Main Menu

Dredd - Final Judgement 'Special' Edition

Started by Tjm86, 07 November, 2018, 05:11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

The news of this dropping in my in box sent me scurrying for the shop.  Limited edition 200 print run, Signed Jock Prints.  I was within a hairs breadth of banging in an order.  Then it hit me ....

Paperback!

I can appreciate the standard edition being paperback but come on, special edition?  So the colorised Charley's War, the Mazeworld 'special edition', ... paperback.  El Mestizo, 13th Floor .... hardback.

I've no objection to paperback editions but would like the option.  I can appreciate that demand might not make it viable but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of rhyme or reason.   :(

moly

Same here I was about to order until I realised it was paperback

CalHab

Yeah, the Mazeworld one was particularly disappointing.

robert_ellis

It seems odd when the earlier Movie Dredd reprint was a hardcover. I'd imagine most people want a matching pair. The Mazeworld and Charlie's War reprints seem equally bizarre choices in softcover. Maybe hardcovers are destined to become endangered, with only the rare beasts like The 13th Floor allowed a limited outing.

Tjm86

That's the thing, this is the third volume from the 2012 Dredd world and the second that I've let pass by.  The lack of consistency is the real bug bear. 

<rant> I can understand the idea that this is niche, limited demand and that cost effectiveness is a challenge.  TBH I would much sooner pay an extra tenner for hardback, bookplate and print.  Special should mean precisely that.  Let's face it, it's not like these are targeted at youngsters with limited financial resources.  Way too many of us are KOS's that want to use any surplus cash we do find ourselves with from time to time on something special. </rant>

.... and breathe!

TordelBack

Hang about, "colourised Charlie's War"? Is this a thing now? How do I miss these things!

I've flicked through the colourised Halo Jones and despite approaching it with an entirely negative mindset I have to admit Nosenzo does an extraordinary job. Still adds absolutely nothing for me personally, but I can't deny the quality of the work, and if it sells and introduces a great story to new eyes then fair enough.

Ditto Charlie's War,  I suppose,  although I despair at the attitude that makes it necessary.

TordelBack

Auto correct changed all my Charley's to Charlie's. Apologies, angels.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 08 November, 2018, 09:35:57 PM
Hang about, "colourised Charlie's War"? Is this a thing now? How do I miss these things!

Is there another version? The most recent edition hasn't 'colourised' anything, it's reproduced the pages that were originally coloured in colour for (I think) the first time. I suspect the separations may have been recreated to correct for what would otherwise have been a horribly coarse halftone screen on better paper, but the intent was to re-present the colour pages as originally coloured.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

And a treat it is too: hopefully I misinterpreted Robert's remark. Have the third volume on my Santa list, and I can't wait - I don't think I've read any of that one before.

Tjm86

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 08 November, 2018, 09:44:49 PM
The most recent edition hasn't 'colourised' anything, it's reproduced the pages that were originally coloured in colour for (I think) the first time.

Sorry, that was what I meant.  Poor choice of words.  I think the French version included the colour pages in colour IIRC, plus in hardback.

:-\

NapalmKev

Quote from: Tjm86 on 07 November, 2018, 05:11:02 PM
...hardbacks

I've no objection to paperback editions but would like the option.  I can appreciate that demand might not make it viable but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of rhyme or reason.   :(

I prefer hardback books but maybe they don't sell very well these days. I'm amazed that the Deadworld Hardback  hasn't sold out on the 2000AD Shop. I bought one on it's release and another in the recent sale because...Why not?

As an aside - the promotional blurb for Deadworld is incomplete. It states 164 pages but makes no mention of hand-numbered Book (I own 125 and 155) and a set of four numbered prints featuring the Dark Judges in all of their grotesque glory.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: NapalmKev on 09 November, 2018, 10:10:57 AM
I prefer hardback books but maybe they don't sell very well these days.

I assume that's the reason. We're not privy to Rebellion's sales data, and I suspect they know their market a little bit better than we do. A couple of people saying here that Rebellion have lost a sale by not doing a hardcover of a specific trade isn't the same as actual data or the reality of a warehouse full of unsold books.

If there was money in hardbacks, you can be pretty sure they'd be doing more of them.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

IndigoPrime

My hope is for ongoing series that have already had hardbacks, Rebellion will at least provide the option via limited editions. I'd much prefer another Deadworld and Brass Sun hardback than paperbacks.

Steve Green

My general approach these days is digital or hardback.

I'm trying to replace some of the paperback trades with digital where I can, just for the convenience.

CalHab

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 09 November, 2018, 10:19:11 AM

I assume that's the reason. We're not privy to Rebellion's sales data, and I suspect they know their market a little bit better than we do. A couple of people saying here that Rebellion have lost a sale by not doing a hardcover of a specific trade isn't the same as actual data or the reality of a warehouse full of unsold books.

If there was money in hardbacks, you can be pretty sure they'd be doing more of them.

That's probably the case, but I reserve the right to be disappointed about it.