Main Menu

2000AD collections - deluxe editions?

Started by The Amstor Computer, 26 March, 2002, 12:09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Amstor Computer

If you could, what would you like to see added to a Titan or Rebellion collection?
I've come up with the following, but I'd be interested to see what everyone else would want to see added to a collected strip.

Character sketches & rough page drafts

Script extracts

Trailers for future collections - maybe a page or two of artwork, or a sneak peek at bonus features

Collected cover artwork, minus logo & text

Interviews or forewords from the creators - maybe tell us something about the genesis of the story & characters

Leigh S

Wouldn't want the sneak previews - but everything else is essential - otherwise, why should I bother buying material I already have.

1:Cover - new, by original artist if possible - I also liked the little B&W piccys that were used on the first page of the earlier titan books.  Don't just use the old cover as with ABC Warriors and Dr & Quinch.  The only exception I'd make to this is if the forthcoming Stront book uses the uncut original art from the earlier Titan book (a black strip was run down the left handside, obscuring Wulf and a load of other detail - I'd kill to see the full image!

2:Foreword by someone who knows what went on - writer preferably, followed by artist or editor.  

3:Rare sketches or art - as an example, the Dredd vs Death hardback should have featured the Bolland Death poster art on the cover, rather than a swipe from the reprinted strip.  Many old british fanzines have a load of original artwork by the likes of Bolland/McMahon/O'Neill etc.

Some thought into the actual selection.  The Slaine reprint was a missed opportunity to put straight Titans previous mistakes.  The first book should have featured The Time Monster, Bride of Crom, Heroes Blood etc.  The second book should have featured sky chariots and a third featured Dragon heist.    These early Slaine stories have been criminally overlooked, which is amazing considering the popularity of the character.

Basically, I dont want to be left with the impression that the volume has been thrown together.  The original Titan books were real labours of love, and I hope that the new run will aim for those same values. So far, its been patchy - new intros for Slaine and Halo Jones, but nothing in the Garth Ennis reprints since the first one.

The Amstor Computer

>>>1:Cover - new, by original artist if possible<<<

Sounds good - ideally, if the book is a one-off, I'd let the cover artist free reign to design the *entire* jacket, with the only constraints being things like keeping the correct logo. I've seen so many gorgeous pieces of cover art arsed up by an incompetent designer.

A series of books collecting the adventures of a single character should obviously look like they belong to an ongoing series - some of the recent Dredd collections have little in common beyond the logo.

Make these books stand out on the shelves - I imagine a hardback edition of Nikolai Dante in pure white with the Romanov crest emblazoned on the front. Have the title running down the spine, but no other text on the jacket.
Do something striking, something beyond the usual logo & character-shot.