Main Menu

Dredd articles in magazines

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 25 July, 2012, 06:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Sherman Kid

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 17 August, 2012, 06:07:33 PM
Is that a subscribers copy?

Yes -a subscribers copy. Missed the cherry on top - the full page Dredd poster on the back, which looks bloody superb. :thumbsup:

COMMANDO FORCES

Thank Drokk Dredd wasn't on the front otherwise I'd have to buy it as well  ;)

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: radiator on 17 August, 2012, 07:43:12 PM
Are they having a laugh with that cover?

I literally came on the film bit just to blast this. It's the worst cover I've seen for anything in AGES.

Artists a thousand times better are knocking blistingeringly good stuff up of their own volition. And not getting paid for it. We live in grim times.

JOE SOAP

To think it took more effort to fuck this picture up than to just print a press-photo as is.

CYCLOPZ

Mardroid

Heh, yeah. [spoiler]I confess I rather like the design of the 95 Lawgiver.[/spoiler] Look at the collar and juxtaposition of head and body. Look a bit... well... wonky.

SmallBlueThing

Up til a couple of issues ago i had no idea starburst was still going. While ive only bought the spidey cover issue and this dredd one (i really cant buy a magazine with dr who on the cover, like last month) i have to confess im in love with the 'new' incarnation of the mag. The format and size are gorgeous, the paper is perfect and the design- including ian welch's covers- are brilliant. I cant express how much i like welch's style and his dredd cover, and especially his wanton use of the 95 lawgiver.

Throughout my life there have been, infrequently, magazines that completely win me over- monster monthly, house of hammer/halls of horror, fear, fangoria, new/space voyager, deathray and now i think this new starburst is another. Long may it continue.

SBT

Frank

Sorry, SBT; I'll take your word that Welch is a genuine talent, but that cover is Fifty Shades of Pish.

SmallBlueThing

It's really not. And i didnt say he was a genuine talent, i said i liked his work. I dont feel the need to claim that everything i like is of high quality or artistry that only i can see. I just like his covers for starburst- they make me smile and sell the mag to me, saying it's something different from the godawful tripe it used to be before it disappeared off the shelves last time. It looks like something a bit off the wall- and im assuming that's why they use him, rather than crappy publicity photos, a million lines of text and exclamation marks.
SBT

Spikes

Just had chance to flick through this when i popped into town and that cover dont look no better up close, ill say that.

Dandontdare

This is the first Starburst I've picked up in years too, and I agree with SBT about the format (but not the cover). Chock full of other goodies too.

One thing I've noticed from reading various interviews though - That Lena Headey has some potty mouth.  :D

Spaceghost

That cover is absolutely shit. It boils my blood when talentless hacks who know a bit of basic photoshop can get paid work farting out rubbish like that.

Sorry SBT, I know you automatically take the contrary opinion to the majority but that cover is completely unjustifiable.

It's a total eye-sore.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

radiator

It's not even illustration, it's just some photos that have been mangled beyond recognition in Photoshop. As a piece of artwork, it's subjectively bad.

QuoteIt looks like something a bit off the wall- and im assuming that's why they use him

I would hazard a guess that it's more likely that they use him because he's very cheap.

QuoteThe format and size are gorgeous, the paper is perfect and the design- including ian welch's covers- are brilliant

It really isn't. I'd love to be at your house when some flyers from your local cheapy takeaway pop through the letterbox - "What a wonderful piece of design - such brilliant use of typography and layout - it's really off the wall and different".

radiator

I can't imagine Rebellion or the filmmakers are happy with that cover - doesn't exactly portray the film in a good light.

Goaty

Sorry but that cover is horrible! It's looks like fan-art.