Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttonman

Charlton Heston Western Will Penny and then some vintage Fritz Lang with 'Fury' - innocent man gets target by a mob when accused of being a kidnapper - strong stuff featuring Toto out of 'The Wizard of Oz'.

Also saw 'Oz : The Great and Powerful' and really enjoyed it - on Netflix and well worth a look.

hazy efc

I finally got round to watching guardians of the galaxy last night its a lot of fun i really enjoyed it, It reminded me of some of the films from the 80's i loved as a kid like back to the future and indana jones.

CrazyFoxMachine

The Fifth Element

Almost impossible to separate my childhood adoration of it even at a near twenty-year remove (!) - an addictive blend of 90s blockbuster, winningly obscure bit-parts, glorious French design and silly characters. Such a hoot to watch again, even if its sheer breathlessness creates logicholes and pushes a certain amount of rushing-to-the-finish.

At such far remove it's hard to fault the scope of it - and easier to forgive the 90s blockbuster tropes chokingly stuffed up in there. Perhaps it's time for Besson to get his space opera on again.

radiator

Watched Pride last night, and absolutely loved it. It's an unashamed crowd-pleaser - cynics might knock it for being a bit too broad or playing a bit fast and loose with the true events it's based on, but you'd have to have a heart of stone not to be moved by it (I may have welled up a little at various points). The cast is stuffed with great British character actors like Paddy Considine, Bill Nighy, Dominic West and Imelda Staunton and a whole host of promising newcomers - and they're all great.

Wonderful film, thoroughly deserved to have been a Full Monty-sized hit. 5/5

ThryllSeekyr

Watched and enjoyed Maleficent (Should really be Femaleficent ;) this afternoon despite the obvious infantile imagery of fairies in and goblins, but this is a Walt Disney feature and that is to be expect. I have many a memory of watching a lot of the old classics in my pre-adolescents every Sunday night when it was shown on regular pre-cable television.

I know I did say earlier that this personality does remind me a bit of a female version of Myrddin from Slaine by virtue of that horned headdress I thought she was wearing before I was shown by somebody here that she is well known character in Disney folklore and my confusion there may not be sound.

She's some sort of demonic fairy. Like one of the Teiflng from Dungeons & Dragons - World of Planescape who these extra planar creatures. They all possess horns and a tail, and the wings I'm not sure of. It's otherwise a very close comparison. You would learn more about them from playing the Neverwinter MMO. The are one of the four or five playable races.

As often do..... I stopped watching the film about two third of the way through, to hope back on this computer and reactivate my new bankcard and then only saw the rest of it in while not having my full attention on the computer screen. I only recall a awesome looking dragon that would have put Dragon heart and that so called official Dungeons & Dragon's film. So this is kind of like a official D&D for young girls and some boys.

She kind of reminds me of a Plover with those dangerous spurs in her feathered wings and a old Spell-Jammer character of mine. A Xichil Transmuter/Mage with body modification of large butterfly wings that gave her a 24-25 flying speed. She could also cast illusionary spells that would dazzle and amaze. There is no other physical resembelance except that they could use magic, had wings, that allowed them to fly and are both female. My character also did this thing where they flew low over a large body of water while dragging the semi-conscious body of some adversary through it and then let them go. Which is what I though of when seeing her do this.....

[spoiler]
Made something click inside me and then she lost her wings, but got them back towards the end.
[/spoiler] :D

I soon retired the character because I don't like pretending to be female aliens and made up character based on and called King Arthur.

Buttonman

Quicksand - Mickey Rooney borrowing $20 from the till starts a downwards spiral that sees him soon owing £3k and involved in murder. Also saw When in Rome but I'm not proud of the fact!

Ghost MacRoth

Frost/Nixon

Was on telly last night, so decided to settle in to watch again.  really is great performances from both Langella and Sheen.  One of those films that I expect I'll be enjoying each viewing for years to come.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Greg M.

Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 01 June, 2015, 05:10:28 PM
Frost/Nixon

Was on telly last night, so decided to settle in to watch again.  really is great performances from both Langella and Sheen.  One of those films that I expect I'll be enjoying each viewing for years to come.

I remember the first time I saw it, I thought it was enjoyable but not amazing - however, I've since seen it multiple times and it has turned out to be a very re-watchable film, for exactly the reason you mention above. I love Michael Sheen in almost anything - his Kenneth Williams and his Brian Clough are superb - but Langella's Nixon is just perfect.

Ghost MacRoth

Quote from: Greg M. on 01 June, 2015, 05:15:34 PM
I love Michael Sheen in almost anything

Ditto.  With the very notable exception of Tron Legacy, I don't think I have ever seen him turn in a bad performance.  And yep, Langella just has it perfect.  Usually any portrayal of Nixon is of the negative aspects, making him seem an unreal sort of character, making it hard to identify with him on any level.  Langella manages to show that while the man was an utter bawbag of the highest order, he was still just a man.  He had faults, he made mistakes, but he still had feelings, and a deep seated ideal that he was doing the right thing.....most of the time! ;)
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

JamesC

Shutter Island

I really enjoyed this. It had a very pulpy EC Comics vibe about it and featured great performances throughout (Ben Kinglsey as the creepy boss of a hospital for the crininally insane - what's not to like?).
It was based on a novel but I'm sure I've read a comic of this (or very similar) at some point in the past.

von Boom

San Andreas. Should be renamed Dwayne Johnson's Day of Testosterone.

This film was a vehicle for Johnson to show how manly he is on screen. No discernible plot. Simply a parade of him doing manly things in a manly way. Dreadful.

Even the girl playing Johnson's daughter is manly in that she shepherds a couple of unfortunate English boys through the mayhem of the film.

I saw this film for free and I still want my money back.

Only see this film if you have a superhuman tolerance for stupid.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: von Boom on 01 June, 2015, 08:48:05 PM
San Andreas.
Only see this film if you have a superhuman tolerance for stupid.

I do. And a fucking huge crush on Dwayne. So I'm in.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Professor Bear

It stars the Rock.

Wing Commander often made me think of those stories John Wagner and Alan Grant used to tell about how they'd write things to amuse themselves and would say the lines out loud to make each other laugh or to see if the lines sounded stupid.  I think the people who made this could have done some of that before they turned on the cameras.  Of particular note for sheer ear-numbing stupidity is the thing where one of the space soldiers dies and then their mates act like they never existed, which simply doesn't ring true even before you get to the shockingly bad dialogue in which this information is delivered.  Never been in the army myself, but I know soldiers remember their dead - though it's far from the stupidest thing that happens in a very stupid film.
Could have been decent B-movie fodder, this.  Wouldn't have taken much.

ThryllSeekyr

You know he's now in line for Big Trouble In Little China remake.

After the likes Total Recall, I'm really not sure if today's special fx are going to lift this one above the original. I'm sure it would be just as remembered as that other film was.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 01 June, 2015, 09:47:30 PM
I do. And a fucking huge crush on Dwayne. So I'm in.

He's barely enough these days; not even the two-pronged assault of manliness that is The Rock and Kurt Russell could save Furious 7 from itself (or Vin Diesel's bromance).