Main Menu

*** Prog 2000 ***

Started by Dash Decent, 08 September, 2016, 03:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McNulty

Well done to 2000AD for reaching prog 2000!
And what a great way to celebrate this milestone, with writers and artists old and new coming together to make this the best prog by far for ages!
My obvious favourite was Dredd/Strontium Dog written and drawn by two masters. Great to see my namesake make an appearance in this story.
It was great to see the anarchy of Kevin O'Neil within the prog, drawing Nemesis. The only problem I had was the final frame, which saw one of the worst villains in 2000AD crucified. I admit that was hard for me to read.
Also, the page before the Judge Anderson story stated that Robohunter was a Judge Dredd spin off. But I never connected Sam Slade's universe with Judge Dredd. Outside of a superficial naming of Brit-Cit, there is no overlap in these worlds. Grant and Roach really nailed the story and the art with this Anderson story.
Outside of these two complaints I want to say again how great this entire prog has come together. The Rogue Trooper and Sin-Dex stories were also enjoyable and having The Mighty One give us a tour was inspired. The Milligan/Dayglo piece at the end was interesting and hopefully should develop well.

All in all a great, great prog. Well done guys!

Grant Goggans

I really enjoyed this.  Everything in it was just glowing, like all the artists and writers were having a ball contributing.  My eyes are still returning to normalcy after McMahon's page.  And since you're here, David, I'll say that Tharg should have called on you to draw Anderson regularly as soon as Arthur Ranson stepped down.  If that means you couldn't have gone out anymore over the last decade, so be it.

That said, I'd have loved this prog even more if it had eight more pages.  That's my quibble.  It really needed a one-off episode of something more recent than Sin Dex to help the balance.  I'm hopeful the 40th anniversary prog really shows off how zarjaz the last several years have been, too!

Frank

Quote from: McNulty on 25 September, 2016, 10:37:17 PM
the page before the Judge Anderson story stated that Robohunter was a Judge Dredd spin off. But I never connected Sam Slade's universe with Judge Dredd. Outside of a superficial naming of Brit-Cit, there is no overlap in these worlds.

Those flirty lady cops in boob armour don't look like they spent fifteen years in the (second) hardest school on Earth. Can't remember Armitage mention that his department is staffed entirely by robots or getting hassle from sassy robot toilet roll holders either.

artdroid Roach

Quote from: Grant Goggans on 25 September, 2016, 10:48:24 PM
I really enjoyed this.  Everything in it was just glowing, like all the artists and writers were having a ball contributing.  My eyes are still returning to normalcy after McMahon's page.  And since you're here, David, I'll say that Tharg should have called on you to draw Anderson regularly as soon as Arthur Ranson stepped down.  If that means you couldn't have gone out anymore over the last decade, so be it.

That said, I'd have loved this prog even more if it had eight more pages.  That's my quibble.  It really needed a one-off episode of something more recent than Sin Dex to help the balance.  I'm hopeful the 40th anniversary prog really shows off how zarjaz the last several years have been, too!
That's very kind indeed. I was off drawing other strips at the time- like Batman and Star Wars... but who's heard of those? Drawing this episode was just so much fun and I'd jump at the chance to do more.

artdroid Roach

Well done to 2000AD for reaching prog 2000!
And what a great way to celebrate this milestone, with writers and artists old and new coming together to make this the best prog by far for ages!
My obvious favourite was Dredd/Strontium Dog written and drawn by two masters. Great to see my namesake make an appearance in this story.
It was great to see the anarchy of Kevin O'Neil within the prog, drawing Nemesis. The only problem I had was the final frame, which saw one of the worst villains in 2000AD crucified. I admit that was hard for me to read.
Also, the page before the Judge Anderson story stated that Robohunter was a Judge Dredd spin off. But I never connected Sam Slade's universe with Judge Dredd. Outside of a superficial naming of Brit-Cit, there is no overlap in these worlds. Grant and Roach really nailed the story and the art with this Anderson story.
Outside of these two complaints I want to say again how great this entire prog has come together. The Rogue Trooper and Sin-Dex stories were also enjoyable and having The Mighty One give us a tour was inspired. The Milligan/Dayglo piece at the end was interesting and hopefully should develop well.

