Main Menu

Prog 1930 - Trojan Hearse

Started by IronGraham, 09 May, 2015, 10:23:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hazy efc

Great prog ive only just recently got a 2000ad sub as i hadn't read it in some time.                                        Im loving strontium dog and grey area is a lot of fun.                             

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 13 May, 2015, 03:06:59 PM
My Strontium Dog amnesia struck again this week and I couldn't remember why Alpha was on that planet. He's looking for the Styxx brothers I guess, but talking to Purple Jabba too and I wasn't totally sure why.

Next week I start charging for this...  ;)

The Rock is one of those lawless 'wretched hive of scum and villiany' deals and Castor Limax (purple Jabba) is the pirate-king who rules it. So Alpha needs to get in with him before he can start searching the Rock for the Stixes (who've kidnapped the ruler of North Korea and thereby risked a nuclear war on Earth, remember).
@jamesfeistdraws

Hawkmumbler

A very enjoyable peog all told.....

The cover is nice and striking, but the layout for Slaine this week is a love it or hate it affair. Personaly, I think any excuse for full panel, three a page, Davis art is justifiable. It was bloody (ha!) glorious!

Dredd is a good story but a little to much like Mandroid for it to be consudered truely refreshing, and actually feels a little underwhelming after a stonking run thus far this year. Elson's art suits it well.

Terror Tale was naff. A real dud and instatly forgetable.

Grey Area throws several spanners in the works and is the best the series has ever been. Really, really liking where this is going.

Stronty is just pure class thrillagle. Top of the prog for me.

Frank

Some of you are congratulating yourselves for spotting that the douchebag who inflicted misery on the Biggard family in the Dredd strip was called Kipper (as in UKIPper), and others may even have clocked the ironic name [1] of the lux-apts where the professor lived, but did you spot Simon Davis's reference to the two independently gimbaled halves of Douglas Carswell's jaw?

[1] in the tradition of the slum block, Gramercy Heights, in last year's Block Judge

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Butch on 13 May, 2015, 09:09:05 PM

Some of you are congratulating yourselves for spotting that the douchebag who inflicted misery on the Biggard family in the Dredd strip was called Kipper (as in UKIPper), and others may even have clocked the ironic name [1] of the lux-apts where the professor lived, but did you spot Simon Davis's reference to the two independently gimbaled halves of Douglas Carswell's jaw?

[1] in the tradition of the slum block, Gramercy Heights, in last year's Block Judge

I thought that guy was Donnie Osmond,

If you remember that episode from The Goodies - 1:30 (Eugenics?)

I will have more to say about this later... I managed to get those Progs despite my earlier problems.

Adamskilad

"The four people who read the Damage Report?"

I think the droids are selling themselves short! I read it religiously every week - it provides a lovely little insight into the Nerve Centre.

Although I'm surprised after all these years that Tharg hasn't clocked to it and sent the offending droids off to Mek-Quake. His editorial standards are slipping...

Dandontdare

Quote from: Adamskilad on 15 May, 2015, 04:55:20 PM
"The four people who read the Damage Report?"

I think the droids are selling themselves short! I read it religiously every week - it provides a lovely little insight into the Nerve Centre.

I've only just started reading it again after it moved to slightly bigger type. In the past I had no chance, even with my reading specs on!

DrJomster

All the best to top droid Pye! Sterling work for the prog, Sir!

Fantastic news that Absalom's returning! I've literally just re-read Caballistics 1 & 2 followed by Absalom: Ghosts of London these last couple of weeks. Can't wait!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Hawkmumbler

Aye, fair well to Pye, he will be missed.

Pop Culture Bandit

Here's our in-depth review for Prog 1930

http://www.popculturebandit.co.uk/2015/05/2000ad-prog-1930.html

Great little debut Future Shock - always nice to see new blood in the Prog!

Grey Area and Strontium Dog continue to vye for the position of "Thrill of the Week", with the result often dependant on whichever one made me laugh the most that week!

Fungus

All thrills are bumping along well at the moment, I'm with Consensus Block on Grey Area and Strontium Dog. Played for laughs, they are the picks for me. Could be the election has put everyone in good spirits. Or not.

I'm not convinced on the Carswell jaw rip-off. It's a tempting one but I think that's coincidence? Would be interested to get that one confirmed from the Davis droid  :)  Now I think about it, could it even be subconscious ? That half-face is hard to forget once seen...

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Fungus on 19 May, 2015, 09:44:23 AM
Could be the election has put everyone in good spirits.

:lol: Must be.
@jamesfeistdraws

Frank

Quote from: Fungus on 19 May, 2015, 09:44:23 AM
I'm not convinced on the Carswell jaw rip-off. It's a tempting one but I think that's coincidence? Would be interested to get that one confirmed from the Davis droid  :)  Now I think about it, could it even be subconscious ? That half-face is hard to forget once seen...

I wasn't really suggesting it was deliberate, Fungus. It seemed kinder to pretend it was another of this prog's political references than admit I'm obsessed with Carswell and just wanted to point and stare.

ThryllSeekyr

Nothing more to say except that the nipples of Slaine are very disturbing and give me knight-mares.