Main Menu

Devlin Waugh: Swimming in Blood (spoiler free)

Started by Bat King, 01 April, 2014, 12:53:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

I very much hope Fetish is included in Devlin Waugh volume 2, because I'm not buying the Case Files book.

TordelBack

Quote from: Jimmy Baker's Assistant on 09 April, 2014, 09:22:30 AM
I very much hope Fetish is included in Devlin Waugh volume 2, because I'm not buying the Case Files book.

This is an interesting one.  On the one hand you have the Chopper GN, which doesn't include 'Unamerican Graffiti', 'Midnight Surfer' or 'Oz', because these are Dredd stories, despite those being a good deal more essential to the character than 'Fetish' is to Devlin.  On the other you have the America GN, which includes the Dredd story 'Cadet'.  It seems these decisions (outside of the Dredd Casefiles' clear policy of Only Stories Called Judge Dredd) are made on a case-by-case best-fit basis, so they should be up for discussion.

In this instance I suspect it would have been wise to include Fetish, even though we'll get it in the Casefiles in a couple of years, but I suppose that its omission makes the chances of getting a Volume 2 higher or at least sooner, with less requirement for new material after 'Innocence and Experience' to fill out the pages.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: TordelBack on 09 April, 2014, 09:34:40 AM
In this instance I suspect it would have been wise to include Fetish, even though we'll get it in the Casefiles in a couple of years, but I suppose that its omission makes the chances of getting a Volume 2 higher or at least sooner, with less requirement for new material after 'Innocence and Experience' to fill out the pages.

I'd really rather they didn't include Fetish, tbh - as I said on another thread, if they omit Fetish and save Innocence and Expierience for a third book (it is the prologue for things yet to come, after all) we'd have a second collection painted entirely by Colin Macneil! Creatively consistent and gorgeous to look at.
@jamesfeistdraws

8-Ball

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 09 April, 2014, 06:11:26 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 09 April, 2014, 09:34:40 AM

I'd really rather they didn't include Fetish, tbh - as I said on another thread, if they omit Fetish and save Innocence and Expierience for a third book (it is the prologue for things yet to come, after all) we'd have a second collection painted entirely by Colin Macneil! Creatively consistent and gorgeous to look at.

That does sound tasty. Now that you put it that way I don't feel so bad. Without wanting to sound as if I have an entitlement complex I did buy the new edition of Swimming In Blood sight unseen on the assumption that I was getting a like-for-like replacement with better repro. Space on my shelves is at a premium and I am kind of stuck with a previous edition that I can't part with until Fetish appears in a Case File and that will be a few years off. It's not a major problem, more a minor inconvenience. :)
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

TordelBack

Drifting slightly off topic, how does Red Tide read in one go anyway?  I confess that I found it excruciating when it ran in the Meg, doled out in Smartie-sized pieces for what seemed like several years.

8-Ball

Quote from: TordelBack on 09 April, 2014, 10:23:12 PM
Drifting slightly off topic, how does Red Tide read in one go anyway?  I confess that I found it excruciating when it ran in the Meg, doled out in Smartie-sized pieces for what seemed like several years.

Personally, I thought it was fine, but then again I have only ever read it as one big chunk rather than wee pieces in the Meg.
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Eightball on 09 April, 2014, 11:30:11 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 09 April, 2014, 10:23:12 PM

Personally, I thought it was fine, but then again I have only ever read it as one big chunk rather than wee pieces in the Meg.

Same here. I've only read the trade and I thought it was paced nicely.