot, and a 3RILLER. But they are very very GOOD Future Shocks and 3RILLER.
ASTRO CITY 10 - Story arc concludes, the revealed bad guy from last issue feels a little... insignificant to the gravity that the story is suppose to have. I'm waiting for another twist.
EAST OF WEST 10 - Still solid.
EGOs 3 - My current most anticipated monthly title I think. Its got all the space age cynicism mixed with big ideas I crave.
INVINCIBLE 109 - I wasn't as blown down by the last issue as some people. Honestly I thought it was a bit predicable with the betrayal and stranding. Still good, but not... game changing.
ROYALS MASTER OF WAR 2 - First issue felt like a lot of set-up, without a big payoff. But things could be heating up in issue 2 as the titles core ideas start to come online.
SONIC UNIVERSE 61 - I seriously don't give a shit about Shadow the Hedgehog, and this story arc isn't change much on that score. But its entertaining enough I guess.
STAR WARS 15 - This book is still way better then it has any right to be. Comics need more space opera, Star Wars shouldn't be the only game in town.
THE STAR WARS 6 - A few months behind. Gotta get caught up.
THE WALKING DEAD 123 - Ditto.
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 15 - Didn't even notice ALL YOU NEED IS KILL was off this week, this line-up is so hype. And in ONE PIECE... Robin! NOoooooooo!

Ack... bit of a week.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Link Prime

Quote from: sheldipez on 26 February, 2014, 08:14:06 AM
I don't think I've touched any of Chaykin's other stuff (I jumped on this due to liking writer Matt Fraction) so can't make any comparisons, other than say I really dig his art, sometimes in large crowd scenes characters can get a bit muddled as everyone tends to wear suits (and often facial hair) and it's black and white so there's no light brown haired dude or guy that wears a blue suit to identify people. I think it'll read better in trade if that helps, the breaks don't feel natural.

The first trade was released last week, so I scuppered my digital plans, and picked it up for a tenner.
Really glad I did- a great read, something really different and not at all what I was expecting.

Despite liking some of Matt Fraction previous output, I've never loved it like so many others seem to, but this was something different; an intelligent, entertaining period murder mystery that doesn't hold your hand for a second.
Chaykins art hasn't skipped a beat after all these years either. Monochrome brilliance.
A new bi-annual trade read has been added to my reading list. With cement.

Mardroid

I picked up the following yestterday:

Hell Boy In Hell #I : Not bad although I found some of the art a bit difficult to follow. Also would have benefitted from reading the previous arc I think.

Fantastic 4 #2 : (That's 2 of the new run you understand.) Again, not bad.

Moon Knight #1: Now this I liked a lot. I got it on recommendation from a young guy in the shop. Good recommendation.

Link Prime

A quiet-ish week;

Judge Dredd: Big Drokkin Treasury Edition 1; I have no idea what this'll turn out like, but if its anything like the Locke & Key Treasury Editions it should be a visual feast. Worth a punt for a tenner.
Transformers Regeneration One 100; The end to Simon Furman's epic series. Double sized, and it bloody well needs to be- there are a lot of plot threads that require tidying up. A very satisfying & well produced series, sorry to see it end.
The Unwritten: Apocalypse 3; I'm a bit behind on this, looking forward to a catch-up read.

Quote from: Link Prime on 11 March, 2014, 07:15:37 PM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 11 March, 2014, 04:47:55 PM

It'll be his Legion stuff.
As far as I've read, this one-off issue will feature stories by Carey, Gage & Spurrier, each revisiting characters / arcs from their respective runs (technically 'X-Men Legacy' began with issue 208).
I'd strongly expect flashback tales featuring Xavier & Rogue too.

Sorry If I misled you here Colin, the expected three short stories by each writer was not what we got. It's a collaborative effort by Spurrier, Carey & Gage instead.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Link Prime on 18 March, 2014, 11:38:12 AM
Sorry If I misled you here Colin, the expected three short stories by each writer was not what we got. It's a collaborative effort by Spurrier, Carey & Gage instead.

Not an issue not been to my Nerd Shop yet so if they have put it aside for me I'll flick through. Must admit I assumed it was going to be short stories rather than a collaboration.

Hawkmumbler

The Maxx Maxximised #2-4: Catching up on this. It's bloody good stuff all told and very evocative of the indie comic boom of the 90's. Which of course is where it originally came from. But it's revamped edition by IDW is so much more attractive.

Royals Masters of War #2: Not read this yet, but expect nothing but greatness.

Weekly Shonen Jump #15: Bleach was a grizzly and dark affair this week. When Kubo's good, he's shit hot.

Link Prime

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 18 March, 2014, 08:20:11 PM
The Maxx Maxximised #2-4: Catching up on this. It's bloody good stuff all told and very evocative of the indie comic boom of the 90's. Which of course is where it originally came from. But it's revamped edition by IDW is so much more attractive.

In no small way I regret not picking this up...will get the 1st trade for definite.

The Adventurer

My Digital Pulls for 03/19/14

2000 AD 1873 - Holding pattern. Feeling really excited for the next issue though, which is a big jumping on issue with an all new line-up.
PROPHET 43 - Feels like its been ages since the last issue of this.
SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 258 - Came out last week digital. Thought it was pretty okay. The whole issue is basically an action scene with the Freedom Fighters chasing a train. But with all the bigger stuff going on (ie: the planet is in the process of BLOWING UP) it felt a bit... small?
TRANSFORMERS: REGENERATION-ONE 100 - Its over. God is dead. I mean Transformers is dead. But at least it goes out with an oversized bang. I wonder what Furman is doing next.
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 16 - Excellent A++. Would buy again!

Ancient Otter

Quote from: The Adventurer on 18 March, 2014, 09:28:28 PMPROPHET 43 - Feels like its been ages since the last issue of this.

Will you be getting the Prophet Strikefiles coming out later in the year?

The Adventurer

If it's the continuation of Graham's story, then yes.

Mardroid

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 18 March, 2014, 08:20:11 PM
Royals Masters of War #2: Not read this yet, but expect nothing but greatness.

I just read it a short while ago and I confirm, I it is rather good.

I also read Revolutionary War: Motormouth and it was okay. I think those who are cognizant with Marvel UK's previous outing -  which I wasn't - might get more from these stories. Or possibly less.

2000ad The Meg . Both okay. The second Black Siddha collection was entertaining. Very amusing in places. That Bloody Mary gag though. Dear me...  :o

One the collections front I just picked up Marvels from Marvel's Graphic Novels collection . Yet to read but the art looks rather lovely.