Main Menu

Recent posts

Books & Comics / Re: Whats everyone reading?
Last post by JayzusB.Christ - 15 April, 2024, 08:04:23 PM
Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 15 April, 2024, 07:30:36 PMThe Dark Tower starts well and descends into self-indulgent pap. Any book where the author is a character should be ignored.

As I say, I didn't enjoy The Dark Tower much (though the fact that it was an audiobook probably didn't help), but I'm not quite on board with your second point. I consider Grant Morrision's Animal Man run and Paul Auster's New York Trilogy absolute classics, for example.  Not to mention Psmith's Farewell...
Film & TV / Re: Current TV Boxset Addictio...
Last post by The Legendary Shark - 15 April, 2024, 07:58:26 PM

I'm 19 years late to the party but I just finished Rome. Blimey, it's a bit good innit?

Events / Re: Lawless 2024
Last post by Barrington Boots - 15 April, 2024, 07:40:27 PM
Garth Ennis added to the guest list!
Books & Comics / Re: Whats everyone reading?
Last post by The Enigmatic Dr X - 15 April, 2024, 07:30:36 PM
The Dark Tower starts well and descends into self-indulgent pap. Any book where the author is a character should be ignored.
General / Re: Wrap It Up
Last post by Funt Solo - 15 April, 2024, 07:11:34 PM
16 - Landmarks

The big numbers matter, and here we look at progs 500 and (one version of) 2000.

Prog 500's Special Souvenir Issue (from 1986) has, I think, twenty artists providing a gallery of thrills. Like any top twenty, it's probably safe to say that the passage of time would suggest a different grouping. This prog was a different size than normal, with shiny cover paper - heralding a bigger change coming twenty progs later.

---

Prog 2000's Galaxy of Stars (one of the variant covers from 2016) takes a different position - with Tharg dominating and the space-bus off in the background and obscuring the characters. That back cover's not really doing much - even if it is an exploding star.

Who's that next to Slaine, being cool on the back seat? Also - everyone is smiling (even Kano) except for Dredd.

---

Next: time-slices...
Film Discussion / Re: Civil War
Last post by Richard - 15 April, 2024, 05:46:27 PM
Very good point.

Based on Garland's track history, I'm still expecting this to be a great film.
Last post by Funt Solo - 15 April, 2024, 04:52:12 PM
I haven't seen it, but I've realized an irony based on the trailer. So, trailer-spoilers...

The complaint percolating through reviews seems to be that Alex Garland hasn't taken sides. Of course, this is entirely deliberate on his part, and he even has a scene in the trailer that explains clearly why.

A uniformed, armed man has stopped the protagonists on a roadside and is asking them which side they're on. One of the protagonists says that he's American. The gunman asks "which kind of American?" It's clear here that the wrong answer may well result in their summary execution.

Now reviewers are demanding to know what side Garland is on...
Last post by Richard - 15 April, 2024, 04:25:37 PM
83% on Rotten Tomatoes (based on 253 reviews).
News / Re: The Great Dante Readthroug...
Last post by Barrington Boots - 15 April, 2024, 04:06:19 PM
Quote from: Illyana on 08 April, 2024, 04:24:47 PMSimon will sign anything and everything you bring him at Lawless

I got Gunnar Hansen to sign a severed arm once so I could take this as a challenge.

Anyway, another superb episode of the podcast, thank you!
This is a really grim story tbh with some serious horror in it. That panel where Constantin has burned up the sex worker is horrific - something about the pose, her open mouth that makes my skin crawl... combine that with the state of Emmanuel after his chat with Constantin and we've got some of the nastiest images in the series imo. The scene with Dante and Lulu in the rain though is very very cool.

Pretty sure I've said this before on here or FB but Lulu is super-evil and in this story she reaches her peak imo, but she generally gets a bit of a free pass in Dante, basically because she's all sexy: she's an absolute monster but I'm pretty sure if she looked like Ursa she'd be regarded a lot differently.

Possibility of original Dante art at Lawless? Very interested in that! Or alternately, Sharko sketch.
Off Topic / Re: Threadjacking!
Last post by Le Fink - 15 April, 2024, 02:46:44 PM
That's most excellent JW. The only times I have attempted to give blood I have either fainted, vomited, or fainted and vomited. They managed to extract the blood but it has put me off rather.