Main Menu

Deadpool - Dirty Laundry.

Started by Goaty, 30 July, 2014, 08:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg M.

I think the franchise angle might help the film see greater commercial success than some of the comparable examples. This is an X-Men movie, after all, and those movies have done very well – there's a couple of duds in there, but Fox has a pretty good batting average.

Tiplodocus

I like the various comments on youtube and Facebook etc. remarking "Finally a  comic book movie for adults".  It still looks childish to me. Sweary, sexy, violent childish. So I am in.

Plus I like Ryan Reynolds. There. I said it.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

The trailer looks pretty good. I'm no fan of Kick Ass, but Netflix Daredevil works as a superhero for mature viewers, which shows it can be done.

Besides, I do enjoy the Fox X-Men movies, so let's just quietly forget about Fantastic Four and hope this one delivers on its promises.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 05 August, 2015, 06:28:21 PM
I don't think it will crash and burn, but I can't see it being a hit either. I guess how well it does will depend on how much they've spent on it.

For a film that won't be out till February this film has the best marketing of any this year and in the space of less than a day its trailer has racked up 6 million youtube views. I'll be surprised if this doesn't do very well in its league. FOX are showing a confidence with this film they never showed with Fantastic 4 or even X-Men.

Along with a a perfect Deadpool suit it also features X-Men characters/suits that look more like X-Men than the Kinberg/Singer versions ever did - something fans have wanted for years.

Goaty

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 05 August, 2015, 10:49:03 PM
For a film that won't be out till February this film has the best marketing of any this year and in the space of less than a day its trailer has racked up 6 million youtube views.

If YouTube views were guarantees of box office success this:

Would be the highest grossing film in the history of cinema.

(For those that have no idea what that up there is btw PLEASE don't seek it out, you'll wish you weren't alive in these troubling times. Blissful ignorance. Embrace it, own it.)

TordelBack

I'm not a fan of Deadpool, although he has raised a smile in passing - but that trailer actually looked fun, and significantly distinct from either the Disney/Marvel stable or the DC gloomathon to be its own thing. Interesting.

radiator

QuoteWell, you could, though.

Yeah, but you wouldn't though.  :P

JOE SOAP

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 07 August, 2015, 10:32:17 AMIf YouTube views were guarantees of box office success this:

I never claimed this single thing 'guarantees' success or anything of the sort but all social media stats are indications of initial interest and used to track what the film could potentially make if reaction to it is positive and acquires good word of mouth. The fact that something like Deadpool is at 14 million views in the space of a week shows that the studio has grabbed and increased people's initial attention with a trailer for a niche comic character in an R-rated film that cost a third ($50 million) of the usual superhero film or a film like Fury Road. As I indicated in my previous post this is a small part of a good marketing campaign - something most R-rated action films don't usually have the luxury of or even succeed at.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 08 August, 2015, 02:51:42 AM
I never claimed this single thing 'guarantees' success or anything of the sort but all social media stats are indications of initial interest and used to track what the film could potentially make if reaction to it is positive and acquires good word of mouth.

Yep - absolutely fair enough! Just wanted to bring up Smosh the Movie as a horror of the modern age. Underestimate word of mouth at your peril!

JOE SOAP

This is the first time I've ever heard of Smosh but now I must see it. It can't be as bad as Fantastic 4...

Hawkmumbler

Goaty

Goaty

DaveGYNWA

Peas sell. But who's Brian?