Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cinebooks  (Read 19756 times)

Colin YNWA

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • testing testing...
    • View Profile
Re: Cinebooks
« Reply #135 on: 04 August, 2021, 02:40:23 PM »
I've got Islandia vol.1 coming in the post,...

Its great.

... It's just a shame Cinebook's translation is written in awkward dialogue lacking any elegance. I'm assuming the original language version (as well as being uncensored) is better....

Yeah the translation are a bit flat and ackward at times. Especially when you think of books like Asterix and the translation (which I imagine has a MUCH bigger budget!) there.

There are also art changes to remove nudity which can be a little clumsy at times.

broodblik

• Battle Hardened War Robot
  • watkykjy?
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 04 August, 2021, 02:41:34 PM »
I am a big fan off the Blake & Mortimer series.
Old age is the Lord’s way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death’s in case we didn’t take the hint.

The pen is mightier than the sword if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp.

Colin YNWA

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • testing testing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 04 August, 2021, 02:55:05 PM »

Interestingly that's one of the few I've struggled with. I also didn't get on with IR$ and Crusader. Other than those the one's I've read have all been winners.

broodblik

• watkykjy?
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 04 August, 2021, 03:01:51 PM »

Interestingly that's one of the few I've struggled with. I also didn't get on with IR$ and Crusader. Other than those the one's I've read have all been winners.

I think one off the biggest reasons is that the art reminds me of Tintin. Originally Edgar P. Jacobs worked in the Tintin studio hence the likeness.
Old age is the Lord’s way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death’s in case we didn’t take the hint.

The pen is mightier than the sword if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

• Sentient Tea Bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 04 August, 2021, 03:24:01 PM »
the 5 book 'kenya' epic is truly awe-inspiring ...
what a magnificent publisher.

Timothy

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 04 August, 2021, 05:58:27 PM »
Another Blake and Mortimer fan here. The Jacobs stories are a bit hit and miss plot wise, but the art is superb. The later follow-on stories have got some great writing that is true to the tone of the originals but pleasantly modernised. A personal favourite is The Francis Blake Affair.

broodblik

• watkykjy?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 04 August, 2021, 07:30:59 PM »
Mine is The Secret of the Swordfish, I just loved the scope of the whole thing but The Francis Blake Affair was pretty good as well.