Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

Well the original Highlander was also sort of in my thoughts as I quite liked it back on original release but blimey I find it all but unwatcheable these days. Sorry.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Ghost MacRoth

Gravity

Had to watch it twice before I could decide what I thought of it.  On one hand, it is indeed technically brilliant, the opening shot (all 20 odd minutes of it!) is superbly done, and the mundane-ness of the activities and conversations to begin with really help set a very realistic scene.  However.  We then have Clooney.  So much of a cardboard cut out, that I really didn't care in the slightest for his fate.   Bullock was better, but still a touch obvious.  The whole broken woman who lost a kid, almost ready to give up, then the 're-birth' as she gets the suit off and floats about all embryonic like.....aye, aye, nice, but by 'eck they laid it on thick!  Overall a well worthwhile watch, but nothing like as good as the hype made out.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

CrazyFoxMachine

Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa

Exactly as it should have been - remarkably well done with strong continuity cake and a lot of very good moments. As an ancient Partridge fan I very much approve - it's clearly been very carefully thought about and serves both new viewers and familiars alike. Brilliant. Patridgetacular even.

Skullmo

South Park the movie. It was really good!
It's a joke. I was joking.

NapalmKev

Creepshow 3 - marginally better than number 2, with the stories actually being linked together this time. It's more funny/less Scary, and worth a watch if you've not seen it before.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Keef Monkey

That 'Thanks for the ride lady' story from Creepshow became the chorus to a song by an awful band I was in in high school, so it'll always have a place in my heart.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 17 March, 2014, 11:05:48 AM
That 'Thanks for the ride lady' story from Creepshow 2  became the chorus to a song by an awful band I was in in high school, so it'll always have a place in my heart.

Creepshow 3 is fecking awful and has none of the original creators present whatsoever.
In my opinion, avoid like the plague.

Tiplodocus

CREEP
A British effort at one of those psycho hillbilly type horror movies from back in 2004.

Franka Potente forgets to sound the fire alarms and so ends up in a dangerous game of cat and mouse with a psycho hillbilly in London's tube network.

The baddy's origin is blurred (fair enough) but his raison d'etre did need work and there seems to be no effort to explain how all of a sudden he goes on a mad kill frenzy; topping people who will be missed rather than just quietly knocking off the odd homeless person now and again for, presumably, food ([spoiler]Is that why he stors George and Franka in the cages?).[/spoiler].

For the plot to make any snese whatsoever, the tube network would have to be run by people who are actually cannibalistic humanoid underground dwellers themselves and have set things up so they keep their brethren fed. 

I didn't even think the gore was that well done.

Extra points awarded for sterotyping the Jocks as homeless junkies. Only interesting/refreshing bit? The heroine is a bit of an unlikeable arse.

Keef Monkey

I wasn't keen on this either, although the director went on to make some films I do really like, Severance, Triangle and Black Death. If you haven't seen them give them a bash, Triangle in particular is like a good Futureshock/Terror Tale I thought.

sheldipez

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 17 March, 2014, 04:22:10 PM
Quote from: Keef Monkey on 17 March, 2014, 11:05:48 AM
That 'Thanks for the ride lady' story from Creepshow 2  became the chorus to a song by an awful band I was in in high school, so it'll always have a place in my heart.

Creepshow 3 is fecking awful and has none of the original creators present whatsoever.
In my opinion, avoid like the plague.

None of the previous installments had what you would call big budget (though some great set design from long time Romero collaborator Cletus Anderson) but #3 looks like it was made on a few hundred dollars, the segments make little sense either. I thought it was junk.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 17 March, 2014, 05:13:59 PM
I wasn't keen on this either, although the director went on to make some films I do really like, Severance, Triangle and Black Death. If you haven't seen them give them a bash, Triangle in particular is like a good Futureshock/Terror Tale I thought.

I think I saw SEVERANCE and probably enjoyed it more than CREEP despite the presence of Danny Dyer (he gives good lad in it, if I recall). And I just loved the look on Toby Stephens' face when... well, you know.

MR. ELIMINATOR

Watched nymphomaniac volumes 1 & 2. Didn't think it was that great really. I didn't like how it was the main character telling her life story to some guy with flashbacks split into chapters, instead of just making up the film with the flashback footage only, if that makes sense?

I found it kept upsetting the pace of the film and a little frustrating. Also, the sex being real didn't make a noticeable difference to me and was probably more to be controversial so more people will watch it.

Also, I watched Only lovers left alive.

I am a big fan of Jim Jarmusch, but I haven't really enjoyed any of his films since Ghost Dog.
It is good, but there still seems to be something missing.

Goaty

Bloody hell!

This is brilliant short horror film!

Lights Out

http://vimeo.com/82920243

COMMANDO FORCES

Fungus

Ta for this - good stuff   :P