Main Menu

Worst comic book you've ever read?

Started by ChickenStu, 26 May, 2013, 03:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sideshow Bob

Got to agree.....this is not such a good idea....No offense ChickenStu

And I would just say, sometimes its' not a good idea to discuss Comic Books down the pub with mates. Especially when you've all had a good drink, and if your mates are not as 'turned on' to comics as you are......

One 'slightly' inebriated night, for a laugh, I told them about Tarot 53 and it's 'haunted vagina'.......
And amid snorts of disbelief, ( I actually thought one of my mates was going to pass out, as he snorted while drinking a pint when I told him  and it went down the 'wrong way' )..  Gales of semi drunken laughter and the inevitable ' Are you f*****g serious questions ??'  ...I think I switched most of them off comics for life.... :-[
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Professor Bear

This is a great idea if applied to the last comic you read that was the worst comic you have ever read - it's such a fleeting title for any comic to hold, usually, but it might do readers of the Nu52 good if they have a thread to vent about what non-white character has been stabbed to death most recently.

Speaking of Nu52, I read Nightwing #20 on a whim to see what the book is like these days (I'm a big fan of Dixon/McDaniels original run on the character), and it is pretty dire, but - and this is an observation entirely unrelated to my appraisal of its qualities as a narrative work - it is quite possibly the gayest comic I have ever seen.  By page two, we're getting close-ups of the character's underwear-clad arse, or panels of him looking all smoldery as he slowly pulls off his costume, and then there are pages and pages of him wandering around his apartment in his undercrackers.  On his way to meet up with a bit of rough in an alley who acts as his informant, he does these crazy acrobatic moves where his ass has to be drawn prominently in shot, one page has a huge shot of the character with his butt pointed directly at the reader as steam wafts off his body and he turns so his buttocks and chest are in the same shot while some poor sap is on his knees in front of him is looking directly at Nightwing's cock, and the cliffhanger is basically the main character being forced to strip on camera by a man dressed in latex.  None of this is played for laughs, which is pretty odd because more than anything it reminds me of a super-serious version of Major Power And Spunky.

SuperSurfer

I agree, this thread will only end in tears.

I certainly wouldn't want to offend all those Human Fly, Dazzler and ROM Spaceknight creators and fans.

Richmond Clements

It's a dangerous path, for sure - but to go the route the Bear suggested is a good one... the trouble is though, it makes me want to read Nightwing...

JOE SOAP

I have a sudden urge to read Nightwing.

Goaty

Wow after reading about Nightwing, I just quick google it and er... there is Facebook page called Nightwing's butt   :o

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 27 May, 2013, 07:05:54 PM
Nightwing #20By page two, we're getting close-ups of the character's underwear-clad arse, or panels of him looking all smoldery as he slowly pulls off his costume, and then there are pages and pages of him wandering around his apartment in his undercrackers.  On his way to meet up with a bit of rough in an alley who acts as his informant, he does these crazy acrobatic moves where his ass has to be drawn prominently in shot, one page has a huge shot of the character with his butt pointed directly at the reader as steam wafts off his body and he turns so his buttocks and chest are in the same shot while some poor sap is on his knees in front of him is looking directly at Nightwing's cock, and the cliffhanger is basically the main character being forced to strip on camera by a man dressed in latex.  None of this is played for laughs, which is pretty odd because more than anything it reminds me of a super-serious version of Major Power And Spunky.

Sounds like they've just written Nightwing as if he were a female comic character.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 27 May, 2013, 09:13:00 PM
Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 27 May, 2013, 07:05:54 PM
Nightwing #20By page two, we're getting close-ups of the character's underwear-clad arse, or panels of him looking all smoldery as he slowly pulls off his costume, and then there are pages and pages of him wandering around his apartment in his undercrackers.  On his way to meet up with a bit of rough in an alley who acts as his informant, he does these crazy acrobatic moves where his ass has to be drawn prominently in shot, one page has a huge shot of the character with his butt pointed directly at the reader as steam wafts off his body and he turns so his buttocks and chest are in the same shot while some poor sap is on his knees in front of him is looking directly at Nightwing's cock, and the cliffhanger is basically the main character being forced to strip on camera by a man dressed in latex.  None of this is played for laughs, which is pretty odd because more than anything it reminds me of a super-serious version of Major Power And Spunky.

Sounds like they've just written Nightwing as if he were a female comic character.

Yeah - he sounds like he's right out of the Hawkeye Initiative.

LorcanQ

hmmm ultimate marvel's crossover event Ultimatum by jeph loeb is gloriously terrible, and Ultimates 3 for that matter. should both really be read just to be believed

Oh and "The Last Christmas" by image comics. so so So bad. ruined my christmas morning

JamesC

It'd be a Star Wars comic. There are some really terrible Star Wars comics out there.

Professor Bear

I think licensed comics are naturally inclined to be terrible because of the approval process and writers and editors trying to second-guess it ahead of time, but I did buy a Boba Fett Omnibus because so much of it was written by John Wagner, though it was a real gamble as I had - until that point - never read a single good Star Wars comic.  To balance out the Wagner stuff, there was some dreadful story in the omnibus I didn't even finish that felt like it went on forever, about mercenaries teaming up or something, and it was drawn in this highly abstract way that just did it no favors at all - at the time, I would have said that was possibly the worst comic I had ever read.  And that's coming from someone who then bought the Droids/Ewoks Omnibus on purpose and read it.

LorcanQ

oh just remembered the worst one i've ever read... does anyone remember the Preacher special Tall in the Saddle? It's at the end of the 8th graphic novel and acts as a prequel to Preacher starring Jesse, Tulip and that girl friend of theirs. It had horrendously out of character moments such as tulip flashing her tits to the cops, jesse murdering 3 men by 1. Drilling thru one's head, 2. stamping a horses head thru another's head and 3. hanging one from a tree so that he shits and pisses himself. I know, jesse does kill people easily enough in Preacher, but this was set before the actual series so just felt so unnecessary and out of place. Lastly, Jesse kisses Tulip's friend accidently and then contemplates trying a threesome with her and jesse....  Not only all these but it was just so damn bad

AAAARGGGHH why garth why?? as i read it i prayed it was a parody - not in continuity, but it was, it was even mentioned in the last issue of the actual preacher series. I like to pretend it didnt happen

ChickenStu

Quote from: JamesC on 27 May, 2013, 10:17:56 PM
It'd be a Star Wars comic. There are some really terrible Star Wars comics out there.

I don't know. I've got quite a few of those graphic novels. Can't think of one off the top of my head I would say is bad. Generally speaking I quite like them! Find them rather quaint!
Ma Ma's not the law... (you know the rest)

sheldipez

Quote from: ChickenStu on 28 May, 2013, 10:49:26 PM
Quote from: JamesC on 27 May, 2013, 10:17:56 PM

I don't know. I've got quite a few of those graphic novels. Can't think of one off the top of my head I would say is bad. Generally speaking I quite like them! Find them rather quaint!

Isn't that case with all bad comics. I loathe Batman: Venom but there's half a dozen pages in there that crack me up.

Spikes

The Light and Darkness War......
Now dont get me wrong, the art is to die for, but boy - it was hard work getting to the end of issue six.