Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

PEAKY BLINDERS. Bit like Taboo in that it's... er .. .  Probably less than historically accurate but who cares because it's stylish as.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: DrRocka on 04 March, 2017, 01:07:45 AM
Just finished watching The Good Place - really great fun. Kinda My Name Is Earl meets Old Harry's Game.
A woman wakes up in an office to be informed by a friendly Ted Danson that she's dead, and has arrived in The Good Place. It's a happy utopia, with her soul mate and excessively lovely neighbours all being wonderful
To one another. Trouble is, she knows she's not supposed to be there, having been less than wonderful in her life.
As the series goes on, bad things start to happen to The Good Place - does she 'fess up, and risk being sent to The Bad Place?
It rattles along at a hundred miles an hour, and refreshingly doesn't hold back developments til season finales etc- there are twists (and great laughs) in every episode.
Give it a try, I really enjoyed it. Last episode is a corker.

Took your advice and Pirate Bayed this - not brilliant and not dire but enjoyed it well enough. Ted Danson is, as always, great value and the rest of the cast do solid, good work. Some lovely ideas and snappy dialogue at work. This is never going to be a classic but, in my humble, is well worth a watch. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

Blasted Hellish double post, sorry.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

My Kneale-athon continued (with some delay) with The Stone Tapes (1972) which was very much my cup of tea. Early 70's Who aesthetic, sci-fi and horror molding in a modern take of a ghost story. Yeah so what if the budget caused the final reveal to be a bit pants, the build up of suspense, intrigue and mystery as well as some rather tidy scares made for a solid made for TV feature.

Also, the DVD I picked up from 101 contained Ghostwatch (1992), another under appreciated made for TV movie that really needs more love.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 12 March, 2017, 11:00:19 PM
Quote from: DrRocka on 04 March, 2017, 01:07:45 AM
Just finished watching The Good Place - really great fun. Kinda My Name Is Earl meets Old Harry's Game.
A woman wakes up in an office to be informed by a friendly Ted Danson that she's dead, and has arrived in The Good Place. It's a happy utopia, with her soul mate and excessively lovely neighbours all being wonderful
To one another. Trouble is, she knows she's not supposed to be there, having been less than wonderful in her life.
As the series goes on, bad things start to happen to The Good Place - does she 'fess up, and risk being sent to The Bad Place?
It rattles along at a hundred miles an hour, and refreshingly doesn't hold back developments til season finales etc- there are twists (and great laughs) in every episode.
Give it a try, I really enjoyed it. Last episode is a corker.

Took your advice and Pirate Bayed this - not brilliant and not dire but enjoyed it well enough. Ted Danson is, as always, great value and the rest of the cast do solid, good work. Some lovely ideas and snappy dialogue at work. This is never going to be a classic but, in my humble, is well worth a watch. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Not a joke: what genre is this? Is it a comedy, or a drama, or a mix?
Lock up your spoons!

The Legendary Shark

Comedy with a bit of afterlife drama thrown in.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Enigmatic Dr X

Hmm. Think I might track it down. Sounds my cup of Earl Grey.
Lock up your spoons!

Goaty

Mystery Science Theater 3000 is now on Netflix! So 20 films to catch up!

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Goaty on 15 March, 2017, 08:46:03 AM
Ooh OOOHH the new reboot series?!

I, Cosh

What's the opposite of addiction?

Watched the first two episodes of Fargo and I don't think I can be arsed with any more. Billy-Bob Thornton is great. I could watch a whole series of him driving around smalltown America being an absolute dick to people. Unfortunately, Martin Freeman is no William H Macy and both his character and the policewoman are too clearly pale copies of the ones from the original film.
We never really die.

Goaty

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 15 March, 2017, 09:13:07 AM
Quote from: Goaty on 15 March, 2017, 08:46:03 AM
Ooh OOOHH the new reboot series?!

No, this one from 1999.

Goaty

Quote from: I, Cosh on 15 March, 2017, 09:27:15 AM

Watched the first two episodes of Fargo and I don't think I can be arsed with any more. Billy-Bob Thornton is great. I could watch a whole series of him driving around smalltown America being an absolute dick to people. Unfortunately, Martin Freeman is no William H Macy and both his character and the policewoman are too clearly pale copies of the ones from the original film.

Can understand first two episodes not that good, but stay on long and it amazing and even series 2!!

sheldipez

I only watched the first episode and thought much the same, Billy-Bob really is great but I wasn't a fan of the rest of the supporting cast so didnt bother with the next episode.

Link Prime

Quote from: sheldipez on 15 March, 2017, 09:57:11 AM

I only watched the first episode and thought much the same, Billy-Bob really is great but I wasn't a fan of the rest of the supporting cast so didnt bother with the next episode.

Definitely worth sticking with, and not a huge commitment with only 10 episodes.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 14 March, 2017, 08:14:31 PM
Also, the DVD I picked up from 101 contained Ghostwatch (1992), another under appreciated made for TV movie that really needs more love.

hah - wouldn't call it a classic (it's got Mike bloody Reid in it FFS) but I remember all the hoo-hah when that was first broadcast as thousands of outraged viewers rang to complain that they had been scared under false pretences!