Main Menu

Live music for Dreddcon?

Started by Tanky, 31 May, 2004, 10:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tanky

OK. I may live to regret this, but here we go...
If there's to be live tunes at Dreddcon, I hereby offer to sort it out.

Firstly, i need to know who i should talk to in order to get the idea off the ground. I can knock up a business plan type thing, and yes i've put on gigs before. Not quite this big, admittedly!

At this stage it's probably also a good idea if anyone who's up for playing or DJing posts here, so i can see what we have.

Suggestions for headlining acts to hassle are also appreciated. I'd like to get a mixture of genres, so that everyones happy, but who do we all want to see?

If it's gonna happen, it'll have to start soon...
Whaddaya think?

Trout

Get the Pixies and I'm all for it.

Seriously, I'm not sure the venue will handle it.

The organisers may also have a bit much on their plate, too.

I'm sure Jamie will reply to you in some way.

- Trout

Slippery PD

Get the Pixies and I'm all for it
They are touring this summer after all.  Kim Deal was the woman of my dreams as a teenager.  

I think its a great idea, but it could be a bitch to organise.

Yer Slips

Queen Firey-Bou

hmmm, hate to be a downer, but there were bands at Bristol this w/e and people didnt exactly throng into the room they were playing in. Kev Sutherland was basically dragging people in there, slower than they could slink off back to the main bar....

tho maybe different band, venue, dunno what do others think ?

Tanky

I can do the bulk of the organising, but i think the Pixies may be a bit too expensive! I'd need back up from the fine folks at tooth and the meg as far as advertising goes, and i need to know the basics of the venue before i put a plan together...

astrojoe

The V.Cs would certainly do it. And if you need help with organising it then I'll do whatever is necessary. Let's make it happen!

Link: http://www.thevcs.com" target="_blank">The V.Cs

Noisybast

I think if they had put the bands somewhere were people wanted to be - like, say the main hall, or the main bar - the bands would have been better received.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Quirkafleeg

IMHO music at cons never works, espcially short one or two day ones. Basically because after the main con business has finished (buying and selling comics, sketches, panels) all the vast majority of people want to do is sit in the bar and catch up with old friends, talk rubbish and fall over.

I also don't think the venue would be very suitable.

However this might work if it was a post-Shedcon event in a diff venue. (Shedcon being the unofficial pub meeting on the night before Dreddcon)

esoteric ed

I'd love to DJ at an event like this but living outside of the smoke and getting the time away from DJing on home turf can be awkward, live music sounds a great idea though!

Ed

Trout

Tanky

Ok, so i guess it's a no, but just wanted to bump this up in a 'last call' fashion in case anyone missed it. I'm sure there's more than 2 bands and a dj here!

stubborn tanky x

Scottiepunk

Tanky, get in touch with Dom-1 at 2000AD, I'd say he's the one to say whether it's a goer or not!