Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Quote from: TordelBack on 09 December, 2013, 07:09:30 PM
I think it may be worse than that, verging on slightly brilliant.  I think he actually answers them with: "It wasn't easy, believe me".

I remember it as "It was blah-dee difficult!". Classic scene.

Jaws The Revenge is up there with Batman & Robin in the league of unloved fourquels with unregarded merit.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Dandontdare on 09 December, 2013, 07:21:13 PM
As for Robin Hood films, I've got a soft spot for Robin and Marian (1976) with Sean Connery as a middle aged Robin and Audrey Hepburn (!) as Marion.

I love Robin & Marian. Watching knackered old foes struggle to lift their swords against each other has never been more moving (and Marian as a broken-hearted, post-suicidal nun). A great cast too. Understated and under-rated.

TordelBack

Quote from: Dandontdare on 09 December, 2013, 07:21:13 PM
As for Robin Hood films, I've got a soft spot for Robin and Marian (1976) with Sean Connery as a middle aged Robin and Audrey Hepburn (!) as Marion.

My favourite of the many I've seen.  Whatever version of Robin Hood I got hold of first as a nipper, it featured Robin's death-scene where he is treacherously bled by the prioress prior to firing a last arrow into the forest, and that was the bit of the story that affected me most deeply.  The melancholic ending of the witty Connery version was the one that gybed best with that feeling, as well as injecting some romance into its own version of events.

Mabs

My favourite ever Robin Hood is Michael Palin's snob of a hood in Time Bandits, who robbed the rich to feed himself!

Robin Hood: "And you're a robber too. How long have you been a robber?"

Strutter: "Four foot one"

Robin Hood: "Good lord! Jolly good. Four foot one? Well that-that-that is-is- a long time, isn't it?"

:lol:

He's the first Robin Hood I remember as a kid, and that's why he's my favourite!

Edit: I meant to say John Cleese!
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Ancient Otter

Quote from: TordelBack on 09 December, 2013, 10:16:43 PM
Whatever version of Robin Hood I got hold of first as a nipper, it featured Robin's death-scene where he is treacherously bled by the prioress prior to firing a last arrow into the forest, and that was the bit of the story that affected me most deeply. 

Are you referring to a book? I remember a old Robin Hood paperback that was knocking about at home when I was a kid, with black and white illustrations (like a knight with a horses head mask?) and it ended with that story of Robin's death, perhaps the same book?

Goaty

Quote from: Mabs on 09 December, 2013, 10:40:12 PM
My favourite ever Robin Hood is Michael Palin's snob of a hood in Time Bandits, who robbed the rich to feed himself!

Ahh sorry that was John Cleese

Mabs

Quote from: Goaty on 09 December, 2013, 10:43:06 PM
Quote from: Mabs on 09 December, 2013, 10:40:12 PM

Ahh sorry that was John Cleese

Yeah I 've cleared that up! Sorry, my bad.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

TordelBack

Quote from: Ancient Otter on 09 December, 2013, 10:40:44 PMI remember a old Robin Hood paperback that was knocking about at home when I was a kid, with black and white illustrations (like a knight with a horses head mask?) and it ended with that story of Robin's death, perhaps the same book?

Sounds like it!  Although I imagine there's a few candidates that'd answer to that description.

Ancient Otter

Quote from: TordelBack on 09 December, 2013, 11:06:10 PM
Quote from: Ancient Otter on 09 December, 2013, 10:40:44 PMI remember a old Robin Hood paperback that was knocking about at home when I was a kid, with black and white illustrations (like a knight with a horses head mask?) and it ended with that story of Robin's death, perhaps the same book?

Sounds like it!  Although I imagine there's a few candidates that'd answer to that description.

It'll take a bit of a detective work alright but who knows maybe I'll find out one day. Back to films!

I, Cosh

Quote from: Ancient Otter on 09 December, 2013, 10:40:44 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 09 December, 2013, 10:16:43 PM
Whatever version of Robin Hood I got hold of first as a nipper, it featured Robin's death-scene where he is treacherously bled by the prioress prior to firing a last arrow into the forest, and that was the bit of the story that affected me most deeply. 
Are you referring to a book? I remember a old Robin Hood paperback that was knocking about at home when I was a kid, with black and white illustrations (like a knight with a horses head mask?) and it ended with that story of Robin's death, perhaps the same book?
I too have a recollection of this. However, I may be mixing it up with the bit in 1066 and All That where he misses the window and they have to bury him on top of the wardrobe.
We never really die.

Theblazeuk

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 09 December, 2013, 05:27:57 PM
Goonies was on yesterday afternoon.
My wife loves this film but I just find it full of shouty annoying children.

I like the Goonies. But by god, it is shouty when you watch it with the sound turned up properly.

pictsy

Roujin Z

A fun anime scripted by Akira legend Katsuhiro Otomo.  It's not Akira though, it is a lot more light hearted.  At it's core is a treatment of the issue of care of the elderly, done with humour and levity which is at times rather crude.  This is a little hidden gem of anime cinema that is probably under appreciated due to comparisons with the aforementioned Akira. 

We're going to the beach!

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 10 December, 2013, 10:42:46 AM
Quote from: Daveycandlish on 09 December, 2013, 05:27:57 PM
Goonies was on yesterday afternoon.
My wife loves this film but I just find it full of shouty annoying children.

I like the Goonies. But by god, it is shouty when you watch it with the sound turned up properly.

I've seen the film so many times, and still don't like it.   :-X

pictsy

I considered watching The Goonies several weeks ago as I have memories from childhood of enjoying thoroughly whenever it appeared on TV.  I decided not to as I became acutely aware that I may remember it being better than it is and it may not have aged well.

Other films I am cautious of for this reason are Flight of the Navigator and Inner Space.