Main Menu

Prog 2360: The weight of the world

Started by IndigoPrime, 27 November, 2023, 12:52:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrington Boots

I read Hodge's attack as something to drive the monster back, saving the airship, but not endangering the settlement that's within it - her vehicles weapons are totally crappy and unable to damage it, and it's aiming for a 'nobody dies' scenario. Fits with her background as an officer responsible for helping people.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Magnetica

A bit dip in quality this week, apart from Helium and Feral and Foe which carry on in the same vein as before.

As to the other strips.

Not a big fan of this particular Dredd trilogy. Hopefully it will only be a two parter.

Enemy Earth carries on as before. It's the same standard as before, no better, but no worse. I'm just not a fan.

Which leaves The Devil's Railroad. The subject matter of the script has hit a real low this week. I really don't want to see this kind of thing, I was going to say in the Prog, but really anwywhere.

staticgirl

Yeah I've been pretty revolted by the ...Railroad on the whole. It looks like it should be Fun, the art is cool but you have these cartoon baddies doing really seriously unpleasant things which are not fun. It doesn't work as farce because farce is usually fairly harmless and it doesn't work as satire because these are cartoon baddies not the real world forces affecting real world immigrants having the piss taken out of them.

I'm also not a fan of Enemy Earth because I am not always sure who everyone is and I am fed up of When Animals and Plants Attack. I am a wee bit bored with the whole thing. It's never going to be a particularly epic saga but I will say that the art has fantastic energy, if the artist could draw faces in a slightly different way, I would be well on board.

The rest of the prog, though, is fantastic. Helium and F&F are fantastic to look at and I love the stories and characters. The Dredd story makes me smile. I liked the warring programming/possession voices.

Richard

Quoteif the artist could draw faces in a slightly different way
FIFY

Funt Solo

Quote from: Richard on 03 December, 2023, 04:45:08 PM
Quoteif the artist could draw faces in a slightly different way
FIFY

Richard - you are being a Scunthorpe. (I deleted what I was going to say - this is the polite version.)

---

Let's just summarize some reality here:

- Zoe is wearing a bandana, has long purple hair and bruised eyes. And one arm.
- Jules has a dark mop of hair and stripey tentacles growing out of his back.
- The robot head has a single large red eye and is the head of a robot.
- The pilot is a massive bearded lumberjack of a man with wild red eyes.
- There's a dude on the ground with a Hitler moustache and a bald, scarred head.

If you can't tell the difference between those things then it's not the artist's fault.

(You're free not to like any art style you're presented with, but try not to talk utter bollocks about it.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

broodblik

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 03 December, 2023, 05:59:32 PMIf you can't tell the difference between those things then it's not the artist's fault.

But it is the artist fault if everyone looks like dudes
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Funt Solo

Oh, dear Grud - I've been teleported to a dimension where everyone's a [censored].  :'(
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Woolly

There's a difference between 'faces all look the same' and 'faces all look like they were drawn by the same artist'.

FWIW I think the art for Enemy Earth is the best thing going for it. Great style, fluid and dynamic action, good storytelling, and a welcome art style. Not sure why some are having an issue telling the characters apart.
(I'll admit the story isn't working for me, but that's no slight on the quality of the strip. I'm sure it rightfully has it's fans.)

Same goes for Nick Dyer's art - yes it's sketchy stuff, but the style, storytelling and page layouts are superb. Thoroughly prog-worthy!

Le Fink

Quote from: Woolly on 04 December, 2023, 05:14:23 PM...Great style, fluid and dynamic action,...
Yes yes and yes!

Quote...good storytelling...
I dunno, if I have a minor criticism it's that I think the storytelling in Enemy Earth isn't always there... sometimes I can't tell what's going on.

I can tell who is who though - the characters are drawn consistently from what I can see. The giant purple eyebags have been toned down a bit of late which I appreciate (looking at the next prog).

Richard

I can tell the characters apart, it's just that I often can't tell what they're doing or what's happening.

Blue Cactus

For what it's worth I think Horsman's storytelling has become clearer as the series has progressed. I felt the most recent episode was channeling the sheer energy levels of his work into much clearer and more fluid action from panel to panel.