Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

"Detriments, is it? Detriments!? Well, let me remind you that it was detriments like us what built this bloody empire! And the bloody Raj! Hats on..."

Michael Caine and Sean Connery set fire to the screen in the sublime The Man Who Would Be King. A quid from the charity shop - bargain of the month!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

I bloody love that film: "you call that a ruby Peachey? Now THIS is a ruby!"

The Legendary Shark

It really is fantastic, isn't it? The end ("...Daniel never let go of Peachy's hand...") always brings a tear to my eye.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Professor Bear

Wonder Woman - a competent but characterless superhero flick.  Hammers the cliche button like crazy, "there are no men on this island now if you'll excuse me I have to go pick up my three year old from school" pretty much sums up the internal logic, and that Ares stuff at the end where he was real, then not real, then real but someone else, and then wasn't manipulating people to go to war at all but actually he really was because "they're doing it to themselves" got really old quite quickly.  There is also something incredibly crass about people in clown costumes fighting in the trenches of a war, and the film lacks the courage of its supposed convictions when it presents the Germans as one step away from being Klingons - especially when it takes pains to paint them as the architects of war crimes and the Allies as inherently noble underdogs.  Ends with the expected CGI-fest, though Steve Trevor does his old man proud by going out like George Kirk.

Aftermath - another feel-good Arnold Schwarzenegger movie in which he avenges the wrongful death of his wife and pregnant daughter and good prevails and evil is punished and OH NO WHAT IS HAPPENING...
As best I can describe it, it's like someone got an idea for a comedy sketch for Arnie to do about how his character suffers an injustice and then is too old to Arnie-up and take on an army in revenge, and Arnie for some reason agreed to be in the sketch but they shot too much footage and only trimmed the jokes when it came to editing.  There's no reason that craggy, monolithic face can't be utilised in a serious drama about a lonely old man left with nothing but memories - and to be fair, Arnie nails the whole haunted look of isolated despair thing down - but this isn't that movie.  maybe worth a look if you're morbidly curious, but apart from that, no.

Frank

Quote from: Professor Bear on 25 August, 2017, 07:51:30 PM
Wonder Woman - a competent but characterless superhero flick ... There is also something incredibly crass about people in clown costumes fighting in the trenches of a war ...

And sexy. James Cameron finds the film's depiction of its heroine very, very sexy:

"All of the self-congratulatory back-patting Hollywood's been doing over Wonder Woman has been so misguided. She's an objectified icon, and it's just male Hollywood doing the same old thing! I'm not saying I didn't like the movie but, to me, it's a step backwards. Sarah Connor was not a beauty icon. She was strong, she was troubled, she was a terrible mother, and she earned the respect of the audience through pure grit. And to me, [the benefit of characters like Sarah] is so obvious. I mean, half the audience is female!"

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/aug/24/james-cameron-well-never-be-able-to-reproduce-the-shock-of-terminator-2

Not sure I agree. Whatever Cameron's intentions, all the non-morphing talk about T2 was Hamilton's newly hot body. Plus, I'm not sure there's anything wrong with objectification - the problem's surely when that's the only way a group is presented or valued.

Mardroid

Quote from: Dandontdare on 25 August, 2017, 06:43:36 PM
I bloody love that film: "you call that a ruby Peachey? Now THIS is a ruby!"
a

Possibly my favourite Conner and Caine film. I'm comparing it to the films they star in individually too, otherwise this wouldn't say much...

Colin YNWA

The Brillaint Thai classic The Tears of the Black Tiger. A film that couldn't be imagined from western cinema, if only becuse on the surface its such a unsubtle parody of just that.

However the hyper-realsied visual, acting and script, cut through with glorious moments of beautiful clarity raise this beyond its simple surface quality and make it a fantastic look at what it is to grow up and how the world tries us.

Yet its so playful on the surface as it be a effortless, joyous story at the same time. The two juxetaposed lead to a simply compelling combination. A film experience not quite like any other I've seen.

von Boom

Finally got around to seeing Spiderman: Homecoming. I'll admit I was confused by the title for the longest time, but now I understand. They could have dropped the whole Homecoming part IMO.

