Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richerthanyou

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 12 February, 2016, 12:53:12 PM
Crikey- necro boarder!

Is it his thing to come back once every 3 years to make a post and then disappear again?

Just saw Watchmen for the first time ever. I quite enjoyed it but I haven't read the comics so I don't have anything to compare it to as far as that goes.

Currently watching The Signal. A guilty pleasure of mine. I'd call it a low budget sci-fi horror set in the suburbs. If you get the chance, give it a try. I'm not going to tell you it's perfect by any means but if you are sick of the usual Hollywood cookie cutter film crap, give this a watch. Might make your day a little better.
(  ゚,_ゝ゚)   

NapalmKev

The Forest - A young woman travels to Japan to find he twin sister who has apparently gone missing in the infamous 'Aokigahara Forest' (Suicide Forest).

It was ok. Some good performances from the lead cast and not a bad tale at all. Certainly not as Shit as a lot of critics have been saying. Worth a watch!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: richerthanyou on 13 February, 2016, 05:55:44 PM
Quote from: Bolt-01 on 12 February, 2016, 12:53:12 PM
Crikey- necro boarder!

Currently watching The Signal. A guilty pleasure of mine. I'd call it a low budget sci-fi horror set in the suburbs. If you get the chance, give it a try. I'm not going to tell you it's perfect by any means but if you are sick of the usual Hollywood cookie cutter film crap, give this a watch. Might make your day a little better.

Oddly enough, I watched this last night.

A prick-tease of a film, best avoided. It seduces you with a decent concept, a bit of intrigue and a promise of a pay-off before a conclusion that slams the door on your face.

More plot holes than a swiss cheese, covered by a sauce of ambience.

It
Lock up your spoons!

TordelBack

Thor 2: The Dark World.  Finally made it to the end, on the third try. Meh. Feels like a mash-up of bits from other much better Marvel movies, notably Thor, Avengers and bizarrely GotG, which it actually precedes (so maybe GotG is recycling... But a lot more successfully). I don't know where all the cute culture-clash humour and magic-v-technology aesthetic from the first one went, because now Stellan Skarsgard is the bumbling comic relief and everyone else, even Loki and the Warriors Three, are horribly po-faced, while Asgard has turned into a fairly standard SF city, but with swords. Shouldn't Asgardian ack-ack guns be magic ballistae, or something? Jaimie Alexander is pitifully underused again, Renee Russo[spoiler] is unceremoniously fridged, and the Trickster God seems to be reduced to exactly one trick, which he uses over and over and over again, murdering any hope of the final 'twist' working at all.  [/spoiler]

The missus reckons things could have been salvaged by Hemsworth and Eccelstons's clothes being ripped off in their final incomprehensible tussle, but I'm not so sure.

I'm just left wondering how 'the ancients' built Snowdon.

Alongside Iron Man 2 as one of the only Disney Marvels I didn't really care for, and the first Thor is one of my faves.

TordelBack

Hawkmumbler

Escape Plan (2013). Alright but nothing special.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tordelback on 14 February, 2016, 12:38:40 PMMeh. Feels like a mash-up of bits from other much better Marvel movies

Alan Taylor has complained that the version Marvel released bore little resemblance to the film he shot but given that he then went on to make the widely derided Terminator: Jenny's Cyst (and subsequently engaged in some pretty laughable hand-waving over its shitness*) my theory is that Dark World is more or less what Marvel were able to salvage from whatever mess Taylor had made of it.

Cheers

Jim

*Alleged shitness. I haven't seen it.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JayzusB.Christ

In the middle of watching the original Rollerball; I was kind of disappointed that it wasn't half as violent as Death Game 1999; its, er, homage in Action.  And I wish James Caan would speak up a bit; I'm a quiet lad meself but I'm not in the films, am I?

And Richerthanyou - read the comics, for feck's sake, will you?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 14 February, 2016, 01:53:58 PM
my theory is that Dark World is more or less what Marvel were able to salvage from whatever mess Taylor had made of it.

And is also the result of whatever film Marvel approved for him to make. Joss Whedon did emergency fly-ins to try and fix that script during the shoot.

John Favreau suffered a similar fate on Iron Man 2 yet Iron Man is a decent film.

TordelBack

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 14 February, 2016, 02:16:03 PM
John Favreau suffered a similar fate on Iron Man 2 yet Iron Man is a decent film.

And yet Shane Black did a decent job on Iron Man 3 - possibly helped by a show-stopping performance (or two) from Ben Kingsley, delivering what I personally thought was a really fantastic twist. Mickey Rooney didn't quite manage to render the same assistance in IM2.

For me The Dark World falls short because it seems rather embarrassed by its subject - Asgardian gods versus the dark elves of Svartalfheim. So instead of lots of swagger, braggadocio and armies of gold-clad vikings fighting pointy-eared freaks in fantasy worlds, we have an uncomfortable swing towards invading spaceships, flying chariot chases and wormhole portals opening in yet amother major western city. There are a few good sequences and ideas - the reveal of a mourning Loki, Chris O'Dowd's doomed date, the earlier fantasy battles... But basically the gusto with which Brannagh embraced the daftness of the Norse Gods made them seem much larger and more fun than the bland concerns of Midgard, while this one just can't wait to reduce it to a trailer for The Old Republic MMO.

Professor Bear

One thing I did find amusing about Thor 2 was that it's not hard to see it as a remake of Beastmaster 2: Through the Portal of Time, which is also a shit sequel to a surprisingly good original, and has many failings that Thor 2 replicates - only B2 did it decades ago and should ideally have been viewed as a warning sign rather than a guide book.

Mardroid

I liked Thor 2.

Last film I watched was the cartoon The 12 Tasks of Astrerix.

I used to love Asterix comics as a child, and I'm sure I still would. ( I mean to pick up collections at some point. I only ever bought one Asterix comic, and got the majority from the School library, and possibly other libraries.)

I wasn't very keen on the cartoon though. I think some of the humour was a bit too silly and aimed more at kids rather than the more universal humour of the comics. Also I think a lot of it just reads better off the page.

I'm curious if my experience of the other Asterix films on Netflix are the same.

Mardroid

Reanimator

Warped. Twisted. Rather sick... but rather entertaining.
[spoiler]
Amused by the decapitated head telling his body where to go. I.e., how can the head speak if his lungs are in his body, and how can his body hear him?
[/spoiler]

There was some [spoiler]nude lady abusive stuff at the end [/spoiler] where I think they went too far. I guess it could be argued it was so over the top it was in the realm of farce, but that was a kind of nastiness the film could have done without.

Zenith 666

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 14 February, 2016, 01:53:58 PM
Quote from: Tordelback on 14 February, 2016, 12:38:40 PMMeh. Feels like a mash-up of bits from other much better Marvel movies

Alan Taylor has complained that the version Marvel released bore little resemblance to the film he shot but given that he then went on to make the widely derided Terminator: Jenny's Cyst (and subsequently engaged in some pretty laughable hand-waving over its shitness*) my theory is that Dark World is more or less what Marvel were able to salvage from whatever mess Taylor had made of it.

Cheers

Jim

*Alleged shitness. I haven't seen it.

It's anything but Alleged shittiness jim.Genisys is a travesty that pisses all over the first movie and it's incredible sequel and worse Cameron endorsed it which I presume he did without actually fucking seeing it.I stayed to the end because I didn't believe it could get much worse than retconning out the first two movies but it does and spectacularly.Salvation is a masterpiece in comparison.My advice watch the terminator and it's sequel for the thousandth time.