Main Menu

Last to the party

Started by Jared Katooie, 21 November, 2010, 03:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared Katooie

This is a thread for people to confess all the jokes or references in the progs that they didn't get until years later. Ro-jaws and Hammerstein seems to be a popular one, for instance.

For myself, I was recently thumbing through Case-Files 5 and was reading the opening pages of "Judge Death Lives". The tour guide says: "Over here we have the uniform of Judge Hurst, the inventor of the flesh disintegrator. He will be remembered." Up until that point I had never realised the glaringly obvious joke that was being made.

So what stuff did you only figure out recently?

Dandontdare

Quote from: Jared Katooie on 21 November, 2010, 03:24:06 PM
"Over here we have the uniform of Judge Hurst, the inventor of the flesh disintegrator. He will be remembered." Up until that point I had never realised the glaringly obvious joke that was being made.

mmmm ... glaringly obvious? I still don't get it!

Kerrin

Damien Hirst? Dead things in fish tanks. Could be wrong DDD.

SmallBlueThing

Bit before his time, i'd think.
"Will be remembered", as in "there's not much of him left"/killed by his own invention.
SBT

Kerrin

Ohhhh, duh. I'll get back to picking my nose with my toe.

CrazyFoxMachine

Fractal FRiction - !

lol - as someone who started reading relatively late (first issue 1218) I spent a lot of time going WTF. Especially since my first Dredd arc was Sector House and I was there going "now... who the hell is THIS Rico - ?!"

I mean, I'm a guy who didn't get the Beatles pun until last year. Slow as a slow moose me.

Jared Katooie

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 21 November, 2010, 04:11:02 PM
Bit before his time, i'd think.
"Will be remembered", as in "there's not much of him left"/killed by his own invention.
SBT

Exactly. It's Judge Hurst's uniform, because his flesh got disintegrated.  :lol:

Dark Jimbo

Dredd living in 'Rowdy Yates block' only clicked with me a couple of years ago. In fairness, Rawhide was waaaaaay before my time.

And it took me quite a few years before I got the pun in the name 'Resyk.' I'd been pronouncing it in my head as something like 'Res-ik', and it was only when I realised it was supposed to be 'ree-syke', as in recycle, that I got it.
@jamesfeistdraws

Greg M.

From Strontium Dog - the Slavers of Druul. I wouldn't say I just got it recently, but it was many years after I read it that it finally clicked.

CrazyFoxMachine

That resyk one was the same for me for NO CONCEIVABLE REASON. I don't think it was til someone wrote in saying "I always thought it was 'REZZIK' - what a fool I've been!" Did I embarrassingly get the hint.

Whoops

Jared Katooie

I'll admit to the Resyk one as well.

"Ressik" just sounds better...

M.I.K.

Mentioned this on here before, but...

The diary of Danny Franks.

Greg M.

Quote from: M.I.K. on 22 November, 2010, 08:39:32 PM
Mentioned this on here before, but...

The diary of Danny Franks.

Oh dear lord. Bad Company is my favourite comic strip of all time... and I never got that until right now!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Greg M. on 22 November, 2010, 03:52:00 PM
From Strontium Dog - the Slavers of Druul. I wouldn't say I just got it recently, but it was many years after I read it that it finally clicked.

Well I only just, like right now after a bit of effort, got that one!

Greg M.

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 22 November, 2010, 08:54:43 PM
Quote from: Greg M. on 22 November, 2010, 03:52:00 PM

Well I only just, like right now after a bit of effort, got that one!

Even the fact their leader was called Black Gums didn't clue me in...  :)