Overall it was quite enjoyable, but there was far too much Tony Stark (as I feared from the promos).

[spoiler]And I was pleasantly shocked to find Michael Keaton's villain as the father of Peter's love interest. It was nice to be surprised for a change.[/spoiler]

The entire cast was very good and of course Marisa Tomei is still a stunner.

Goaty

Netflix's Death Note

It about a high school student who discovers a notebook "Death Note" and if he wrote name of person, it will died. It based on Japanese Manga series. Think people would don't like it cos of white casting.

I really enjoying it. Very dark and thriller, deaths was very well done (Sorry for said that!)

[spoiler]Willem Dafoe as Ryuk was nice touch, so remind of Green Goblin, but think it could better version of Green Goblin! Also he is the best thing of the film[/spoiler]

Mardroid

I saw that today as well! I was a bit cynical what with it being a Western(ish) take on the Japanese programme, but it actually was okay.

[spoiler] I found this version of Light a bit less ruthless than the Japanese version (the latter started off just targeting villains but wasn't opposed to killing police, etc, if they got in the way) which I guess made him a bit easier to root for. He was also a lot less ranty.[/spoiler] 

I wouldn't say it was better overall,  however but it wasn't a bad adaptation.

I was a bit surprised as I thought it was a series. This first episode is really long and is covering quite a bit of ground, I thought. Silly me. I think a series would have done it better justice, but maybe it's a good thing as the Japanese anime got there first.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Death Note.

Rubbish. Tone changed every two minutes, from Final Destination to Sherlock via Marilyn Manson.

And, I'm sorry, but even I can't suspend disbelief enough to accept a remote school tortures orphans to make them into Great Detectives. They then work with the police? Who are okay with that?
Lock up your spoons!

Professor Bear

After watching Death Note, I can see why weeaboos hate it: its flaws are huge and glaring, but they're the flaws of the original work magnified by an overly-literal script that excludes the kind of localised nuance necessary to create a believable fiction.  Basically Death Note - a Western film - is an advertisement for why insisting on arbitrary and pointless notions of "retaining authenticity" over authorial intent in localised translations of foreign works is both unworkable and destructive to art, as this could have been a great deal better if it just ignored the source material and went its own route, since one thing western film has done well over the decades is chart a course through the tropes herein which draw heavily from the likes of Wishmaster and Final Destination.  Western cinema had this one in the bag, but making it emulate the storytelling shorthand of the dramatic school of a distinct culture just drags it into ham-fisted logical jumps and almost comically-bad dialogue.
Which is not to say it's without merit: the cast are good (and it's great to know that Lakeith Stanfield is a bit mad), Ryuk is well-utilised, the director does a great job, and the soundtrack draws from teen comedies and the work of John Carpenter with equal nonchalance.  Ironically, the audience I can see most benefiting from and enjoying this are the audience that weeaboos seem desperate to exclude from enjoying Japanese culture: kids.  Hopefully there are enough bad parents out there who don't encode their Netflix access to allow enough kids to watch this and make it successful enough to get a sequel, because I've seen a lot worse than this.

Mattofthespurs

The Hitman's Bodyguard.

Very.
Very.
Bad.

2/10

Keef Monkey

Jurassic World - I didn't think this was particularly bad, but it definitely wasn't very good either. I think the original is one of the greatest blockbuster movies ever made (and one of my happiest and most vivid childhood cinema memories) so that makes it all the more disappointing that this is so...standard. Also, given the amount of money that was probably thrown at it (and how well the original still holds up) I was kind of surprised that the effects weren't a lot better.

Transporter 2 - Ooooft. I'd seen the first film years ago and while it wasn't good, it was fun throwaway beer and a movie action fodder so I stuck this on hoping for more of the same. Just couldn't get into it given how appallingly executed it all is. If you ever wanted to perfectly illustrate to someone how important competent direction and editing is to an action scene, then sticking on a double bill of The Raid 2 and this should do it. The choreography might have been fantastic, I can't comment on that because I didn't see any of it.

Hawkmumbler

Kinda glad my interest in Death Note is firmly planted in 2006, and no interest in revisiting the franchise I so fell out of love with.