Main Menu

Quoting Scripture

Started by JohnW, 01 September, 2023, 08:00:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnW

On too many mornings, standing in the kitchen as my brain boots up, I will find myself staring dully at the makings of my breakfast and saying,
'This is an apple. Say apple.'

By the same token, I'll identify roadkill with the words,
'It's a dead bird, Uncle Waldo.'

Once, in a job with which I was becoming steadily less enamoured, I answered my boss's inquiry as to when I was coming back from holiday with,
'Who said anything about coming back?'

These are just the ones that come to mind, and they're all early Alan Moore, but I wonder if ever, in the grip of despair, I might throw myself from a high building, would part of me be yelling, 'For freedom! For justice! For Mega-City One!' on the way down?

Surely I can't be alone in this. Surely there must be a few thousand middle-aged oddballs out there who go about muttering random quotes from 2000AD in unguarded moments?

Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

sheridan

No, but I think I might start.  Looking forward to going to the fruit aisle of the supermarket tomorrow so I can admonish Rackle to "Mind the oranges, Marlon"

Barrington Boots

I'm not sure about using these in public, but "Your mouth is full of wrong" is one that gets used a lot in my house. "Bojemoi!" too as well and of course, the classic '"Izzat so?"

There's a line in You are Mean Machine where Mean runs through a crowd with a Judge helmet perched stupidly on top of his head and says "Outta my way, I'm a stinkin' Judge". This is my favourite 2000ad to quote / bastardise of all time.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

nxylas

Not out loud, but I can never see a mentor death scene in a movie without mentally adding Judge Shmaltz's famous last words: "And another thing...uuuh!"
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

JayzusB.Christ

Very humble ones from me, I'm afraid.

Not out loud, when I'm making plans: 'Here's what we're gonna do.' (Ugly John from Button Man)

Not out loud: 'You will be.' (Dredd again,  but in my case I also have to pretend that the person who pissed me off said sorry.)

Out loud, when realising something: 'Wait a minute.' (Dredd, who also says it to himself out loud in a PJ Maybe story.)

None of them are exactly 'Gaze into the fist of Dredd', I know.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

I do sometimes use "one chance - [boot knife]", but replacing it with something innocuous like a stapler. And I just do it in my head, because ... they're watching!

The Judge Dredd figurine in our house does have conversations with mini-Solo where he's entirely in character and they entirely disrespect his authority.

- "Is that sugar in that bowl, creep?"
 - "It's not illegal here, Judge Dredd! Now, let's put a dress on you!"
 - "Assaulting a Judge! 20 years!"
 etc.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Enigmatic Dr X

"I know lots of things. Cat's cradle!"
Lock up your spoons!

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 01 September, 2023, 11:16:46 PM"I know lots of things. Cat's cradle!"

(PJ Maybe's first words to Dredd, I think)

Lock up your spoons!

JohnW

I think that in future, anytime I have to class up my appearance, I will straighten my tie in the mirror and say:
"Stak! He wears a suit!"
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JohnW on 02 September, 2023, 06:52:04 PMI think that in future, anytime I have to class up my appearance, I will straighten my tie in the mirror and say:
"Stak! He wears a suit!"

I like it  :lol:  Think I'll follow, er, suit, on the one or two days a year I don't dress like a Norman Rockwell hobo.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

paddykafka

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 02 September, 2023, 10:45:39 PM
Quote from: JohnW on 02 September, 2023, 06:52:04 PMI think that in future, anytime I have to class up my appearance, I will straighten my tie in the mirror and say:
"Stak! He wears a suit!"

I like it  :lol:  Think I'll follow, er, suit, on the one or two days a year I don't dress like a Norman Rockwell hobo.

For when you're undoubtedly rocking the Max Normal look.  :)

https://live.staticflickr.com/3898/32481087350_ca22b95935_b.jpg

JohnW

Not out loud, but in moments of hard decision and cold certainty – when I'm committed to what needs to be done:

"Gimme the pie, Charlie!"

(Like when I want that pie, for instance)

JohnW

Quote from: paddykafka on 02 September, 2023, 11:18:54 PM
"Stak! He wears a suit!"

Well if that's the way this thread is going, then let's take it all the way and flog this (well-dressed) horse into the ground.

sheridan

When answering a query on what the weather's like...

"Grim"

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JohnW on 03 September, 2023, 01:43:16 PM
Quote from: paddykafka on 02 September, 2023, 11:18:54 PM
"Stak! He wears a suit!"

Well if that's the way this thread is going, then let's take it all the way and flog this (well-dressed) horse into the ground.

Guffaw!  Have to admit I read the title first and feared the worst but my fears were groundless