Main Menu

The Dreddful Cyber Punk-Cast

Started by WhizzBang, 10 July, 2021, 04:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhizzBang

There is a podcast called 'The Dreddful Cyber Punk-Cast' that hasn't been mentioned here so I thought I would plug it in case anyone was interested in giving it a try.

It is a Judge Dredd Case Files podcast that is very detailed. Two americans with limited previous knowledge of Dredd or 2000AD read every panel and every speech bubble of every strip and talk about the art in every panel.

Since they started doing the Cursed Earth in CF2 I have been following it with my copy of The Cursed Earth open on my lap and this makes the show a much more enjoyable podcast experience, as they are finding little details in the art that I had never noticed before.

So, it is a show needs a bit more effort from the listener but is fun and interesting and the guys doing it are really enjoying what they are seeing, and are themselves endearing enough. They do like to read Dredd's speech bubbles with a cod-Stallone voice though.

The podcast is available on various platforms (Youtube, Apple Podcasts, Google podcasts, spotify, etc) with varying degrees of updatedness. The Youtube one seems to be the most up to date but is probably the least convenient to listen to.

In some ways, it is a bit like the Great Dante Readthrough podcast. Simon keeps bringing up all sorts of details about particular panels so that it also benefits from having the strip open in front of you while listening.

AlexF

Wow, going through every panel and every balloon - that sounds intense!!

WhizzBang

Yes, it may not be for everyone as they are scrutinizing it very closely. They can spend about 2 hours on three Dredd episodes but they do spot details and occasional inconsistancies that I had never noticed before.

GoGilesGo

Have listened to a couple of these on your rec, WhizzBang.

A lot of fun and the hosts' enthusiasm is awesome but it is very hard work to get through each episode.

As you say: 2 hours to do 18 pages of Dredd.

I plan to dip in and out of this current run discussing The Cursed Earth then see what they have to say about Judge Child Quest in a few months.

Far superior (IMHO) is Drokk!; part of the Wait, What? podcast, a monthly read through of the Case Files. Currently on Case Files 27.