Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MR. ELIMINATOR

Watched the Wolverine which was shit

Only God Forgives which I thought was really good

A Filipino film called Graceland which was good

and Two Mules for Sister Sarah, a great Clint Eastwood western.

Buttonman

Some true life whoisit drama for me in Who is Clark Rockefeller? followed by some eco-freeze drama with a bloke with pointy teeth in The Colony.

JamesC

Looper

I'd seen this before at the cinema but didn't remember it being quite so silly.
There's some nice design in the film and Emily Blunt is the best thing in it by a country mile.
JGL seems to be wearing lipstick and 'Just For Men: Eyebrow' for some reason and the story is full of plot holes.
The main thing I don't understand is why, if they can transport through time and space (as demonstrated by sending Bruce Willis from China to a corn field in America) why don't they just send them to the bottom of the ocean or into space?
This film also has the worst sound mix of any film in recent memory. The loud bits blow your head off while the rest of the time everyone whispers and mumbles so that you can barely understand them.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Twilight Zone: The Movie

Really fun, but ultimately it suffers from hit & miss syndrome, a bit like our very own Future Shocks. When it's good it's very good, but when it's bad it's boring, maybe even a little bit cringeworthy.

Highlights include the opening sequence with Dan Akroyd and the remake of Terror at 20,000 Feet. Initially I was skeptical, I thought a remake would be redundant without the Shatner's kitschy appeal, but ye gods, John Lithgow turns in a powerhose performance. Completely convincing, he looks genuinely sick in the head by the end of it, like he has properly been put through the wringer.

The low-point was Speilberg's contribution. Someone was complaining about Spielberg's schmaltz a few pages back, well this is a prime example. Normally I'm quite forgiving of this kind of thing in Spielberg's work, but his wonder-of-childhood schtick doesn't really fit in with the tone of the rest of the movie.
You may quote me on that.

Theblazeuk

Quote from: JamesC on 30 July, 2013, 08:03:10 AM
Looper
JGL seems to be wearing lipstick and 'Just For Men: Eyebrow' for some reason and the story is full of plot holes.
The main thing I don't understand is why, if they can transport through time and space (as demonstrated by sending Bruce Willis from China to a corn field in America) why don't they just send them to the bottom of the ocean or into space?
This film also has the worst sound mix of any film in recent memory. The loud bits blow your head off while the rest of the time everyone whispers and mumbles so that you can barely understand them.

To look like Bruce Willis, mileage may vary on how successful that is. Good point about the time/space travel it is a completely ridiculous idea.

And the sound mix is way too imbalanced I noticed that too when watching at hom.

Recrewt

Looper.

Yeah, the false nose did work a bit to make him look like Bruce but the eyebrows were a strange choice.

Ignoring the big plot holes mentioned already, I liked it enough until we suddenly started spending all our time on a farm.  That section of the film was intensely boring and made me 'zone out'. 

NapalmKev

Bad Ass - starring Danny Trejo.  Not bad at all, it's apparently based on a true story about an American guy seeking justice for his murdered friend.

Dark Skies - an absolute turd of a film. Crap plot, bad acting, no redeeming features whatsoever.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Sideshow Bob

Flight starring Denzel Washington.....

A good movie, very enjoyable, but not ( surprisingly ) concentrating on the [spoiler]crash of the aircraft[/spoiler]....
Although the [spoiler]crash sequence [/spoiler] itself is fairly thrilling...
The film itself is more of a character study of the 'flawed' pilot and his eventual redemption...

Recommended watching but not 'Highly recommended' if you know what I mean....A good entertaining film with a typical solid lead performance by Denzel...

Cheers
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Link Prime

Quote from: Sideshow Bob on 30 July, 2013, 03:44:46 PM
Flight starring Denzel Washington.....

I was presented with 'Flight' as a Friday night movie option a few weeks ago, and practically dislodged my retinas by rolled my eyes so much.
It is very surprisingly a pretty great movie, with a refreshing non-Hollywood ending.

von Boom

Hanah - Good film. Not great. Kept my attention, but certainly didn't leave me thinking a sequel was in order.

Frank

Quote from: Buttonman on 29 July, 2013, 10:36:26 PM
Some true life whoisit drama for me in Who is Clark Rockefeller? followed by some eco-freeze drama with a bloke with pointy teeth in The Colony.

" Essentially the whole film can be summarised as 'group disturbs nest of cannibals and then gets chased home by them'. Not so much a movie plot as a game of tag ... and despite their ridiculousness I quite enjoyed the OTT troupe of permanently hungry people eaters"

Like all great reviews, yours leaves me with absolutely no desire to see the film. Good blog, Buttonmoon.

Buttonman

Cheers Sauchie! All about opinions though - give it a look and find your own plot holes!

Frank

Quote from: Buttonman on 30 July, 2013, 08:22:23 PM
Cheers Sauchie! All about opinions though - give it a look and find your own plot holes!

I was going to comment on your blog, but it wanted my personal details. I'm not completely convinced you're not a Nigerian fraudster who's after the hard-earned £263 I have in my current account, so your blog can get tae fuck.

Buttonman

MR. ELIMINATOR

Quote from: von Boom on 30 July, 2013, 04:26:39 PM
Hanah - Good film. Not great. Kept my attention, but certainly didn't leave me thinking a sequel was in order.

I really liked this film, I think it was mostly down to the chemical brothers soundtrack. Gave it a nice edge.