All in all a great, great prog. Well done guys!
Thank you sir!

artdroid Roach

Quote from: Beaker on 25 September, 2016, 10:16:14 PM
Absolutely brilliant from cover to cover. 10/10

........and THAT is how you draw Anderson!
It is? Phew... that's a relief!

JOE SOAP

Umpty Candy gets a shout -

moldovangerbil

Agh! Of all the weeks for my Prog not to show up......*sob*

Steve Green

Quote from: Frank on 25 September, 2016, 11:18:29 PM
the page before the Judge Anderson story stated that Robohunter was a Judge Dredd spin off. But I never connected Sam Slade's universe with Judge Dredd. Outside of a superficial naming of Brit-Cit, there is no overlap in these worlds.

Those flirty lady cops in boob armour don't look like they spent fifteen years in the (second) hardest school on Earth. Can't remember Armitage mention that his department is staffed entirely by robots or getting hassle from sassy robot toilet roll holders either.

Aaah, I remember when it was all fanwank as far as the eye could see.

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php?topic=21694.0;nowap

IndigoPrime

Heh! It's been a while since Robin Low's name came up. We butted heads a few times on alt.2000ad about timelines. I never did get his infatuation with shoving Robo-Hunter into Dredd's timeline. (I do enjoy all that stuff, though, much like that guy who figured out a timeline that encompassed all of the Pixar films.)

The Monarch

Really good prog

Honestly only two complaints and they are minor. The derailing of the original ending to nemesis and the fact i want more david roach guess i'll just have to wait for the mega collection version of engram or dr who

IndigoPrime

Which Nemesis are we seeing in Prog 2000 though? For some reason, I interpreted this as only Torquemada going back into his original form, being attacked by the 'then' Nemesis, but being defeated again and ending up in an even worse punishment, goaded by the spirits of blitzpsears for an eternity.

Magnetica

Yep for me it makes no sense to consider Robo-Hunter a Dredd world story. So not sure why Tharg mentioned it. No better to class that as an aberration IMO.

As Frank alludes to there are just no references to Dredd's world in Robo-Hunter or vice-versa ( that I can remember anyway e.g. I didn't recall the Umpty Candy).

There is a recent thread in the general section on Dredd Verse strips and no-one mentioned Robo-Hunter ( or Strontium Dog for that matter ) so I guess the Hive Mind doesn't (actively) consider them to be related either.

It is possible to also draw links to Dredd from Invasion and therefore by extension Disaster 1990, Ro-Busters, ABC Warriors and by extension Nemesis, plus Harlem Heroes & Inferno but to do so is, in my view pretty pointless. It is much better to just enjoy them as their own stories. And I am guessing the contradictions will far out weigh the links that do make sense.

James Stacey

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 26 September, 2016, 12:33:50 PM
Which Nemesis are we seeing in Prog 2000 though? For some reason, I interpreted this as only Torquemada going back into his original form, being attacked by the 'then' Nemesis, but being defeated again and ending up in an even worse punishment, goaded by the spirits of blitzpsears for an eternity.
I did wonder that but it doesnt make much sense as 'then' Nemesis without all sorts of paradox.

Steve Green

Umpty Candy was mentioned by Smoking Joe the robot sent to Verdus, he kept offering out imaginary sweets.

It is all pointless, but if people get as much enjoyment from trying to link things together, then it's no different from the enjoyment of reading the stories as standalones.

Besides, creators like to link things - Al Ewing took the Strontium Dog future as a plot point in 'The Americans'

I imagine the main reason people didn't consider Stront as a Dreddworld thing is that a) it started in a totally different comic, and b) John said that it wasn't