Main Menu

Favourite Art Droid CLASSIC - POOL 3 Qualifying

Started by Colin YNWA, 21 October, 2020, 06:33:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sintec

JayzusB.Christ

Liam Sharp and Jock, please, for their PJ Maybe and Dredd respectively.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Huey2

I, Cosh

He didn't do much, but Philip Bond's distinctive cartoony style is a huge amount of fun.

Hard to see past Jock for the other place, but I'll give it to Peter Doherty, who gets a lot of feeling onto the page.
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

This one is throwing up some surprises to me and I really can't call it from a quick eye scan. So get your votes in before the morning as I'll close voting first thing Saturday.

Dark Jimbo

Liam Sharp (already well represented) and Trevor Hairsine - can't believe he doesn't have any votes yet! Too obviously influenced by McMahon, perhaps?
@jamesfeistdraws

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 23 October, 2020, 08:57:10 AM
... Trevor Hairsine - can't believe he doesn't have any votes yet! Too obviously influenced by McMahon, perhaps?

Yeah this has really surprised me. When making my predictions I did wonder if Trevor Hairsine would get a slot as his work is great and struck me as being very popular. The competition was too strong in the end and my predictions went elsewhere.

Mind this is another particularly strong pool and the fact Hairsine didn't have a voe before now really just speaks to that rather than anything in Trevor's art I'd suggest.

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED but there is much to chat about.

This vote has everything that I think will make this tournament the most interesting and exciting so far. I mean its a tough pool and there is some incredible talent involved but still it throws up a lot of surprises to me. I called this as Charlie Adlard (who I'd have voted for) and Jock being the most popular and both did well, bit only one has qualified. It would however never have occured to me that Jim McCarthy would have been in the mix.

Jock did indeed get through, but for me he's done his best work after leaving Tharg's care. What also surprised me is my second vote went to Pete Doherty and he actually topped the pool. Yet I hadn't realised quite how popular this art is. So yeah the great thing about this is art is so personal its pretty hard to call things and it will be fascinating to see if assumptions I've made about later rounds to to pass.

Anyway into tourney proper go:

Peter Doherty

Jock

Greg M.

Jock seems to have made a huge impact on the fanbase off the back of a fairly small body of work. Lots of Tor Cyan fans out there.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Greg M. on 24 October, 2020, 08:58:40 AM
Jock seems to have made a huge impact on the fanbase off the back of a fairly small body of work. Lots of Tor Cyan fans out there.

Yeah on my re-read it did strike me once again how little he actually did for Tharg. Mind that does include some pretty iconic covers and Dress images that adorn plenty of merchandise.